R U Ready for April 12th?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by steve, Apr 7, 2005.

  1. steve

    steve Guest

    Microsoft will be making WinXP SP2 compulsory from that date.....and if
    your PC is connected to the Internet you WILL be updated.

    Push Is Coming to Shove for XP SP2 Deployment
    By John Pallatto
    April 6, 2005

    Affecting all the XP users who have been avoiding or procrastinating
    about installing the Windows XP Service Pack 2 upgrade, Microsoft is
    about to make the decision for them.

    On April 12, Microsoft Corp. is scheduled to turn on its Automatic
    Update service, which will deploy the XP Service Pack 2 to all PCs
    connected to the Internet regardless of whether corporate IT departments
    or individual PC users have prepared for it.

    SP2, developed to fix critical security holes and deploy performance
    enhancements, was originally released in September 2004. But in response
    to customer complaints, Microsoft suspended the automatic deployment for
    eight months to give users time to prepare for the upgrade.

    With the upgrade deadline looming, one study shows that the vast
    majority of companies running XP have actively avoided the upgrade or
    simply ignored the problem.

    The study, by AssetMetrix Research Labs of Ottawa, Canada, showed that
    only 24 percent of Windows XP PCs have been upgraded to SP2.

    "This whole thing reminds of the those days back in college when you
    asked for a two-week extension on the due date for a midterm paper,"
    said Steve O'Halloran, managing director of AssetMetrix Research Labs.
    "But the weekend before the paper is finally due, you still haven't done
    any work," he said.

    The AssetMetrix study of 136,000 PCs at 251 North American corporations
    showed that only 7 percent of the companies studied have actively
    accepted and deployed the upgrade.

    Of the remainder, 52 percent hadn't established any policy or plans for
    the SP2 upgrade, and 40 percent were actively avoiding it.

    .................rest is on the web site.....

    steve, Apr 7, 2005

  2. steve

    thing Guest

    steve wrote:
    > Microsoft will be making WinXP SP2 compulsory from that date.....and if
    > your PC is connected to the Internet you WILL be updated.

    I wonder if they are really ready for the backlash.....can we say class
    action several million times I wonder?

    This is going to break a lot of PCs, I cannot see how, given the
    litigous nature of the USA that there will not be a class action(s)
    shortly afterwards....

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Apr 7, 2005

  3. steve

    BILL Guest

    On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 15:20:48 +1200, thing <> wrote:

    >steve wrote:
    >> Microsoft will be making WinXP SP2 compulsory from that date.....and if
    >> your PC is connected to the Internet you WILL be updated.

    >I wonder if they are really ready for the backlash.....can we say class
    >action several million times I wonder?
    >
    >This is going to break a lot of PCs, I cannot see how, given the
    >litigous nature of the USA that there will not be a class action(s)
    >shortly afterwards....
    >
    >regards
    >
    >Thing

    Things break because they are Wrong..

    Most of the SP2 Problems are all hype..

    THEIR WILL BE NO CLASS ACTION..

    BILL, Apr 7, 2005
  4. steve

    steve Guest

    thing wrote:
    > steve wrote:
    >
    >> Microsoft will be making WinXP SP2 compulsory from that date.....and
    >> if your PC is connected to the Internet you WILL be updated.

    > I wonder if they are really ready for the backlash.....can we say class
    > action several million times I wonder?

    Nah....the EULA users agreed to gives them carte blanche to mess with
    their net-connected PCs.

    This is why I refused to accept WinXP SP1....and put my (then) only
    WinXP system onto Linux.

    I've since re-installed it on my daughter's PC.....and spent a fair bit
    time securing her WinXP SP1 system via registry tweaks.....but looks
    like she is about to return to Linux....

    Windows is too hard to maintain if I'm going to be driven by Microsoft's
    schedule rather than my own.

    > This is going to break a lot of PCs, I cannot see how, given the
    > litigous nature of the USA that there will not be a class action(s)
    > shortly afterwards....

    We'll see. Problem is, most users who have SP1 already installed have
    agreed to this already (perhaps without thinking it though)....or they
    wouldn't have SP1 installed.

    steve, Apr 7, 2005
  5. steve wrote:
    > Microsoft will be making WinXP SP2 compulsory from that date.....and if
    > your PC is connected to the Internet you WILL be updated.

    if, you have automatic updates turned on, which if you have, you are
    most likely to be proactive with updates, in which case you'll probably
    already have it(SP2) installed because you know it is good.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 7, 2005
  6. steve

    Tim Guest

    We? I have never seen "we" used in the singular before.

    Tim, Apr 7, 2005
  7. steve

    Invisible Guest

    On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 15:12:30 +1200, steve <> wrote:

    >Microsoft will be making WinXP SP2 compulsory from that date.....and if
    >your PC is connected to the Internet you WILL be updated.

    Way to blow some companies usage for the month.

    Invisible, Apr 7, 2005
  8. Invisible wrote:
    >>Microsoft will be making WinXP SP2 compulsory from that date.....and if
    >>your PC is connected to the Internet you WILL be updated.

    > Way to blow some companies usage for the month.

    they should configure their pcs correctly then... consider it the same
    as if they had a virus/worm... their PCs, their responsibility. not to
    mention their choice of internet plan.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 7, 2005
  9. On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 16:41:00 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Invisible wrote:
    >>>Microsoft will be making WinXP SP2 compulsory from that date.....and if
    >>>your PC is connected to the Internet you WILL be updated.

    >> Way to blow some companies usage for the month.

    > they should configure their pcs correctly then... consider it the same
    > as if they had a virus/worm... their PCs, their responsibility. not to
    > mention their choice of internet plan.

    heh.. we are going to find out in a little under a week how many lazy
    sys-admins there are floating about

    Shane (aka froggy), Apr 7, 2005
  10. steve

    Windows User Guest

    wrote:

    >Microsoft will be making WinXP SP2 compulsory from that date.....and if
    >your PC is connected to the Internet you WILL be updated.

    Unless you block Windows update

    >http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1783476,00.asp
    >
    >Push Is Coming to Shove for XP SP2 Deployment
    >By John Pallatto
    >April 6, 2005
    >
    >Affecting all the XP users who have been avoiding or procrastinating
    >about installing the Windows XP Service Pack 2 upgrade, Microsoft is
    >about to make the decision for them.
    >
    >On April 12, Microsoft Corp. is scheduled to turn on its Automatic
    >Update service, which will deploy the XP Service Pack 2 to all PCs
    >connected to the Internet regardless of whether corporate IT departments
    >or individual PC users have prepared for it.
    >
    >SP2, developed to fix critical security holes and deploy performance
    >enhancements, was originally released in September 2004. But in response
    >to customer complaints, Microsoft suspended the automatic deployment for
    >eight months to give users time to prepare for the upgrade.
    >
    >With the upgrade deadline looming, one study shows that the vast
    >majority of companies running XP have actively avoided the upgrade or
    >simply ignored the problem.
    >
    >The study, by AssetMetrix Research Labs of Ottawa, Canada, showed that
    >only 24 percent of Windows XP PCs have been upgraded to SP2.
    >
    >"This whole thing reminds of the those days back in college when you
    >asked for a two-week extension on the due date for a midterm paper,"
    >said Steve O'Halloran, managing director of AssetMetrix Research Labs.
    >"But the weekend before the paper is finally due, you still haven't done
    >any work," he said.
    >
    >The AssetMetrix study of 136,000 PCs at 251 North American corporations
    >showed that only 7 percent of the companies studied have actively
    >accepted and deployed the upgrade.
    >
    >Of the remainder, 52 percent hadn't established any policy or plans for
    >the SP2 upgrade, and 40 percent were actively avoiding it.

    At the moment updates are only available to SP1
    This will soon change to SP2 only

    Why the big deal
    Every PC I installed SP2 on had no problems at all
    Some of those PCs were 4 years old

    Windows User, Apr 7, 2005
  11. steve

    Windows User Guest

    On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 15:20:48 +1200, thing <> wrote:

    >steve wrote:
    >> Microsoft will be making WinXP SP2 compulsory from that date.....and if
    >> your PC is connected to the Internet you WILL be updated.

    >I wonder if they are really ready for the backlash.....can we say class
    >action several million times I wonder?
    >
    >This is going to break a lot of PCs, I cannot see how, given the
    >litigous nature of the USA that there will not be a class action(s)
    >shortly afterwards....

    Sounds like a load of cobblers to me
    People have a choice
    They can turn off auto updates in their PCs

    In fac the whole article is cobblers
    Hysterical nonsense

    Windows User, Apr 7, 2005
  12. steve

    Windows User Guest

    On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 15:25:14 +1200, BILL
    <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 15:20:48 +1200, thing <> wrote:
    >
    >>steve wrote:
    >>> Microsoft will be making WinXP SP2 compulsory from that date.....and if
    >>> your PC is connected to the Internet you WILL be updated.

    >>I wonder if they are really ready for the backlash.....can we say class
    >>action several million times I wonder?
    >>
    >>This is going to break a lot of PCs, I cannot see how, given the
    >>litigous nature of the USA that there will not be a class action(s)
    >>shortly afterwards....
    >>
    >>regards
    >>
    >>Thing

    >Things break because they are Wrong..
    >
    >Most of the SP2 Problems are all hype..
    >
    >THEIR WILL BE NO CLASS ACTION..

    Right on

    Windows User, Apr 7, 2005
  13. steve

    Windows User Guest

    On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 15:27:01 +1200, steve <>
    wrote:

    >thing wrote:
    >> steve wrote:
    >>
    >>> Microsoft will be making WinXP SP2 compulsory from that date.....and
    >>> if your PC is connected to the Internet you WILL be updated.

    >> I wonder if they are really ready for the backlash.....can we say class
    >> action several million times I wonder?

    >Nah....the EULA users agreed to gives them carte blanche to mess with
    >their net-connected PCs.
    >
    >This is why I refused to accept WinXP SP1....and put my (then) only
    >WinXP system onto Linux.
    >
    >I've since re-installed it on my daughter's PC.....and spent a fair bit
    >time securing her WinXP SP1 system via registry tweaks.....but looks
    >like she is about to return to Linux....

    Paranoiac nonsense

    Turn off automatic updates in the control panel if you don't like it

    >Windows is too hard to maintain if I'm going to be driven by Microsoft's
    >schedule rather than my own.
    >
    >> This is going to break a lot of PCs, I cannot see how, given the
    >> litigous nature of the USA that there will not be a class action(s)
    >> shortly afterwards....

    >We'll see. Problem is, most users who have SP1 already installed have
    >agreed to this already (perhaps without thinking it though)....or they
    >wouldn't have SP1 installed.

    Sadly theres a few Windows users who are stuck in the past

    they tell us that we should still be using Windows 98 and then XP
    original release only and then SP1 only

    When longhorn comes out they'll rail kicking and screaming against it

    Windows User, Apr 7, 2005
  14. steve

    Windows User Guest

    On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 15:53:44 +1200, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    <> wrote:

    >steve wrote:
    >> Microsoft will be making WinXP SP2 compulsory from that date.....and if
    >> your PC is connected to the Internet you WILL be updated.

    >if, you have automatic updates turned on, which if you have, you are
    >most likely to be proactive with updates, in which case you'll probably
    >already have it(SP2) installed because you know it is good.

    Damn right

    Windows User, Apr 7, 2005
  15. steve

    AD. Guest

    On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 17:46:07 +1200, Windows User wrote:

    > Why the big deal
    > Every PC I installed SP2 on had no problems at all Some of those PCs were
    > 4 years old

    Yeah, the only issue I've ever noticed with all the XP SP2 machines here
    is an older version of Nero popping up a harmless compatibility message
    that doesn't seem to actually affect anything.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Apr 7, 2005
  16. steve

    C9H8O4 Guest

    "steve" <> wrote in message
    > Microsoft will be making WinXP SP2 compulsory from that date.....and if
    > your PC is connected to the Internet you WILL be updated.

    > Push Is Coming to Shove for XP SP2 Deployment
    > By John Pallatto
    > April 6, 2005
    >
    > Affecting all the XP users who have been avoiding or procrastinating about
    > installing the Windows XP Service Pack 2 upgrade, Microsoft is about to
    > make the decision for them.
    >
    > On April 12, Microsoft Corp. is scheduled to turn on its Automatic Update
    > service, which will deploy the XP Service Pack 2 to all PCs connected to
    > the Internet regardless of whether corporate IT departments or individual
    > PC users have prepared for it.
    >
    > SP2, developed to fix critical security holes and deploy performance
    > enhancements, was originally released in September 2004. But in response
    > to customer complaints, Microsoft suspended the automatic deployment for
    > eight months to give users time to prepare for the upgrade.
    >
    > With the upgrade deadline looming, one study shows that the vast majority
    > of companies running XP have actively avoided the upgrade or simply
    > ignored the problem.
    >
    > The study, by AssetMetrix Research Labs of Ottawa, Canada, showed that
    > only 24 percent of Windows XP PCs have been upgraded to SP2.
    >
    > "This whole thing reminds of the those days back in college when you asked
    > for a two-week extension on the due date for a midterm paper," said Steve
    > O'Halloran, managing director of AssetMetrix Research Labs. "But the
    > weekend before the paper is finally due, you still haven't done any work,"
    > he said.
    >
    > The AssetMetrix study of 136,000 PCs at 251 North American corporations
    > showed that only 7 percent of the companies studied have actively accepted
    > and deployed the upgrade.
    >
    > Of the remainder, 52 percent hadn't established any policy or plans for
    > the SP2 upgrade, and 40 percent were actively avoiding it.
    >
    > ................rest is on the web site.....

    > News==----
    > Newsgroups
    > =----

    The moral here Steve is that not every story you read on the internet is
    factually correct or written by people without biases, misconceptions or
    misunderstandings. It often pays to read, digest and understand a story
    before blindly regurgitating it in public.

    C9H8O4, Apr 7, 2005
  17. steve

    Peter Guest

    thing wrote:
    > I wonder if they are really ready for the backlash.....can we say class
    > action several million times I wonder?
    >
    > This is going to break a lot of PCs, I cannot see how, given the
    > litigous nature of the USA that there will not be a class action(s)
    > shortly afterwards....

    How can anyone complain? By agreeing to the EULA, they waived any
    liabilities MS might have had.

    But they don't have to worry. Microsoft's slogan is trustworthy computing.
    Remember, if anything ever goes wrong, they'll be ok, because at Microsoft,
    someone's rear end is on the line. Steve Balmer said so. I guess he means
    Microsoft will make good on any problems or losses their customers suffer,
    (and that's why he says they are better off than those folks who use
    Linux).
    http://news.com.com/Ballmer Raising Microsofts security game/2100-1002_3-5094279.html

    Peter

    Peter, Apr 7, 2005

  18. > Tell me are you actually a Windows user or have any knowledge at all
    > of Windows by any chance

    I've been wondering that about your Linux/BSD knowledge myself

    Shane (aka froggy), Apr 7, 2005
  19. steve

    Windows User Guest

    Windows User, Apr 7, 2005
  20. steve

    Richard Guest

    steve wrote:
    > Microsoft will be making WinXP SP2 compulsory from that date.....and if
    > your PC is connected to the Internet you WILL be updated.

    Not on my 2 XP machines, I cant even install SP1 on them without messing about
    trying to find another product key for it.

    I resent that MS suggest that I use HP/Compaqs bastardised "rescue" CD on the
    machines to install the OS with all the adware it pre-loads and software for
    things I dont have.

    Bloody annoying.

    Richard, Apr 7, 2005