    what would be a good one for me, what should i look for, etc?

    thanks all!
    brian
    Brian, Jul 24, 2003

  2. Brian

    Richard Guest

    "Brian" <> wrote in message
    news:GHFTa.97450$...
    > I am taking a 6000+ mile road trip in january to escape the NY snow. I

    need
    > a radar detector for the trip. I used to do 73max on the 65 interstate

    here
    > in NY, but on my trip last week to IL, my habit jumped to 78-80 on the
    > interstates. I can bet that on the 6000mile trip ill go faster too. I

    think
    > its a good idea to have a radar detector for the trip.
    >
    > I will buy off ebay. Here are allt he ebay radar detector section:

    http://listings.ebay.com/pool2/plistings/list/all/category39764/index.html?f
    rom=R11

    > Now, I dont want to spend a fortune, maybe 100, but less is good too. i

    dont
    > know what is good, whats not.. what the features i need are... etc, they

    all
    > look alike to me. can anyone help with my selection and offer some advice,
    > what would be a good one for me, what should i look for, etc?
    >
    > thanks all!
    > brian

    I would not buy one from an individual off of ebay.
    You might not get a working one.
    But if you do, get one with all the bells and whistles.

    Be warned though, new radar technology makes having a detector almost
    useless.
    Tests have shown you only get around a 1,000 foot warning today.
    Richard, Jul 24, 2003

  3. Brian

    Unk Guest

    On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 00:25:10 GMT, "Brian" <>
    wrote:

    >I am taking a 6000+ mile road trip in january to escape the NY snow. I need
    >a radar detector for the trip. I used to do 73max on the 65 interstate here
    >in NY, but on my trip last week to IL, my habit jumped to 78-80 on the
    >interstates. I can bet that on the 6000mile trip ill go faster too. I think
    >its a good idea to have a radar detector for the trip.
    >
    >I will buy off ebay. Here are allt he ebay radar detector section:

    <snip>

    1 - Buy from a reputable dealer: Staples, Radio Shack, Office Max, etc.
    2 - Don't depend on it saving you from a speeding ticket. It can't & won't.
    3 - Use cruise control. It saves gas and nerves.
    4 - Stop every 100 miles to stretch your legs and stay alert.

    Unk
    Unk, Jul 24, 2003
  4. Brian

    paul s Guest

    On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 00:25:10 +0000, Brian wrote:

    > I am taking a 6000+ mile road trip in january to escape the NY snow. I need
    > a radar detector for the trip. I used to do 73max on the 65 interstate here
    > in NY, but on my trip last week to IL, my habit jumped to 78-80 on the
    > interstates. I can bet that on the 6000mile trip ill go faster too. I think
    > its a good idea to have a radar detector for the trip.
    >
    > I will buy off ebay. Here are allt he ebay radar detector section:
    > http://listings.ebay.com/pool2/plistings/list/all/category39764/index.html?from=R11
    >
    > Now, I dont want to spend a fortune, maybe 100, but less is good too. i dont
    > know what is good, whats not.. what the features i need are... etc, they all
    > look alike to me. can anyone help with my selection and offer some advice,
    > what would be a good one for me, what should i look for, etc?

    Put a wooden block under the gas pedal, you cant press it so far down then.
    Save you from tickets and will also save you fuel.
    --
    Paul S
    paul s, Jul 24, 2003
  5. Here's some good advice, don't speed above what's posted. what ever is
    posted is there for a reason and if you abey the speed limit you will not
    need a radar detector.

    MELAD MARJI SR, Jul 26, 2003
  6. Brian

    Rosco Guest

    Unk <> wrote in

    > On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 00:25:10 GMT, "Brian"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>I am taking a 6000+ mile road trip in january to escape the NY snow. I
    >>need a radar detector for the trip. I used to do 73max on the 65
    >>interstate here in NY, but on my trip last week to IL, my habit jumped
    >>to 78-80 on the interstates. I can bet that on the 6000mile trip ill
    >>go faster too. I think its a good idea to have a radar detector for
    >>the trip.
    >>
    >>I will buy off ebay. Here are allt he ebay radar detector section:

    > <snip>
    >
    > 1 - Buy from a reputable dealer: Staples, Radio Shack, Office Max,
    > etc. 2 - Don't depend on it saving you from a speeding ticket. It
    > can't & won't. 3 - Use cruise control. It saves gas and nerves.
    > 4 - Stop every 100 miles to stretch your legs and stay alert.
    >
    > Unk

    I know from personal experience that Whistler is one of the best brands.
    I also know from experience that Radar Detectors are Illegal in some
    states,cities, or counties. You may want to check ahead. I don't
    remember what county it was here in TX that I was driving throught but a
    state trouper saw my radar detector on my dash, pulled me over and cited
    me for it. It was only a fifty dollar fine though.

    Rosco, Aug 30, 2003
  7. Brian

    Patrick Guest

    Rosco wrote:
    > Unk <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 00:25:10 GMT, "Brian"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am taking a 6000+ mile road trip in january to escape the NY
    >>> snow. I need a radar detector for the trip. I used to do 73max on
    >>> the 65 interstate here in NY, but on my trip last week to IL, my
    >>> habit jumped to 78-80 on the interstates. I can bet that on the
    >>> 6000mile trip ill go faster too. I think its a good idea to have a
    >>> radar detector for the trip.
    >>>
    >>> I will buy off ebay. Here are allt he ebay radar detector section:
    >>> <snip>

    >> 1 - Buy from a reputable dealer: Staples, Radio Shack, Office Max,
    >> etc. 2 - Don't depend on it saving you from a speeding ticket. It
    >> can't & won't. 3 - Use cruise control. It saves gas and nerves.
    >> 4 - Stop every 100 miles to stretch your legs and stay alert.
    >>
    >> Unk
    >>

    > I know from personal experience that Whistler is one of the best
    > brands. I also know from experience that Radar Detectors are Illegal
    > in some states,cities, or counties. You may want to check ahead. I
    > don't remember what county it was here in TX that I was driving
    > throught but a state trouper saw my radar detector on my dash, pulled
    > me over and cited me for it. It was only a fifty dollar fine though.

    Have you by any chance got an idea what the $-fine might be if you killed a
    person while using such a radar-detector.

    ($-castration, $-suicide, $-damnation, $-anguish, $-grief, $-... )

    Patrick, Aug 30, 2003
  8. Brian

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, Patrick mused:

    | Have you by any chance got an idea what the $-fine might be if you killed
    | a person while using such a radar-detector.

    The same as speeding without one.
    mhicaoidh, Aug 30, 2003
  9. Brian

    Radar Man

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Location:
    Butler, Ky
    Radar Detector Information

    Radar Detectors are what we do and have done for over 14 years, so yea we know what works. Now as for the gentleman who stated earlier that "Test" show that radar detectors only work for about 1000'. What "test" are you in reference to? How do you manage to group individual radar detectors and manufactures together into this 1000' range thing? As far as the others who stated go the speed limit. There is nothing made that is more effective at making the driver aware of his/her speed than a radar detector. When it goes off everyone, yes everyone looks to see there speed. Now as far as buying on ebay. You may save some money at first but then you realize you got a refurbished unit with no warranty. Infact with Escort, Beltronics, Rocky Mountain Radar or Beltronics if you buy from a unauthorized dealer/distributor you will not get a warranty at all. The best way to determine if someone is a authorized Escort or Beltronics dealer look at the product images if they are not professionally done ie: taken with digital camera in someones basement is not professional. or priced at a crazy low price those are big red flags. I will help you with your purchase simply go to www,radar-detector-superstore.com find what product you want and when you go to checkout use the coupon code "instant10" and you will save 10% of your order. I hope this helps shed some light on radar detectors for you. radar man
    Radar Man, Sep 5, 2007