    remember how the initial release 'sank' <groan> when everyone found
    out it was not w/s enhanced, but I expected a little more hoopla for
    this release; or was this store an exception? Cheers.

    fredman, Oct 26, 2005

  2. fredman

    Richard C. Guest

    "fredman" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Well, stopped in at a Best Buy yesterday to pick up 3 titles: the new
    > Titanic, Looney Tunes vol.3, and the Battle of Britain CE. This was
    > the BB in the Newark Mall off 880 (norcal eastbay). Surprisingly, I
    > had to search for Titanic, and found only 2 copies in the drama
    > section - no endcap display or even copies in the new releases
    > section. BofB:CE I found on a cart of titles to yet be placed on the
    > shelves (a ripoff price too, and Iam ashamed to say I bit because it
    > was in front of me). The Looney Tunes set was non-existant which is
    > not surprising. But I'm really surprised about Titanic. Now I
    > remember how the initial release 'sank' <groan> when everyone found
    > out it was not w/s enhanced, but I expected a little more hoopla for
    > this release; or was this store an exception? Cheers.

    ======================
    So, it IS a new transfer and anamorphic?
    If it is, I will buy it.
    =======================

    Richard C., Oct 26, 2005

  3. fredman

    TB Guest

    "Richard C." wrote:

    (snip)

    > ======================
    > So, it IS a new transfer and anamorphic?
    > If it is, I will buy it.
    > =======================

    That's a resounding "yes" on both questions.

    A vast improvement in every way to the old dvd. The video quality is among
    the very best transfers I've ever seen. The audio is excellent as well and
    includes either DTS or DD 5.1 options. Best of all, it's spread across two
    dvds to allow the maximum bitrate possible from the transfer. The extras
    including a lot of deleted scenes are impressive as well and for a 3 disc
    set, at about $20 at most stores, it's a bargain.

    I'm glad I unloaded my old DTS laserdisc about a year ago (for $160+!)
    because nice as that LD was, it's now (finally) obsolete.

    T.B.

    TB, Oct 26, 2005
  4. fredman

    Mike Guest

    At my Best Buy Titanic was in the new releases section but not
    seqestered on an end cap but still pretty prominent

    Mike, Oct 27, 2005
  5. fredman

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <>,
    fredman <> wrote:

    > Well, stopped in at a Best Buy yesterday to pick up 3 titles: the new
    > Titanic, Looney Tunes vol.3, and the Battle of Britain CE. This was
    > the BB in the Newark Mall off 880 (norcal eastbay). Surprisingly, I
    > had to search for Titanic, and found only 2 copies in the drama
    > section - no endcap display or even copies in the new releases
    > section. BofB:CE I found on a cart of titles to yet be placed on the
    > shelves (a ripoff price too, and Iam ashamed to say I bit because it
    > was in front of me). The Looney Tunes set was non-existant which is
    > not surprising. But I'm really surprised about Titanic. Now I
    > remember how the initial release 'sank' <groan> when everyone found
    > out it was not w/s enhanced, but I expected a little more hoopla for
    > this release; or was this store an exception? Cheers.

    I noticed the same thing in stores in my area. I remember a lot of talk
    about this release when it first announced, but for whatever reason, the
    release has gone out quietly under the radar. Shame really, because it's
    a damn nice set and really priced well. A huge improvement over the old
    DVD.

    Maybe no one likes this film anymore? *shrug*

    Black Locust, Oct 27, 2005
  6. "Richard C." <> wrote in message

    << ======================
    << So, it IS a new transfer and anamorphic?
    << If it is, I will buy it.
    << =======================

    Not only is _Titanic_ an anamorphic marvel with DTS 6.1 audio, the Ultimate
    Chick Flick_ has 45 minutes of deleted scenes which are also anamorphic with
    Dolby 5.1 audio.

    Before _Titanic_ was released to theatres, critics predicted that it was an
    over-budget disaster that would sink both Fox and Paramount. My only initial
    interest in the film was in seeing the recreated RMS Titanic, filming done
    inside the actual wreckage of the Titanic, Edwardian artifacts and period
    costumes. My friends and I went to the opening night, the theater was less
    than half-full and we had great seats. The print was flawless and perfectly
    projected. The sound was amazing.

    We were so swept away by the overall majesty of the movie, that we forgot
    that _Titanic_ was essentially a poorly-scripted story about prissy Leonardo
    "I'm the king of the world" DiCaprio and his Romeo and Juliet type love
    affair with macho Kate Winslet:

    Jack: They've got you trapped, Rose. And you're gonna die if you don't break
    free. Maybe not right away because you're strong but... Sooner or later that
    fire that I love about you, Rose... That fire's gonna burn out...
    Rose: Teach me to ride like a man.
    Jack: And chew tobacco like a man.
    Rose: And spit like a man!
    Jack: What, they didn't teach you that in finishing school?
    Jack: This is crazy.
    Rose: I know. It doesn't make any sense. That's why I trust it.
    Cal Hockley: Where are you going? To him? To be a whore to a gutter rat?
    Rose: I'd rather be his whore than your wife.

    Whatever. After the opening weekend, the movie played to packed theaters for
    the next 6 months. Titanic's re-watchability factor made it the
    highest-grossing movie of all time.

    Spoiler below:
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    The alternate ending is even worse than the original.

    http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0120338/quotes

    One-Shot Scot, Oct 27, 2005
  7. fredman

    so57th Guest

    One of my favorites. I still can't see dropping $20 to replace my
    original DVD.
    Would rather spend the money on a movie I don't already own.

    so57th, Oct 27, 2005
  8. fredman

    JAM Guest

    Actually, I've seen commercials on television about this new DVD. I've seen
    the commercial several times on cable. I'm not sure why it isn't bigger in
    the stores, but they are advertising it.

    JAM

    JAM, Oct 27, 2005
  9. fredman

    fredman Guest

    On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 07:54:36 GMT, "JAM" <>
    wrote:

    >Actually, I've seen commercials on television about this new DVD. I've seen
    >the commercial several times on cable. I'm not sure why it isn't bigger in
    >the stores, but they are advertising it.

    Well, I just visited a message board over on DVDverdict regarding the
    release, and I must say I agree: having James Cameron's mug on the
    cover is borderline inappropriate and smacks of overblown ego
    syndrome. Other than that, this release is up there with the LOTR
    extended sets as a good example of a finely-produced DVD edition as
    you'll see. It does redeem the original lackluster release. I'm not
    the greatest fan of this movie, but this was very well done and if I'm
    going to have it in my collection, this is definitely the set to have
    (until the HD edition, of course). Cheers.

    fredman, Oct 27, 2005
  10. fredman

    Hal Mallon Guest

    Any one know what the best brick&Morter price is ? I have not seen it
    for less than $19.99...

    Hal Mallon, Oct 27, 2005
  11. fredman

    kaboom Guest

    On 27 Oct 2005 11:24:46 -0700, "Hal Mallon" <> wrote:

    >Any one know what the best brick&Morter price is ? I have not seen it
    >for less than $19.99...

    **I got it at Walmart (stuffed away from the 'new releases' part of
    the rack) for $17.99. The Wizard of Oz was also near it and they had
    it for $19.9X.

    Two other releases were also shoved away and they were the Tom & Jerry
    Spotlight Collection Vol. 2 for $19.8X. And the new Looney Tunes
    Collection Vol. 3 for $47.9X.

    I was left scratching my head at Walmart utterly ignoring all of these
    releases. Normally, most of the new stuff is on sale or at least
    matching/undercutting the prices of assorted stores around the Ann
    Arbor MI area. They only matched the Titanic price of Circuit City
    which was $17.99.

    On a whim, I went with my boss's wife (she has a membership) to Sam's
    Club and found the Looney Tunes Vol 3 collection for $35.86, so I
    bought it there. :)

    kaboomie

    kaboom, Oct 27, 2005
  12. fredman

    jayembee Guest

    "Hal Mallon" <> wrote:

    > Any one know what the best brick&Morter price is ? I have not
    > seen it for less than $19.99...

    BJ's has it for $18.99.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Oct 28, 2005
  13. fredman

    Mike Guest

    I forgot the most interesting part of getting Titanic.

    I came to the DVD area and went to pick up Wizard Of Oz 3 disc from the
    family section, Bewtiched season 2 from the TV section and then I got a
    20 something employee asking if he could help me find something.

    I told him I wanted the new release of Titanic. He never heard of the
    damn movie, he called it "Titantric" and was clueless.

    I was floored that this dude in the DVD section is somehow clueless to
    the biggest moneymaker of all time that is less than 10 years old.

    He was asking me what type of movie it was? Well, it could be under
    Drama, Romance, I dunno.

    Anyway, he was just logging in to the computer about to check when I
    went to the new releases section and found it.

    I couldn't believe it.

    I told him I was looking for

    Mike, Oct 28, 2005
  14. fredman

    Mutley Guest

    Mutley, Oct 28, 2005
  15. fredman

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, Mike <> wrote:
    >I forgot the most interesting part of getting Titanic.
    >
    >I came to the DVD area and went to pick up Wizard Of Oz 3 disc from the
    >family section, Bewtiched season 2 from the TV section and then I got a
    >20 something employee asking if he could help me find something.
    >
    >I told him I wanted the new release of Titanic. He never heard of the
    >damn movie, he called it "Titantric" and was clueless.
    >
    >I was floored that this dude in the DVD section is somehow clueless to
    >the biggest moneymaker of all time that is less than 10 years old.

    The fact that someone has never heard of the ship Titanic is very frightning
    to me.

    GMAN, Oct 28, 2005
  16. JAM <> wrote:

    > Actually, I've seen commercials on television about this new DVD. I've seen
    > the commercial several times on cable. I'm not sure why it isn't bigger in
    > the stores, but they are advertising it.
    >
    > JAM

    Most people already own the film on DVD. Just happens to be the
    previous version.

    Frank Malczewski, Oct 28, 2005
  17. Hal Mallon <> wrote:

    > Any one know what the best brick&Morter price is ? I have not seen it
    > for less than $19.99...

    Check dvdpricesearch.com. They've been fairly good about posting B&M
    pricing Tuesday mornings or thereabouts.

    Circuit City is also doing it for 17.99, Costco was at 18.29.

    Frank Malczewski, Oct 28, 2005
  18. "kaboom" <> wrote in message
    > On 27 Oct 2005 11:24:46 -0700, "Hal Mallon" <> wrote:
    >
    > >Any one know what the best brick&Morter price is ? I have not
    > >seen it for less than $19.99...

    > **I got it at Walmart (stuffed away from the 'new releases' part of
    > the rack) for $17.99. The Wizard of Oz was also near it and they
    > had it for $19.9X.

    My local Costco only had the 3-disk version of _Oz_ for $32.99. So, I went
    across the street and found the following at Wal-Mart:

    _The Wizard of Oz_ 2-disk edition: $14.77

    _Titanic SE_: $19.88

    One-Shot Scot, Oct 28, 2005
  19. "Mutley" <> wrote in message
    > "One-Shot Scot" <> wrote:
    >

    > >!
    > >!
    > >!
    > >The alternate ending is even worse than the original.
    > >

    > >http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0120338/quotes
    > >

    > You mean it didn't sink in the alternate ending?? '-)

    Well, actually, the original ending indicated that the ship didn't _really_
    sink -- it just died and went to heaven.

    The subplot about the priceless diamond necklace became even more ridiculous
    in the alternate ending. It was bad enough when that stupid bitch threw the
    necklace overboard in the original ending. But when her stupidity is further
    enhanced to include most of the crew, it becomes ludicrous.

    One-Shot Scot, Oct 29, 2005
  20. fredman

    Richard C. Guest

    "Hal Mallon" <> wrote in message
    > Any one know what the best brick&Morter price is ? I have not seen it
    > for less than $19.99...

    I got it for $17.99 at BB by price matching CC price.

    Richard C., Oct 29, 2005