    Tony Guest

    Hi all, I'm after an ultra quiet standard ATX power supply. Any
    recommendations ?
    Tony, Feb 18, 2006

  2. Tony

    gimp Guest

    Tony wrote:
    > Hi all, I'm after an ultra quiet standard ATX power supply. Any
    > recommendations ?

    i have a seasonic S12, excellent quality, SLI support, 350-500W models
    are available in NZ, not too expensive, and voted in the top 5 quietest
    PSUs by silentpcreview.com.
    gimp, Feb 18, 2006

  3. Tony

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Tony wrote:
    > Hi all, I'm after an ultra quiet standard ATX power supply. Any
    > recommendations ?

    I have a friend who bought one recently from Quay Computers, for $45.00,
    and he says it it *really* quiet. Has a large (120mm) and slow fan.
    -=rjh=-, Feb 18, 2006
  4. On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 17:13:51 +1300, -=rjh=- wrote:

    > Tony wrote:
    >> Hi all, I'm after an ultra quiet standard ATX power supply. Any
    >> recommendations ?

    > I have a friend who bought one recently from Quay Computers, for $45.00,
    > and he says it it *really* quiet. Has a large (120mm) and slow fan.

    Yes - I too bought one of those.

    I was informed by the staff at Quay that, after some experience with them,
    they found that these PSUs are not suitable for use with Intel P4 heaters,
    and that they had been taken out of cases that were to have P4-based
    computers assembled in them.

    But if you're planning to use it with an earlier CPU, then it should be
    fine. I've had no problems using it with a p3-600 .

    A Nice Cup of Tea

    --
    A: because it messes up threading
    Q: why should I not reply by top-posting?
    A Nice Cup of Tea, Feb 18, 2006
  5. In article <newscache$ra3vui$i1k$>,
    says...
    > Hi all, I'm after an ultra quiet standard ATX power supply. Any
    > recommendations ?

    Ultra quiet: Nexus
    Antec Phantom (fanless)
    http://www.ascent.co.nz/ProductSpecification.aspx?ItemID=338288
    thought there wan another fanless one but can't find it just now.
    Very quiet: Enermax
    Antec
    Zalman (?) used to be anyhow

    I.i.r.c. Thermaltake are overrated (high brand recognition not backed by
    performance reviews)

    look around the silentpc website and similar; I don't exactly consider myself
    to be bleeding edge up-to-date :)

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Feb 18, 2006
  6. Tony

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 15:37:44 +1300, Tony wrote:

    > Hi all, I'm after an ultra quiet standard ATX power supply. Any
    > recommendations ?

    Zalman

    http://www.quietpc.co.nz is one place you can find them. You may need to
    lock up your bean counter before you purchase.

    Have you eliminated all the small high reving noisy fans? eg on some video
    cards
    Gordon, Feb 18, 2006
  7. Tony

    Rob J Guest

    In article <newscache$ra3vui$i1k$>,
    says...
    > Hi all, I'm after an ultra quiet standard ATX power supply. Any
    > recommendations ?

    Enermax are very quiet supplies from my experience of them.
    Rob J, Feb 18, 2006
  8. Tony

    S Roby Guest

    In article <newscache$ra3vui$i1k$>, Tony <> wrote:
    >Hi all, I'm after an ultra quiet standard ATX power supply. Any
    >recommendations ?

    Stay away from the cheapies.
    When they fail they can blow EVERY component in the PC
    I know of one retailer whose cheapies had a 10% failure rate,he didnt care

    Enermax are quite good
    Tomshardware.com has some good PSU torture tests
    S Roby, Feb 18, 2006
  9. Tony

    Daniel Guest

    Tony wrote:
    > Hi all, I'm after an ultra quiet standard ATX power supply. Any
    > recommendations ?

    Another vote for the Seasonic S12 series.

    Only supplier in NZ (AFAIK) are Advantage (www.advantage.co.nz).

    It's ranked #1 in the 400W+ category by SilentPCReview.com:

    Only minor downside with the S12-430 (that's on the S12-500) is that it
    doesn't have PCIe VGA connectors, but, you can get adapters anyways.

    Fanless seem like a good idea, although you should read the warning on
    them from the link above.
    Daniel, Feb 19, 2006
  10. Tony

    Rich Guest

    "Tony" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all, I'm after an ultra quiet standard ATX power supply. Any
    > recommendations ?

    I have a SilenX PSU from www.modyourpc.com (a NZ outfit) and it is virtually
    silent...just not the cheapest PSU in the world. ;-)
    Rich, Feb 19, 2006
  11. Tony

    thingy Guest

    Tony wrote:
    > Hi all, I'm after an ultra quiet standard ATX power supply. Any
    > recommendations ?

    www.tomshardware.com, look for PSU tests.

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Feb 20, 2006
  12. On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 20:08:18 +1300, thingy wrote:

    > Tony wrote:
    >> Hi all, I'm after an ultra quiet standard ATX power supply. Any
    >> recommendations ?

    > www.tomshardware.com, look for PSU tests.

    If it's quiet he wants then he won't be able to get quieter than this:

    http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/02/20/0219250&from=rss

    A Nice Cup of Tea

    --
    A: because it messes up threading
    Q: why should I not reply by top-posting?
    A Nice Cup of Tea, Feb 20, 2006
  13. Tony

    Mercury Guest

    The trouble with fanless is that something else then has to move the air -
    your choice if you you have the right case.

    Very high efficiency PSU's help on this front as they don't create a lot of
    heat and so have little heat that needs pushing out anyway.

    I have an Antec Phantom which is "high" efficiency etc and has a 3 way
    switch - you can select the temp the fan kicks in on. It is in an MCE system
    with selected for low noise components - it can't be heard.

    IE
    AMD PR3500+ with SLK120 (? - way overkill)12cm Nexus + at low revs & speed
    fan
    Case: 12cm Nexus x 2 at low revs with speed fan
    PSU: Antec Phantom
    Northbridge: Swifttech MCX159-CU **

    ** recommended

    The MCE system is in the bedroom, runs 24 x 7 and is unnoticeable in an
    otherwise dead quiet environment.

    I had to import the Swifttech specially from the US. The only pitfall of all
    this was it was a tad expensive, but the CPU sits at 32c, the motherboard
    34c, HDD's 29c in an air con environment @ 21c or so (yip air con in
    bedroom).

    - Tim

    Mercury, Feb 21, 2006
  14. On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 10:21:42 +1300, Mercury wrote:

    > I had to import the Swifttech specially from the US. The only pitfall of
    > all this was it was a tad expensive, but the CPU sits at 32c, the
    > motherboard 34c, HDD's 29c in an air con environment @ 21c or so (yip air
    > con in bedroom).

    If you've got air conditioning in your bedroom, what $$$$ do you equate to
    being "a tad expensive"?

    A Nice Cup of Tea

    --
    A: because it messes up threading
    Q: why should I not reply by top-posting?
    A Nice Cup of Tea, Feb 22, 2006
  15. Tony

    Mercury Guest

    Ummm. not too much. I just wanted a dead quiet system that would run cool &
    quiet if the air con was off as it gets to 36c often here. But what the heck
    the air con only costs $4 a day to run 24 hours and I am happy with that
    comfort level.

    A fan at $30 is expensive to me (scruge). $120 a month for air con comfort
    passes as OK as an expense :)

    Mercury, Feb 22, 2006