    further and further down in the message.

    I would prefer that the latest addition comes atop of the mail, making
    it easy to check what's new since last. How do I change this in Thunderbird?

    Dag, Jun 26, 2006

  2. Dag

    Ronald Hands Guest

    Dag wrote:
    > When I answer a mail with Thunderbird, the old message comes at the top
    > and my answer at the bottom of my message... isn't that quite strange?

    No, bottom posting is standard on Usenet (although no doubt some of
    the logically-challenged will argue otherwise). After all, it's a
    natural sequence that the reader should see the context and then the
    response.

    > If a message goes back and forth some times, the message may grow quite
    > long and finding the latest addition makes it neccessary to scroll
    > further and further down in the message.

    It often happens that way, but it shouldn't. You are strongly
    encouraged to edit the quoted material. One of the great sins of sloppy
    posters is that they don't chop the extraneous material, leaving only
    enough relevant text to establish what they're responding to.
    That said, if you really want to change the way T'bird behaves, look
    under Tools/Account Settings, click on Composition and Addressing, tick
    the box to "automatically quote the original message..." and then
    select, in the drop-down alternatives, how you want your reader to behave.

    -- Ron

    Ronald Hands, Jun 26, 2006

  3. Dag

    Ronald Hands Guest

    Ronald Hands, Jun 26, 2006
  4. Dag

    Dag Guest

    Ronald Hands > wrote:

    > No, bottom posting is standard on Usenet (although no doubt some of
    > the logically-challenged will argue otherwise). After all, it's a
    > natural sequence that the reader should see the context and then the
    > response.
    > >

    > It often happens that way, but it shouldn't. You are strongly
    > encouraged to edit the quoted material. One of the great sins of sloppy
    > posters is that they don't chop the extraneous material, leaving only
    > enough relevant text to establish what they're responding to.
    > That said, if you really want to change the way T'bird behaves, look
    > under Tools/Account Settings, click on Composition and Addressing, tick
    > the box to "automatically quote the original message..." and then
    > select, in the drop-down alternatives, how you want your reader to behave.
    >
    > -- Ron

    Hi Ron,

    I agree completely when it comes to Usenet, but in regular E-mails I
    would have liked it the way I describe it in my posting.

    Dag, Jun 26, 2006
  5. Dag

    Dag Guest

    Dag, Jun 26, 2006
  6. Dag

    Animesh K Guest

    Dag wrote:
    > Ronald Hands > wrote:
    >
    >> No, bottom posting is standard on Usenet (although no doubt some of
    >> the logically-challenged will argue otherwise). After all, it's a
    >> natural sequence that the reader should see the context and then the
    >> response.
    >> > It often happens that way, but it shouldn't. You are strongly

    >> encouraged to edit the quoted material. One of the great sins of
    >> sloppy posters is that they don't chop the extraneous material,
    >> leaving only enough relevant text to establish what they're responding
    >> to.
    >> That said, if you really want to change the way T'bird behaves, look
    >> under Tools/Account Settings, click on Composition and Addressing,
    >> tick the box to "automatically quote the original message..." and then
    >> select, in the drop-down alternatives, how you want your reader to
    >> behave.
    >>
    >> -- Ron

    > Hi Ron,
    >
    > I agree completely when it comes to Usenet, but in regular E-mails I
    > would have liked it the way I describe it in my posting.

    Press "Control+Home" key to take the cursor to the top of the message.

    Best,

    PS: I don't know if you can make it a default.

    Animesh K, Jun 26, 2006
  7. Dag

    Animesh K Guest

    Animesh K, Jun 26, 2006
  8. Dag

    Mumia W. Guest

    Dag wrote:
    > [...]
    > I agree completely when it comes to Usenet, but in regular E-mails I
    > would have liked it the way I describe it in my posting.

    Hi Dag.

    Create a new account in tbird and use that only for mail.

    Mumia W., Jun 27, 2006
  9. Dag

    Mumia W. Guest

    Mumia W., Jun 27, 2006
  10. Dag

    gwtc Guest

    Dag wrote:

    > When I answer a mail with Thunderbird, the old message comes at the top
    > and my answer at the bottom of my message... isn't that quite strange?
    > If a message goes back and forth some times, the message may grow quite
    > long and finding the latest addition makes it neccessary to scroll
    > further and further down in the message.
    >
    > I would prefer that the latest addition comes atop of the mail, making
    > it easy to check what's new since last. How do I change this in Thunderbird?

    When you mean you want the newest stuff on top, you can't do that.
    Your message will arrive the way the sender sends it. If he sends the
    message with his message at the top, then thats where you will see it.
    If he wants it at the bottom of the message, then thats where it
    will be. You can't change it. As a matter of fact, no email or
    newsgroup program can do that.

    --
    Murphy's Laws of Computing: When you get to the point where you really
    understand your computer, it's probably obsolete.

    gwtc, Jun 27, 2006
  11. Dag

    gwtc Guest

    gwtc, Jun 27, 2006
  12. Dag

    gwtc Guest

    gwtc wrote:

    > Dag wrote:
    >

    >>When I answer a mail with Thunderbird, the old message comes at the top
    >>and my answer at the bottom of my message... isn't that quite strange?
    >>If a message goes back and forth some times, the message may grow quite
    >>long and finding the latest addition makes it neccessary to scroll
    >>further and further down in the message.
    >>
    >>I would prefer that the latest addition comes atop of the mail, making
    >>it easy to check what's new since last. How do I change this in Thunderbird?

    > When you mean you want the newest stuff on top, you can't do that.
    > Your message will arrive the way the sender sends it. If he sends the
    > message with his message at the top, then thats where you will see it.
    > If he wants it at the bottom of the message, then thats where it
    > will be. You can't change it. As a matter of fact, no email or
    > newsgroup program can do that.

    an option you might want to look into is the quotecolors extension:
    http://quotecolors.mozdev.org/. This will separate each message from
    the others

    gwtc, Jun 27, 2006
  13. Dag

    gwtc Guest

    gwtc, Jun 27, 2006
  14. Dag

    Dag Guest

    Mumia W. wrote:
    > Dag wrote:
    >
    >> [...]
    >> I agree completely when it comes to Usenet, but in regular E-mails I
    >> would have liked it the way I describe it in my posting.

    > Hi Dag.
    >
    > Create a new account in tbird and use that only for mail.

    Did that like Ronald explained and it works just fine. Thank you.

    Dag, Jun 27, 2006
  15. Dag

    Dag Guest

    Dag, Jun 27, 2006