    $120 mark or less, but willing to go a little higher if necessary.

    Thanks
    Andy

    Andrew Dixon, Jul 10, 2005

  2. Andrew Dixon

    Rob J Guest

    On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 10:36:00 +1200, Andrew Dixon
    <andrewdixon1000@gmail_nospam_.com> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I am looking at building a reasonably budget AMD system that I would
    >like to be as quiet as possible. I am currently planning on using a
    >socket 754 Sempron with an as yet undecided cooler. Can someone
    >recommend a reasonably quiet PSU, suitable for use in a living room
    >probably next to the TV? It's not going to be a high end system so it
    >won't contain a power hungry vga card, so I'm thinking I probably only
    >need say a 350W supply at most. Hoping to get some thing around the
    >$120 mark or less, but willing to go a little higher if necessary.

    My new PC has an Enermax, it's only 250W in this PC but the whole
    thing is incredibly quiet.

    Rob J, Jul 10, 2005

  3. In article <42d1a2d4$>, andrewdixon1000@gmail_nospam_.com
    says...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am looking at building a reasonably budget AMD system that I would
    > like to be as quiet as possible. I am currently planning on using a
    > socket 754 Sempron with an as yet undecided cooler. Can someone
    > recommend a reasonably quiet PSU, suitable for use in a living room
    > probably next to the TV? It's not going to be a high end system so it
    > won't contain a power hungry vga card, so I'm thinking I probably only
    > need say a 350W supply at most. Hoping to get some thing around the
    > $120 mark or less, but willing to go a little higher if necessary.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Andy

    119.74 Dollars, and very very quiet. You can hear exactly just how quiet
    after turning the machine off because it keeps running the fans for a
    while after to cool everything down nicely. You have to hold your head
    close to the case to hear it at all. It is definitely not *silent*, but
    the sound is barely perceptible and a not_unpleasant grey noise. (rather
    than sharp or whiney or beat or pulse all of which are unpleasant
    noises). For even quieter you'd probably have bo buy a Nexus at twice
    the price or one of those fan-less ones at three times the price :)

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Jul 11, 2005
  4. Andrew Dixon

    gibbo Guest

    Andrew Dixon wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am looking at building a reasonably budget AMD system that I would
    > like to be as quiet as possible. I am currently planning on using a
    > socket 754 Sempron with an as yet undecided cooler. Can someone
    > recommend a reasonably quiet PSU, suitable for use in a living room
    > probably next to the TV? It's not going to be a high end system so it
    > won't contain a power hungry vga card, so I'm thinking I probably only
    > need say a 350W supply at most. Hoping to get some thing around the
    > $120 mark or less, but willing to go a little higher if necessary.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Andy

    http://www.pp.co.nz/ProductsD.php?pp_id=PSU00044

    fanless = no noise at all... but pricey.

    gibbo, Jul 11, 2005
  5. Andrew Dixon

    Andrew Dixon Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:
    > In article <42d1a2d4$>, andrewdixon1000@gmail_nospam_.com
    > says...
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I am looking at building a reasonably budget AMD system that I would
    >>like to be as quiet as possible. I am currently planning on using a
    >>socket 754 Sempron with an as yet undecided cooler. Can someone
    >>recommend a reasonably quiet PSU, suitable for use in a living room
    >>probably next to the TV? It's not going to be a high end system so it
    >>won't contain a power hungry vga card, so I'm thinking I probably only
    >>need say a 350W supply at most. Hoping to get some thing around the
    >>$120 mark or less, but willing to go a little higher if necessary.
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>Andy
    >>

    > http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=144941
    >
    > 119.74 Dollars, and very very quiet. You can hear exactly just how quiet
    > after turning the machine off because it keeps running the fans for a
    > while after to cool everything down nicely. You have to hold your head
    > close to the case to hear it at all. It is definitely not *silent*, but
    > the sound is barely perceptible and a not_unpleasant grey noise. (rather
    > than sharp or whiney or beat or pulse all of which are unpleasant
    > noises). For even quieter you'd probably have bo buy a Nexus at twice
    > the price or one of those fan-less ones at three times the price :)
    >
    > -P.

    Thanks for the suggestion. This looks like the frontrunner at the moment.

    Thanks
    Andy

    Andrew Dixon, Jul 11, 2005
  6. Andrew Dixon

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:
    > In article <42d1a2d4$>,
    > andrewdixon1000@gmail_nospam_.com says...
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I am looking at building a reasonably budget AMD system that I would
    >> like to be as quiet as possible. I am currently planning on using a
    >> socket 754 Sempron with an as yet undecided cooler. Can someone
    >> recommend a reasonably quiet PSU, suitable for use in a living room
    >> probably next to the TV? It's not going to be a high end system so
    >> it won't contain a power hungry vga card, so I'm thinking I probably
    >> only need say a 350W supply at most. Hoping to get some thing
    >> around the $120 mark or less, but willing to go a little higher if
    >> necessary.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Andy
    >>

    > http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=144941
    >
    > 119.74 Dollars, and very very quiet. You can hear exactly just how
    > quiet after turning the machine off because it keeps running the fans
    > for a while after to cool everything down nicely. You have to hold
    > your head close to the case to hear it at all. It is definitely not
    > *silent*, but the sound is barely perceptible and a not_unpleasant
    > grey noise. (rather than sharp or whiney or beat or pulse all of
    > which are unpleasant noises). For even quieter you'd probably have
    > bo buy a Nexus at twice the price or one of those fan-less ones at
    > three times the price :)

    Looks nice.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jul 11, 2005
  7. Andrew Dixon

    ~misfit~ Guest

    gibbo wrote:
    > Andrew Dixon wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I am looking at building a reasonably budget AMD system that I would
    >> like to be as quiet as possible. I am currently planning on using a
    >> socket 754 Sempron with an as yet undecided cooler. Can someone
    >> recommend a reasonably quiet PSU, suitable for use in a living room
    >> probably next to the TV? It's not going to be a high end system so
    >> it won't contain a power hungry vga card, so I'm thinking I probably
    >> only need say a 350W supply at most. Hoping to get some thing
    >> around the $120 mark or less, but willing to go a little higher if
    >> necessary.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Andy

    > http://www.pp.co.nz/ProductsD.php?pp_id=PSU00044
    >
    > fanless = no noise at all... but pricey.

    The only probelm with going fanless with the PSU is that ensures you *will*
    need a case fan and most case fans are noisier than a good (cheaper than the
    above) PSU.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jul 11, 2005
  8. Andrew Dixon

    Tony Guest

    On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 10:36:00 +1200, Andrew Dixon
    <andrewdixon1000@gmail_nospam_.com> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I am looking at building a reasonably budget AMD system that I would
    >like to be as quiet as possible. I am currently planning on using a
    >socket 754 Sempron with an as yet undecided cooler. Can someone
    >recommend a reasonably quiet PSU, suitable for use in a living room
    >probably next to the TV? It's not going to be a high end system so it
    >won't contain a power hungry vga card, so I'm thinking I probably only
    >need say a 350W supply at most. Hoping to get some thing around the
    >$120 mark or less, but willing to go a little higher if necessary.
    >
    >Thanks
    >Andy

    Plus you need a Fan to keep the Hard Drives cool..

    This has a Fan control thing and they are Very Quite

    Enermax EG425P-VE SFMA, Dual Fan, 420W ATX PSU

    $119.74 incl GST

    Tony, Jul 11, 2005
  9. Andrew Dixon

    David Preece Guest

    Andrew Dixon wrote:
    > I am looking at building a reasonably budget AMD system that I would
    > like to be as quiet as possible.

    I got an Antec PSU. Very good, but a bit on the pricey side ($170 odd
    these days).

    Dave

    David Preece, Jul 11, 2005