    of 100 DVD+Rs 4X is selling in NYC for $19.99; but 16X for $24.99.

    Interestingly, my CD-R burner cannot burn CD-Rmusic, but the DVD burner
    can.
    Bolshoy Huy, Jan 4, 2007

  2. Bolshoy Huy

    Doug Jacobs Guest

    Bolshoy Huy <> wrote:
    > Is there any significant difference between DVD-R and DVD+R?

    Not really - but some older players may only recognize -r or +r.

    > Do new DVD burners recognize all DVD formats?

    They should.

    > My DVD player playes DVD+R, but not DVD-R. Also, a stand-alone
    > DVD burner could not read or burn CD-Rs.

    Don't know why the DVD burner wouldn't read or be able to burn CDR...

    > Who are these DVDforum(DVD-R) & DVDalliance(DVD+R), and why do they
    > support 2 different formats when no one cares and blue ray and HD are
    > out?
    > Why are there no CD+Rs?

    The various companies got their act together and agreed upon a single
    standard for burnable CDs (CDR). Unfortunatly they couldn't come to an
    agreement when it came time for burnable DVDs, so the two camps decided to
    go to market which is why we have DVD-R and DVD+R. Two different,
    incompatible standards that do the exact same thing. *sigh*

    This was before HD-DVD and Blu-Ray, mind you. Although the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray
    mess is basically DVD-R/+R all over again. 2 different standards that do
    the same thing. No real differences between them. And as with +R/-R,
    we'll see combo drives that will handle both mediums, making the whole
    "let the consumer choose" thing moot.

    > Whats the deal with speeds? I see all are 16x now. A spindle
    > of 100 DVD+Rs 4X is selling in NYC for $19.99; but 16X for $24.99.

    The speed (4X, 16X) is how fast data can be written to the disc. If you
    have a 16x burner, it will still be able to handle 4x media but it won't
    burn as fast if you were using 16x media. Hence the differences in cost.
    Reading speed, however, isn't affected by the media, only by the drive.

    > Interestingly, my CD-R burner cannot burn CD-Rmusic, but the DVD burner
    > can.

    Sounds like more of a software issue than anything else.

    --
    Win cash and giftcards just for clicking your mouse!
    http://www.netwinner.com/?signupCode=amuro98
    Doug Jacobs, Jan 17, 2007