Rack advice

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by The Other Guy, Oct 15, 2003.

  1. Hi,

    I am considering purchasing a 19" rack for home use. I recall reading a
    while ago about various issues surrounding mounting things on racks...
    different mounting brackets etc. Is there anything I need to be aware of in
    relation to mounting holes or other compatibility issues with the racks
    themselves?

    I plan on purchasing a 4 post open rack and several shelves in which to
    place existing non-rackmount equipment. A 2 post rack isn't suitable as I
    have a rackmount PC and plan to place some heavy (>25Kg) equipment at least
    one of the shelves.

    Also, does anyone have any recommendations on where to buy these racks from
    in Auckland? At this time I am unsure about size, it appears that 45U racks
    cost little more than smaller units, so I'd probably get a bigger one even
    though I don't need the space immediately.

    So far the only source I have found for the open models is Procase
    (Available through Ascent or almost anywhere else). Does anyone have
    experience with their OpenRack racks?

    Thanks,

    The Other Guy
    The Other Guy, Oct 15, 2003

  2. The Other Guy

    Alan Guest

    I just bought a 42U rack from Gavin Hubbard from Prodigious in Auckland
    through TradeMe. You could call him to see if he has anything else
    available - 09 920 2060 or cell 029 920 2060. There's also Gavin Tunney that
    seems to put quite a bit of rack mount stuff through TradeMe and has been
    really good to communicate with in the past - flick him an email at gav AT
    logics DOT co DOT nz to see if he can help.

    Racks tend to come up on TradeMe from time-to-time. Here's a brand new one
    that doesn't have doors or side panels - if you're after an open rack it
    might work for you:
    http://trademe.co.nz/structure/auction_detail.asp?id=5777189. I don't know
    if the owner has sold it (again) or not.

    Alan

    Alan, Oct 16, 2003

  3. The Other Guy

    Jason M Guest

    On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 09:56:59 +1300, "The Other Guy" <>
    wrote:

    >Also, does anyone have any recommendations on where to buy these racks from
    >in Auckland?

    We have 5 Serious Racks. The shelves are 20 inches wide.
    These are available from Smiths Sound Hi-Fi House at 587 Mt Eden Rd.
    Jason M, Oct 16, 2003
  4. On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 15:27:13 +1300, Alan wrote:

    > I just bought a 42U rack from Gavin Hubbard from Prodigious in Auckland
    > through TradeMe.

    Encore auctions routinely get them into their Wainuiomata warehouse.
    Uncle StoatWarbler, Oct 16, 2003
  5. Thanks to everyone who has replied. I will check out the sources that have
    been mentioned and see what I can come up with. Smiths Sound is only a short
    walk away so I will have a look there next week time permitting (I don't
    expect them to be the cheapest option).

    Thanks,

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Oct 18, 2003