Quintessential Summer Blockbuster?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Aaron J. Bossig, Jul 30, 2004.

  1. Hi all

    Seeing as it's summer, and we have our usual assortment of
    summer popcorn flicks (some good, some bad, what else is new?).
    I was wondering about the historical perspective of summer movies,
    and what could be considered the best of the best? You know,
    the movies that were so good, they *defined* the summer, and maybe
    even made you go back several times.

    Here's what I came up with off the top of my head:

    Spider-Man 2
    Independence Day
    Honey, I Shrunk the Kids
    Batman
    Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
    Ghostbusters II (Gotta love that summer of '89)
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    Jurassic Park

    Now the question: What is the *ultimate* summer flick? To keep this
    on-topic, I'd hope it would be on DVD, but anything that successful
    probably already is (minus Star Wars).

    My vote goes to Batman.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.Daily-Reviews.com
    Aaron J. Bossig, Jul 30, 2004

  2. Aaron J. Bossig

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Aaron J. Bossig wrote:
    > Hi all
    >
    > Seeing as it's summer, and we have our usual assortment of
    > summer popcorn flicks (some good, some bad, what else is new?).
    > I was wondering about the historical perspective of summer movies,
    > and what could be considered the best of the best? You know,
    > the movies that were so good, they *defined* the summer, and maybe
    > even made you go back several times.

    From my childhood, I have fond summer memories of such movies as Star Wars,
    Raiders of the Lost Ark, For Your Eyes Only and The Road Warrior. These
    days I think of Spiderman and X-Men movies as what I look forward to the
    most. And yes, I still look forward to new Star Wars movies, masochist that
    I am. ;)

    > Now the question: What is the *ultimate* summer flick? To keep this
    > on-topic, I'd hope it would be on DVD, but anything that successful
    > probably already is (minus Star Wars).

    My all-time favorite summer movie is Raiders of the Lost Ark. I spent many
    an hour in my local theater watching that one over and over again.

    Mike
    Mike Kohary, Jul 30, 2004

  3. Aaron J. Bossig

    TOM RICCI Guest

    T2
    TOM RICCI, Jul 30, 2004
  4. Aaron J. Bossig

    djskyler Guest

    "Aaron J. Bossig" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all
    >
    > Seeing as it's summer, and we have our usual assortment of
    > summer popcorn flicks (some good, some bad, what else is new?).
    > I was wondering about the historical perspective of summer movies,
    > and what could be considered the best of the best? You know,
    > the movies that were so good, they *defined* the summer, and maybe
    > even made you go back several times.
    >
    > Here's what I came up with off the top of my head:
    >
    > Spider-Man 2
    > Independence Day
    > Honey, I Shrunk the Kids
    > Batman
    > Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
    > Ghostbusters II (Gotta love that summer of '89)
    > Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    > Jurassic Park
    >
    > Now the question: What is the *ultimate* summer flick? To keep this
    > on-topic, I'd hope it would be on DVD, but anything that successful
    > probably already is (minus Star Wars).
    >
    > My vote goes to Batman.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Aaron J. Bossig

    You would definately have to include Jaws as a nominee, as is the film that
    defined the "summer movie" phenomenon.
    After Jaws, Hollywood slowly developed the practice of massive
    pre-advertising, merchandising and fast food tie-ins in order to cement
    their offering as THE movie of the summer. In that respect I may have to
    agree with your choice of Batman as the ultimate summer movie, not only on
    its own merits as a film but also the excitement that was built up for it.
    Another nominee would be Back to the Future, a mid-summer release that
    gained its popularity with not so-much advertising but by its own merits as
    a great film (listen to the commentary track on Pee Wee's Big Adventure and
    you'll hear Paul Reubens complain bitterly how Michael J. Fox stole
    audiences away from Pee Wee).
    If we get into talking about the worst summer movie because it tried too
    hard to BE a summer movie, I'll throw in Van Helsing.
    djskyler, Jul 30, 2004
  5. Aaron J. Bossig

    Crow T Robot Guest

    Dude Where's My Car

    "djskyler" <> wrote in message
    > "Aaron J. Bossig" <> wrote in

    message

    Crow T Robot, Jul 30, 2004
  6. Aaron J. Bossig

    Mark Spatny Guest

    Mike Kohary, says...
    > My all-time favorite summer movie is Raiders of the Lost Ark. I spent many
    > an hour in my local theater watching that one over and over again.

    I'm with you on this. Raiders was the only movie I ever did the "get in
    line 8 hours early and wait for tickets" routine. It was the only summer
    movie WORTHY of the wait, as far as I'm concerned.
    Mark Spatny, Jul 30, 2004
  7. Aaron J. Bossig

    Mark Spatny Guest

    Aaron J. Bossig, says...
    > You know,
    > the movies that were so good, they *defined* the summer
    > Honey, I Shrunk the Kids
    > Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

    I have no recolection of either of these two movies "defining summer" in
    the way the other movies on your list did. Especially not Honey. I just
    don't see it remotely in the same category as Raiders, Jurassic Park, or
    Spiderman.
    Mark Spatny, Jul 30, 2004
  8. Aaron J. Bossig

    Smaug69 Guest

    "Aaron J. Bossig" <> wrote in message news:<>...

    <snip>

    > Here's what I came up with off the top of my head:
    >
    > Spider-Man 2
    > Independence Day
    > Honey, I Shrunk the Kids

    Huh? I don't even remember this coming out the same summer as Batman.
    It wasn't anywhere near my radar.

    > Batman
    > Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
    > Ghostbusters II (Gotta love that summer of '89)
    > Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

    This came out in March of 1990. It was not a summer movie. Not even
    close.

    > Jurassic Park
    >
    > Now the question: What is the *ultimate* summer flick? To keep this
    > on-topic, I'd hope it would be on DVD, but anything that successful
    > probably already is (minus Star Wars).
    >
    > My vote goes to Batman.

    The ultimate summer flick for me will always be Raiders of the Lost
    Ark.

    Smaug69
    Smaug69, Jul 30, 2004
  9. Alien
    Frank Malczewski, Jul 31, 2004
  10. Mark Spatny <> wrote in

    > Aaron J. Bossig, says...
    >> You know,
    >> the movies that were so good, they *defined* the summer
    >> Honey, I Shrunk the Kids
    >> Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

    > I have no recolection of either of these two movies "defining summer" in
    > the way the other movies on your list did. Especially not Honey. I just
    > don't see it remotely in the same category as Raiders, Jurassic Park, or
    > Spiderman.

    It might have been a regional thing. It seemed really popular around
    my area... though admittedly, I think Batman and the others were way ahead
    of it.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.Daily-Reviews.com
    Aaron J. Bossig, Jul 31, 2004
  11. Aaron J. Bossig

    Wade365 Guest

    Alright... let's get this back around to a DVD/Video topic which is what this
    forum is all about for a moment...

    .... summer for the last decade has meant one thing to me: The newest Godzilla
    film hits home video and is then able to be shown in my own little theater with
    a 27" screen.

    Now, if you'll excuse me, "Godzilla-Mothra-Mechagodzilla: Tokyo S.O.S." has
    just arrived this minute (I kid you not, how's THAT for strange events?) and I
    must hurry it into the player before my inner fanboy explodes.
    Wade365, Jul 31, 2004