    Drew Guest

    Waaaay too quiet anymore.. It seems to have been quite awhile since I
    have seen a post here.

    Drew, Mar 12, 2014

  2. On Wednesday, 12 March 2014 02:13:21 UTC, R. C. White wrote:
    > Hi, Drew.
    >
    > Yes, this used to be one of the best NGs around. Several of us regulars
    > worked hard to keep MS from shutting it down when they closed their public
    > news servers in 2010. But now, it seems, we've effectively shut it down
    > ourselves by simply not using it. :>(
    >
    > This is the first thread started here since "Registry" by "Zvuk" on December
    > 29, 2013. MVP Charlie Russel replied in January.
    >
    > I still check it every day, but don't see anything...

    Maybe things are fine now for most users? Or, conversely,
    maybe Windows 8 is just too baffling for anybody, 32 or
    64 bit version?

    I've got a Win 8 tablet that I haven't figured out how
    to use yet; I can barely formulate the questions about it.

    Such as: can I, and how can I, back up this thing's SSD
    so that I can restore everything back, on - worst case -
    a completely messed up machine or on a replacement SSD,
    from a single backup file, without "unnecessary" contents
    such as the present data in the hibernation file and
    paging file? By means of booting from a recovery disk
    on DVD?

    Hibernation and paging on their own will fill an entire
    DVD in a backup set, if included. I regard that as a
    serious waste of time and of discs.

    It's a Samsung Ativ Smart PC Pro 700T, and I do have a
    recovery program option of "Disk copy". Does that
    copy all disk partitions to a duplicate or backup,
    and, can the backup be a device that is used for
    something else, or only be a clone of the SSD?

    Is there a role for the "Windows 7 File Recovery" tool
    that apparently is another system image tool included
    in Windows 8?

    My plans for managing the large temporary files include
    disabling hibernation and setting quite a small size of
    paging file - I've been advised in previous Windows versions
    that some memory management won't work properly if there
    is no paging file at all - to get proportionally quite
    a lot of space back on the SSD, and, if necessary,
    overwriting empty file space on the disk with files
    containing megabytes of zeroes, then deleting those files,
    so that a disk backup taken without reference to file system
    formatting and unused space, will see the zeroes in the
    unused space, and compress right down, if compression is
    available.

    Oh yeah - and make /two/ DVD recovery disc sets /including/
    the "Recovery Partition" that is on the SSD, and then
    erase and reclaim /that/. The "Computer Management" display
    tells me that there's a 11 GB "Recovery Partition" located
    next to my "C:", which is "Simple Basic", apparently
    /not/ NTFS and not any other named file system type,
    and with 100% free space. So I'm considering having
    a smaller C: volume and a new D: volume using that space
    and some of the current space of C:.

    This is the first GPT computer that I've owned; up to now,
    I've done backups with a Linux tool called "partimage"
    which mainly understands the previous type of disk
    partitioning, whose name I've temporarily forgotten:
    four partitions on the disk. And it's the second
    true Windows tablet, but the first one (Dell Latitude ST,
    Windows 7) has been not practically useable because
    it frequently freezes for 60 full seconds - I don't
    know why but it /may/ be because I partitioned it,
    or interfered with one of those special files in the
    wrong way. So, I want to make /very/ sure that whatever
    I do to the new machine, I can undo. Oh, by the way,
    its stylus works if it wants to.

    I'm writing this message on an HP TouchSmart TM2,
    which I'm not counting as a "tablet" because it's
    a heavy hunk of laptop, although it /does/ come
    with its own screen stylus.

    I hear that some people prefer to just reinstall
    Windows from nothing regularly - but I want to have
    a copy of the computer after I've configured all
    of the settings and installed all of the updates.

    I suppose that's going to include the forthcoming
    Windows 8.1 Service Pack 1, if that's the correct
    name, but currently Windows 8.0 is installed.
    I want to know more about that, too - do I need
    to get 8.1 and then 8.1 Service Pack 1 by
    download from the "Windows Store"?

    I know I don't want to do that more than once.
    Or, as it may be, once each. Then, backups of
    the configured system.

    Robert Carnegie, Mar 12, 2014

  3. Drew

    John Turco Guest

    On 3/11/2014 7:04 PM, Drew wrote:
    > Waaaay too quiet anymore.. It seems to have been quite awhile since I
    > have seen a post here.

    I've continued to lurk here, regardless.

    John

    John Turco, Mar 12, 2014
  4. Drew

    Drew Guest

    On 3/11/2014 7:13 PM, R. C. White wrote:
    > Hi, Drew.
    >
    > Yes, this used to be one of the best NGs around. Several of us regulars
    > worked hard to keep MS from shutting it down when they closed their
    > public news servers in 2010. But now, it seems, we've effectively shut
    > it down ourselves by simply not using it. :>(
    >
    > This is the first thread started here since "Registry" by "Zvuk" on
    > December 29, 2013. MVP Charlie Russel replied in January.
    >
    > I still check it every day, but don't see anything...
    >
    > RC
    > --
    > R. C. White, CPA
    > San Marcos, TX
    >
    > Microsoft Windows MVP (2002-2010)
    > Windows Live Mail 2012 (Build 16.4.3522.0110) in Win8.1 Pro with Media
    > Center
    >

    > "Drew" wrote in message news:lfo8ar$6b4$...
    >
    > Waaaay too quiet anymore.. It seems to have been quite awhile since I
    > have seen a post here.

    Hey there RC.. Yes I too check everyday but alas you are right it seems
    we are guilty of jumping out of our own perfectly good airplane! This
    was the place that helped me so much in learning and that is probably
    why I keep coming back.

    Drew, Mar 13, 2014
  5. Drew

    Drew Guest

    On 3/12/2014 1:37 PM, John Turco wrote:
    > On 3/11/2014 7:04 PM, Drew wrote:
    >> Waaaay too quiet anymore.. It seems to have been quite awhile since I
    >> have seen a post here.

    > I've continued to lurk here, regardless.
    >
    > John

    Geez John !! I so seldom see anything from you out and around that I
    forget that you were a damn good lurker!

    Drew, Mar 13, 2014
  6. I only check it every couple of days, maybe not for a week sometimes.
    Doesn't seem a point.

    In one way, it's dead because we did our job. We helped get people
    transitioned to 64-bit Windows, helping folks over some of those early
    humps. (And there were some beauts!) But now, 64-bit is mainstream. And MS
    is gone from the newsgroups. Ah, well.

    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel-MVP, Mar 14, 2014
  7. Well, it's good to know we helped. And you know, you can always still ask
    here. There are a few of us who check it periodically. Though I admit, not
    hourly as I did in the early days of 64-bit.

    Charlie.
    http://blogs.msmvps.com/russel

    Charlie Russel-MVP, Mar 14, 2014
  8. Drew

    John Turco Guest

    On 3/12/2014 7:58 PM, Drew wrote:
    > On 3/12/2014 1:37 PM, John Turco wrote:
    >> On 3/11/2014 7:04 PM, Drew wrote:
    >>> Waaaay too quiet anymore.. It seems to have been quite awhile since I
    >>> have seen a post here.

    >> I've continued to lurk here, regardless.
    >>
    >> John

    > Geez John !! I so seldom see anything from you out and around that I
    > forget that you were a damn good lurker!

    Thanks, Drew.

    John

    John Turco, Mar 15, 2014