    or inside the text; I've also seen it on the Yahoo home page in the
    news items.

    What is going on?
    Richard Fangnail, Aug 3, 2007

  2. Richard Fangnail wrote:

    > In IE OR Firefox, I've been seeing things like "& # 3 9" where there
    > should be quotes or apostrophes. This has been noticeable a few
    > months. I usually see it in Google Groups in the title bar at the top
    > or inside the text; I've also seen it on the Yahoo home page in the
    > news items.

    How about a specific link to a specific page (or two) where you see
    this?

    > What is going on?

    ' is a single-quote mark, " is a double-quote mark, and & is
    an ampersand.

    http://www.cookwood.com/entities/

    Perhaps the page(s) are using a character set your computer doesn't
    recognize?

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 3, 2007

  3. On Aug 3, 9:43 am, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:
    > Richard Fangnail wrote:
    > > In IE OR Firefox, I've been seeing things like "& # 3 9" where there
    > > should be quotes or apostrophes. This has been noticeable a few
    > > months. I usually see it in Google Groups in the title bar at the top
    > > or inside the text; I've also seen it on the Yahoo home page in the
    > > news items.

    > How about a specific link to a specific page (or two) where you see
    > this?

    this page has the problem in the top title bar. Instead of quote
    marks, I see &quot.
    This problem is in both my computer at home and some other in offices.

    http://groups.google.com/group/ba.b...be6?lnk=st&q=fangnail&rnum=3#0e977d3e29219be6
    Richard Fangnail, Aug 3, 2007
  4. Richard Fangnail wrote:

    > On Aug 3, 9:43 am, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    > <> wrote:
    >> Richard Fangnail wrote:
    >>> In IE OR Firefox, I've been seeing things like "& # 3 9" ...

    >> How about a specific link to a specific page (or two) where you see
    >> this?

    > this page has the problem in the top title bar. Instead of quote
    > marks, I see &quot.
    > This problem is in both my computer at home and some other in offices.
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/group/ba.b...be6?lnk=st&q=fangnail&rnum=3#0e977d3e29219be6

    Somewhere in the process of generating the page, Google transformed the
    ampersand that goes with the "quot;" to &amp; - which is actually
    correct.

    <title>
    &amp;quot;Gary from Oakland&amp;quot; was in the studio -
    ba.broadcast |
    Google Groups
    </title>

    Since it appears that was your own post, you could eliminate the problem
    by not using quote marks in subject lines when posting from Google
    Gropes. Since others are posting in that thread using real news clients,
    it appears the group is not a *Google* group, but a *newsgroup* on
    Usenet. Why don't you join them instead of using the inferior GG?

    Ex: note that "Stratum" uses Thunderbird:

    From: Stratum <>

    So can you.
    http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/
    (and you might want to tell "Stratum" that he is woefully out of date
    with version 1.0.7.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 3, 2007
  5. Richard Fangnail

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 10:03:03 -0700, Richard Fangnail wrote:

    >On Aug 3, 9:43 am, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    ><> wrote:
    >> Richard Fangnail wrote:
    >> > In IE OR Firefox, I've been seeing things like "& # 3 9" where there
    >> > should be quotes or apostrophes. This has been noticeable a few
    >> > months. I usually see it in Google Groups in the title bar at the top
    >> > or inside the text; I've also seen it on the Yahoo home page in the
    >> > news items.

    >> How about a specific link to a specific page (or two) where you see
    >> this?

    >this page has the problem in the top title bar. Instead of quote
    >marks, I see &quot.
    >This problem is in both my computer at home and some other in offices.
    >

    >http://groups.google.com/group/ba.b...be6?lnk=st&q=fangnail&rnum=3#0e977d3e29219be6

    <title>
    &amp;quot;Gary from Oakland&amp;quot; was in the studio -
    ba.broadcast |
    Google Groups
    </title>

    It's assumed they meant "Gary....." as in

    <title>
    &quot;Gary from Oakland&quot; was in the studio -
    ba.broadcast |
    Google Groups
    </title>

    The & and ; identify an entity in HTML character sets, see the table

    The why and in depth
    http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/sgml/entities.html
    and a nice example showing the codes and what your browser sees.
    http://htmlhelp.com/reference/html40/entities/symbols.html

    So &amp; is a single & and the quot; is shown just as is.
    why?, Aug 3, 2007