Quirky internet access with wireless adapter

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Jeff, Aug 29, 2005.

  1. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    This is puzzling to me which is why I am asking the question.

    My router is a SMCWBR14-G wireless router (WPA protected, MAC screened,
    etc.) and I connect from my laptop (and through it to the web) with a
    wireless B Linksys adapter (WPC11). However when I use my new "faster"
    Hawking 54G adapter (HWC54G), the connection is quirky - meaning that it
    sometimes connects to the internet and sometimes fails to do so. Finally in
    exasperation I decided dependability is more important than speed and have
    temporarily moved back to the older Linksys B adapter which always connects
    with no fuss.

    What could be causing this difference? Both adapters are PC Card adapters.
    Both PCs are on XP Home SP-2. I have the latest drivers for the Hawking
    adapter. Could the problem be incompatibility between the adapter/router,
    lower quality in the Hawking adapter, or something else. Is there a way to
    track down the problem and correct it so I can dependably use the faster
    adapter I bought?

    Thanks.

    Jeff, Aug 29, 2005