Quiet Pc cooling fans

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Mark Ferguson, Nov 25, 2003.

  1. Has some one the link for the NZ people who do quiet PC fans and cooling
    systems?
    Mark Ferguson, Nov 25, 2003
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Mark Ferguson

    T.N.O. Guest

    Mark Ferguson wrote:
    > Has some one the link for the NZ people who do quiet PC fans and cooling
    > systems?


    Other than dropping them to 7V or 5V, there doesnt seem to be any NZ
    based solutions.

    quietpc.com was good, as was silentpc.com last time I checked...
    Personally Im going it alone, as no-one seems to be able to do a decent job.
    T.N.O., Nov 25, 2003
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 15:10:20 +1300, "Mark Ferguson"
    <> wrote:

    >Has some one the link for the NZ people who do quiet PC fans and cooling
    >systems?
    >




    This brand could be available but as its Ascent its any one guess...

    So Please do not Blame me is its not..

    http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=107843


    3 sizes listed 80,92 & 120..
    Gregory Parker, Nov 25, 2003
    #3
  4. On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 15:16:33 +1300, "T.N.O." <> wrote:

    >Mark Ferguson wrote:
    >> Has some one the link for the NZ people who do quiet PC fans and cooling
    >> systems?

    >
    >Other than dropping them to 7V or 5V, there doesnt seem to be any NZ
    >based solutions.
    >
    >quietpc.com was good, as was silentpc.com last time I checked...
    >Personally Im going it alone, as no-one seems to be able to do a decent job.




    May be you should check on Ascent


    http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=107843
    Gregory Parker, Nov 25, 2003
    #4
  5. Mark Ferguson

    Dogg Guest

    On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 15:10:20 +1300, "Mark Ferguson"
    <> wrote:

    >Has some one the link for the NZ people who do quiet PC fans and cooling
    >systems?
    >


    http://www.quietpc.com/nz/

    For future reference, you should "munge" your email address when
    posting to newsgroups to avoid address harvesting bots and being
    spammed to buggery. An example would be
    Dogg, Nov 25, 2003
    #5
  6. Justin C. Le Grice, Nov 25, 2003
    #6
  7. In article <qSywb.9506$>, "Mark Ferguson" <> wrote:
    >Has some one the link for the NZ people who do quiet PC fans and cooling
    >systems?
    >
    >

    Even the quiet fans arnt that quiet.
    I have tried Vantec Stealth fans: they are quieter just from running slower(but wernt quiet enough)
    Why not try just running fans at 5v(easy to make an adapter). Fans are very quiet then, probhably
    quieter than 'quiet fans'.
    Steve Robertson, Nov 25, 2003
    #7
  8. On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 07:06:36 GMT, (Steve Robertson) wrote:

    >In article <qSywb.9506$>, "Mark Ferguson" <> wrote:
    >>Has some one the link for the NZ people who do quiet PC fans and cooling
    >>systems?
    >>
    >>

    >Even the quiet fans arnt that quiet.
    >I have tried Vantec Stealth fans: they are quieter just from running slower(but wernt quiet enough)
    >Why not try just running fans at 5v(easy to make an adapter). Fans are very quiet then, probhably
    >quieter than 'quiet fans'.




    No NO & NO, you get No Air Flow..
    Gregory Parker, Nov 25, 2003
    #8
  9. Mark Ferguson

    The Hobbit Guest

    "Gregory Parker" <> wrote in message
    news:p...
    > On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 07:06:36 GMT, (Steve Robertson)

    wrote:
    >
    > >In article <qSywb.9506$>, "Mark Ferguson"

    <Snipped>

    > >Why not try just running fans at 5v(easy to make an adapter). Fans are

    very quiet then, probhably
    > >quieter than 'quiet fans'.

    >
    >
    >
    > No NO & NO, you get No Air Flow..
    >


    You don't need a *lot* of airflow Woger - in fact high airflow can blow dust
    into the heatsink reducing it's efficiency - do a google on the subject for
    a number of reviews and HOWTOs around this if you'd like to learn some more
    on the matter.

    My question for the silencers amongst the group is - how effective is the
    sound absorption matting?
    There was a thread a while back which listed this as #2 or #3 on the list of
    things to change after CPU fan and Case Fans...

    CPU fan I intend to do when I can find a decent review on an AMD cooler,
    case fans I can slow down, so that'd leave the reflective surfaces inside
    the case to deaden next - or do I just bite the bulled and go water cooled?!
    (seems a bit involved and drastic to me :) )
    The Hobbit, Nov 25, 2003
    #9
  10. Mark Ferguson

    John Guest

    On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 12:38:18 +1300, The Hobbit wrote:

    <snip>


    > My question for the silencers amongst the group is - how effective is the
    > sound absorption matting?
    > There was a thread a while back which listed this as #2 or #3 on the list of
    > things to change after CPU fan and Case Fans...


    I purchased an "Akasa Paxmate Acoustic Absorption Mat" from Paradigm
    last November ($52).
    I had my wife listen to the computer before, and after, I fitted the
    mat and in her opinion there was no difference in the noise level,
    this was also my reaction.

    Needless to say I was disappointed and shrugged it off as more wasted
    money on computers. That was until a couple of weeks later when I
    realised that I hadn't been aware of the noise for awhile.

    Once you think about the noise it seems the same as before fitting the
    mat, but I'm not aware of the noise normally.
    In my opinion the noise level is still the same as previous, but a
    frequency level must have changed.

    Regards
    John
    John, Nov 26, 2003
    #10
  11. Mark Ferguson

    Jerry Guest

    On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 13:48:38 +1300, John <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 12:38:18 +1300, The Hobbit wrote:
    >
    ><snip>
    >
    >
    >> My question for the silencers amongst the group is - how effective is the
    >> sound absorption matting?
    >> There was a thread a while back which listed this as #2 or #3 on the list of
    >> things to change after CPU fan and Case Fans...

    >
    >I purchased an "Akasa Paxmate Acoustic Absorption Mat" from Paradigm
    >last November ($52).
    >I had my wife listen to the computer before, and after, I fitted the
    >mat and in her opinion there was no difference in the noise level,
    >this was also my reaction.


    I couldn't hear anything over my wife. Since she moved out I've been
    enjoying the sound of my fans.

    Jerry
    Jerry, Nov 26, 2003
    #11
  12. "The Hobbit" <> writes:

    >"Gregory Parker" <> wrote in message
    >news:p...
    >> On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 07:06:36 GMT, (Steve Robertson)

    >wrote:
    >>
    >> >In article <qSywb.9506$>, "Mark Ferguson"

    ><Snipped>


    >> >Why not try just running fans at 5v(easy to make an adapter). Fans are

    >very quiet then, probhably
    >> >quieter than 'quiet fans'.

    >>
    >> No NO & NO, you get No Air Flow..


    >You don't need a *lot* of airflow Woger - in fact high airflow can blow dust
    >into the heatsink reducing it's efficiency - do a google on the subject for
    >a number of reviews and HOWTOs around this if you'd like to learn some more
    >on the matter.


    Another thing with airflow is that even with a relatively silent fan motor,
    the airflow can produce a considerable amount of noise. Out of the contents
    of my fan club the 120mm Panasonic L1A (a special low-noise model) is by far
    the loudest because it's moving something like 70 cfm of air, and having that
    flowing through the fan, grills, and across internal parts of the computer
    produces a considerable amount of noise (the 30 dba L1A at 12V easily drowned
    out the 38 dba fan on one CPU HSF I was playing with, you really don't want to
    run this at more than 7V).

    >My question for the silencers amongst the group is - how effective is the
    >sound absorption matting?
    >There was a thread a while back which listed this as #2 or #3 on the list of
    >things to change after CPU fan and Case Fans...


    Opinions vary greatly, from "barely noticeable" to "moderately effective",
    with the latter seeming to coincide more with systems that start out pretty
    noisy anyway. OTH they are very effective at raising the system's internal
    temperature, since you're adding a think layer of insulation to the case.

    Peter.
    Peter Gutmann, Nov 27, 2003
    #12
  13. John <> writes:

    >Once you think about the noise it seems the same as before fitting the
    >mat, but I'm not aware of the noise normally.
    >In my opinion the noise level is still the same as previous, but a
    >frequency level must have changed.


    Yeah, you can get that depending on what sort of insulation you use. You can
    get heavy-duty rubber matting used to deaden vibrations in car panels and line
    your case with those to get rid of low-frequency/vibration noise, for example.
    Before you start you really need to figure out what sort of noise is the
    biggest problem. It's very system-dependant, for example if you have a pre-
    FDB HDD that'd be the first thing to go for, then insulation for HF/LF noise,
    maybe change the case fan, etc etc. Unfortunately frequently the only way to
    do this is to spend the $$$ to fit various noise-control features and see
    which works best.

    Peter.
    Peter Gutmann, Nov 27, 2003
    #13
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Silverstrand

    AcoustiFan No Dust Quiet Fans @ A True Review

    Silverstrand, Aug 4, 2005, in forum: Front Page News
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    720
    Silverstrand
    Aug 4, 2005
  2. Silverstrand
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    698
    Silverstrand
    Nov 11, 2006
  3. Victor Frolov

    Quiet fans for the Cisco equipment

    Victor Frolov, Aug 10, 2007, in forum: Cisco
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    1,001
    Doug McIntyre
    Aug 13, 2007
  4. J.wilson

    cpu quiet cooling

    J.wilson, Jan 7, 2005, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    400
    Dave - Dave.net.nz
    Jan 7, 2005
  5. Bob Bob
    Replies:
    13
    Views:
    854
    Phat Sam
    Mar 10, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page