    Debating unix flavors in the context of anything Microsoft is like
    talking about which ice cream flavor tastes least like sawdust with
    turpentine sauce. --void

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Oct 21, 2004

  2. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    > Stole this from someone's sig:
    > Debating unix flavors in the context of anything Microsoft is like
    > talking about which ice cream flavor tastes least like sawdust with
    > turpentine sauce. --void

    not from a mark thompson posts was it?

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 21, 2004

  3. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    Rider Guest

    "Lawrence D¹Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in message
    > Stole this from someone's sig:
    >
    > Debating unix flavors in the context of anything Microsoft is like
    > talking about which ice cream flavor tastes least like sawdust with
    > turpentine sauce. --void

    The Wellington deputy mayor was reported as saying in regards to the
    election problems

    "It was uncertain. Until your certain, you can't be certain"

    Sheesh, smart fella ... and he got elected LoL

    Rider, Oct 21, 2004
  4. Rider wrote:
    >>Debating unix flavors in the context of anything Microsoft is like
    >>talking about which ice cream flavor tastes least like sawdust with
    >>turpentine sauce. --void

    > The Wellington deputy mayor was reported as saying in regards to the
    > election problems
    > "It was uncertain. Until your certain, you can't be certain"
    > Sheesh, smart fella ... and he got elected LoL

    "50% of teachers are below average"
    some politition last year I think.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 21, 2004
  5. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    Rider Guest

    > Rider wrote:
    >>>Debating unix flavors in the context of anything Microsoft is like
    >>>talking about which ice cream flavor tastes least like sawdust with
    >>>turpentine sauce. --void

    >> The Wellington deputy mayor was reported as saying in regards to the
    >> election problems
    >> "It was uncertain. Until your certain, you can't be certain"
    >> Sheesh, smart fella ... and he got elected LoL

    > "50% of teachers are below average"
    > some politition last year I think.

    hehehe ...... Iraqi Information Minister at a press conference while the
    yanks take over Baghdad airport ...

    "They are nowhere, they aren't anywhere near here, we will kill them all if
    they try"

    I'm pretty sure he left right after saying this to escape the US troops that
    "werent anywhere" LoL

    Rider, Oct 21, 2004
  6. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    Gordon Guest

    On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 14:47:19 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > "50% of teachers are below average"
    > some politition last year I think.

    Now when it comes to the posters of this ng,

    Is it

    a) More than 50% are above average
    b) The above is wrong
    c) if b) then why?

    Gordon, Oct 21, 2004
  7. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    Bret Guest

    On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 17:24:27 +1300, Gordon wrote:

    > On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 14:47:19 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >
    >> "50% of teachers are below average"
    >> some politition last year I think.

    > Now when it comes to the posters of this ng,
    >
    > Is it
    >
    > a) More than 50% are above average
    > b) The above is wrong
    > c) if b) then why?

    Maybe a clever politician after all.

    Bret, Oct 21, 2004
  8. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    Peter Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > "50% of teachers are below average"
    > some politition last year I think.

    50% of Americian voters are of less than average intelligence.
    Which maybe explains how they ended up with Bush as president.

    Peter

    Peter, Oct 21, 2004
  9. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    EMB Guest

    Peter wrote:

    > 50% of Americian voters are of less than average intelligence.
    > Which maybe explains how they ended up with Bush as president.

    50% of any group are below the median, it's quite possible to have 75%
    below (or above) average......

    ......for those who need an example If the IQ's of 4 people are 40, 40,
    40 and 80, the average IQ is 50, so 75% are below average.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Oct 21, 2004
  10. Gordon wrote:
    >>"50% of teachers are below average"
    >>some politition last year I think.

    > Now when it comes to the posters of this ng,
    > Is it
    > a) More than 50% are above average
    > b) The above is wrong
    > c) if b) then why?

    it depends on what average we are talking about.

    If it is an average of computer users ability, then I would say "a",
    simply because as a group of enthusiests we would have more of an
    interest in the subject, and probably a higher ability than the average
    human.

    If it is an average of womens underware construction, then we're
    probably below average, again due to our concentration on other
    subjects... although we probably also have a higher tendency to be able
    to find the relevant data and learn quickly.

    I hoipe I've been clear about things in this post.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 21, 2004
  11. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    EMB Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > If it is an average of womens underware construction,

    I thought the preferred field relating to women's underwear was the
    deconstruction one. :cool:

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Oct 21, 2004
  12. EMB wrote:
    >> If it is an average of womens underware construction,

    > I thought the preferred field relating to women's underwear was the
    > deconstruction one. :cool:

    maybe not de-construction, but certainly removal.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 22, 2004
  13. It seems like Thu, 21 Oct 2004 22:18:33 +1300 was when Peter
    <> said Blah blah blah...

    >50% of Americian voters are of less than average intelligence.
    >Which maybe explains how they ended up with Bush as president.

    What's explains the fact that 50% of American voters are above average
    intelligence, yet Bush is still in power?:)
    --
    Regards,
    Waylon Kenning.

    1st Year B.I.T. WelTec

    Waylon Kenning, Oct 22, 2004
  14. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    Bret Guest

    On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 08:14:52 +1300, Waylon Kenning wrote:

    > It seems like Thu, 21 Oct 2004 22:18:33 +1300 was when Peter
    > <> said Blah blah blah...
    >
    >>50% of Americian voters are of less than average intelligence.
    >>Which maybe explains how they ended up with Bush as president.

    > What's explains the fact that 50% of American voters are above average
    > intelligence, yet Bush is still in power?:)

    Where did that stat come from?

    Bret, Oct 22, 2004
  15. In article <>,
    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote:

    >Gordon wrote:
    >>>"50% of teachers are below average"
    >>>some politition last year I think.

    >> Now when it comes to the posters of this ng,
    >> Is it
    >> a) More than 50% are above average
    >> b) The above is wrong
    >> c) if b) then why?

    >it depends on what average we are talking about.
    >
    >If it is an average of computer users ability, then I would say "a",
    >simply because as a group of enthusiests we would have more of an
    >interest in the subject, and probably a higher ability than the average
    >human.

    Would most people be of above-average intelligence? Probably yes.

    Are most drivers on the roads of above-average skill? Definitely yes.

    Do most people have an above-average number of limbs? Actually yes.

    Do most hard drives tend to fail after a below-average lifetime?
    Unfortunately yes.

    All quite mathematically consistent, I assure you.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Oct 22, 2004
  16. It seems like Sat, 23 Oct 2004 09:40:03 +1300 was when Bret
    <> said Blah blah blah...

    >>>50% of Americian voters are of less than average intelligence.
    >>>Which maybe explains how they ended up with Bush as president.

    >> What's explains the fact that 50% of American voters are above average
    >> intelligence, yet Bush is still in power?:)

    >Where did that stat come from?

    That 50% of American voters are above average intelligence? It was
    implied from the post I quoted it from, which is at the top of this
    post. If 50% of American voters are below average intelligence, it
    implies that around 50% of American voters are above average
    intelligence (not taking into account those voters who have exactly
    the average intelligence, and the fact that we can't measure
    intelligence accurately).
    --
    Regards,
    Waylon Kenning.

    1st Year B.I.T. WelTec

    Waylon Kenning, Oct 23, 2004
  17. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    Bret Guest

    On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 13:27:26 +1300, Waylon Kenning wrote:

    > It seems like Sat, 23 Oct 2004 09:40:03 +1300 was when Bret
    > <> said Blah blah blah...

    >>> What's explains the fact that 50% of American voters are above average
    >>> intelligence, yet Bush is still in power?:)

    >>Where did that stat come from?

    > That 50% of American voters are above average intelligence? It was
    > implied from the post I quoted it from, which is at the top of this
    > post. If 50% of American voters are below average intelligence, it
    > implies that around 50% of American voters are above average
    > intelligence (not taking into account those voters who have exactly
    > the average intelligence, and the fact that we can't measure
    > intelligence accurately).

    Why dont we disregard all the ones below average instead, President Bush
    might cease to exist.

    Bret, Oct 23, 2004
  18. In article <>, Bret <>
    wrote:

    >Why dont we disregard all the [voters] below average instead, President Bush
    >might cease to exist.

    There's a saying somewhere that "every country gets the government it
    deserves". I think Bush and the USA deserve each other...

    Lawrence D’Oliveiro, Oct 23, 2004
  19. Bret wrote:
    > Why dont we disregard all the ones below average instead, President Bush
    > might cease to exist.

    heh, neither would Kerry. :)

    --
    Dave.net.nz
    reply addy is e

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 23, 2004
  20. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    Fishb8 Guest

    The original message was correct, statistically speaking, that there must be
    a halfway line. %0 % above it and 50% below it. Simple. Fact - less people
    voted for Bush, overall (electoral colleges, notwithstanding) than Gore.
    Therefore more than 50 % voted for Gore. So, by that analysis, some people
    with lower than average intelligence voted for Gore.
    I still think that Bush is a right wan**r, but I'm not a voter or a US
    passport holder, so my view counts for nothing.

    Fishb8, Oct 23, 2004