R.I.A.A to Ban FM recordings..

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by zipdisk@clearme.org.nz, Oct 18, 2006.

  1. Guest

    , Oct 18, 2006

  2. Allistar Guest

    wrote:

    > How made is this world becoming..?
    >

    > FM Radios to be Banned..?

    Did you read the article? It doesn't mention anything about FM radios being
    banned. It does mention a particular FM radio will no longer allow
    recording of an FM stream (once users apply a firmware upgrade).

    > http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=4566

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Oct 18, 2006

  3. On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 15:22:13 +1300, wrote:

    >How made is this world becoming..?

    after becoming it was made

    Patrick

    Patrick FitzGerald, Oct 18, 2006
  4. Guest

    On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 15:51:52 +1300, Allistar <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >

    >> How made is this world becoming..?
    >>

    >> FM Radios to be Banned..?

    >Did you read the article? It doesn't mention anything about FM radios being
    >banned. It does mention a particular FM radio will no longer allow
    >recording of an FM stream (once users apply a firmware upgrade).
    >
    >> http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=4566

    >Allistar.

    Other sites stated that they wish to ban FM Radio recordings..

    , Oct 18, 2006
  5. Earl Grey Guest

    wrote:

    Woger, don't crosspost to the loonybin mate.
    Now I have to ignore the whole thread.

    Earl Grey, Oct 18, 2006
  6. Allistar Guest

    wrote:

    > On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 15:51:52 +1300, Allistar <> wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>> How made is this world becoming..?
    >>>

    >>> FM Radios to be Banned..?

    >>Did you read the article? It doesn't mention anything about FM radios
    >>being banned. It does mention a particular FM radio will no longer allow
    >>recording of an FM stream (once users apply a firmware upgrade).
    >>
    >>> http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=4566

    >>Allistar.

    > Other sites stated that they wish to ban FM Radio recordings..

    Why not post URLs for those sites instead?

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Oct 18, 2006
  7. E. Scrooge Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > How made is this world becoming..?

    Only the creator your God can answer that one.
    Expect an answer to your question in about 10,000 years time.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Oct 18, 2006
  8. ~misfit~ Guest

    ~misfit~, Oct 18, 2006
  9. ~misfit~ Guest

    Earl Grey wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    > Woger, don't crosspost to the loonybin mate.
    > Now I have to ignore the whole thread.

    Heh! You're so much nicer than I am.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Oct 18, 2006
  10. -=rjh=- Guest

    Allistar wrote:
    > wrote:
    >

    >> How made is this world becoming..?
    >>

    >> FM Radios to be Banned..?

    > Did you read the article? It doesn't mention anything about FM radios being
    > banned. It does mention a particular FM radio will no longer allow
    > recording of an FM stream (once users apply a firmware upgrade).

    In some ways, this is only of note because it affects the US - some DAPs
    which have FM radios built in already have different firmware for use
    in EU, and recording from FM is disabled. Sansa do this, I'm sure that
    others will also.

    I wonder why the RIAA would think such recording is a threat - the Sansa
    e200 records mono at 32Kb/s, as a wav file, for example, so you aren't
    even getting anything like the original FM quality.

    I'd suggest the manufacturers had already accommodated any concerns the
    RIAA might have had by deliberately reducing the quality of recording in
    that fashion, but apparently that isn't enough for the RIAA. They seem
    to be totally inflexible and dogmatic in their view of how things will be.

    -=rjh=-, Oct 18, 2006
  11. In article <>, -=rjh=- <> wrote:
    >Allistar wrote:
    >>> FM Radios to be Banned..?

    >> Did you read the article? It doesn't mention anything about FM radios being
    >> banned. It does mention a particular FM radio will no longer allow
    >> recording of an FM stream (once users apply a firmware upgrade).

    >In some ways, this is only of note because it affects the US - some DAPs
    > which have FM radios built in already have different firmware for use
    >in EU, and recording from FM is disabled. Sansa do this, I'm sure that
    >others will also.
    >
    >I wonder why the RIAA would think such recording is a threat - the Sansa
    >e200 records mono at 32Kb/s, as a wav file, for example, so you aren't
    >even getting anything like the original FM quality.
    >
    >I'd suggest the manufacturers had already accommodated any concerns the
    >RIAA might have had by deliberately reducing the quality of recording in
    >that fashion, but apparently that isn't enough for the RIAA. They seem
    >to be totally inflexible and dogmatic in their view of how things will be.

    Hmmm ... is this an excellent example of darwinism in action ... those that
    are inflexible die out ? :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 19, 2006
  12. juicyjuice Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:
    > Allistar wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>> How made is this world becoming..?
    >>>

    >>> FM Radios to be Banned..?

    >> Did you read the article? It doesn't mention anything about FM
    >> radios being banned. It does mention a particular FM radio will no
    >> longer allow recording of an FM stream (once users apply a firmware
    >> upgrade).

    > In some ways, this is only of note because it affects the US - some
    > DAPs which have FM radios built in already have different firmware
    > for use in EU, and recording from FM is disabled. Sansa do this, I'm sure
    > that
    > others will also.
    >
    > I wonder why the RIAA would think such recording is a threat - the
    > Sansa e200 records mono at 32Kb/s, as a wav file, for example, so you
    > aren't even getting anything like the original FM quality.
    >
    > I'd suggest the manufacturers had already accommodated any concerns
    > the RIAA might have had by deliberately reducing the quality of
    > recording in that fashion, but apparently that isn't enough for the
    > RIAA. They seem to be totally inflexible and dogmatic in their view of how
    > things
    > will be.

    I have a Creative Zen Neon - they record perfect high quality FM
    I never considered updating firmware, and dont see why i would now to lose
    that feature which is half the reason i chose it over others - also has mic
    and line in recording, beats an ipod anyday and cheaper.

    juicyjuice, Oct 21, 2006