    question is: has anyone ever found a good quiet (please no whine) HDD which
    would be suitable for my purposes?

    Nick..

    Nick, Oct 14, 2005

  2. Nick

    JTJersey Guest

    On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 18:31:09 -0400, Nick wrote:

    > I'm recently have built, and continue to update, a computer to be used
    > exclusively for a home theatre application (pvr, movies, music, etc.)
    > and have gotten pretty well everything together the way I like it except
    > for one thing. I am using an extremely quiet (can't even tell when it's
    > on) PSU, and my CPU fan is hardly noticable, but my 160GB Maxtor Ultra
    > Series which claims to have an "Ultra Quiet FDB Motor" is exceedingly
    > loud! It constantly gives off a whine that I can easily hear above even
    > the loudest of movies, and of course clicks when any reading/writing is
    > done. My question is: has anyone ever found a good quiet (please no
    > whine) HDD which would be suitable for my purposes?
    >
    > Nick..

    Is it new? Exchange it for another one. Drives may develop a whine over
    a period of years, but a new one, especially one advertiesed as "Ultra
    Quiet", should be hardly noticeable. I've had new Western Digital drives
    just like that and they exchanged them without a question. There are
    mounts you can fit a drive into that will take a whinny drive and shut it
    right up, but again, I've only used them for older units that I wanted for
    backups or some such thing. This is the one I use -
    http://www.3dvelocity.com/reviews/sunhddcool/sunhcool_1.htm

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152

    JTJersey, Oct 15, 2005

  3. Nick

    JD Guest

    Nick wrote:
    > I'm recently have built, and continue to update, a computer to be used
    > exclusively for a home theatre application (pvr, movies, music, etc.) and
    > have gotten pretty well everything together the way I like it except for one
    > thing. I am using an extremely quiet (can't even tell when it's on) PSU,
    > and my CPU fan is hardly noticable, but my 160GB Maxtor Ultra Series which
    > claims to have an "Ultra Quiet FDB Motor" is exceedingly loud! It
    > constantly gives off a whine that I can easily hear above even the loudest
    > of movies, and of course clicks when any reading/writing is done. My
    > question is: has anyone ever found a good quiet (please no whine) HDD which
    > would be suitable for my purposes?
    >
    > Nick..

    what you want is a 250GB Samsung Spinpoint SATAII, not only are they
    faster that a WesternDigital Raptor they are so quiet you wont know its
    there.

    JD, Oct 15, 2005
  4. Nick

    JD Guest

    JD wrote:
    > Nick wrote:
    >
    >> I'm recently have built, and continue to update, a computer to be used
    >> exclusively for a home theatre application (pvr, movies, music, etc.)
    >> and have gotten pretty well everything together the way I like it
    >> except for one thing. I am using an extremely quiet (can't even tell
    >> when it's on) PSU, and my CPU fan is hardly noticable, but my 160GB
    >> Maxtor Ultra Series which claims to have an "Ultra Quiet FDB Motor" is
    >> exceedingly loud! It constantly gives off a whine that I can easily
    >> hear above even the loudest of movies, and of course clicks when any
    >> reading/writing is done. My question is: has anyone ever found a good
    >> quiet (please no whine) HDD which would be suitable for my purposes?
    >>
    >> Nick..
    >>

    > what you want is a 250GB Samsung Spinpoint SATAII, not only are they
    > faster that a WesternDigital Raptor they are so quiet you wont know its
    > there.

    I think Zalman make a similar thing, its basically two rubber blocks
    that adapt your hard drive to fit in a 5" bay.

    JD, Oct 15, 2005
  5. Nick

    Nick Guest

    Thanks very much.. Spinpoint it is!

    Nick

    Nick, Oct 17, 2005
  6. Nick

    Nick Guest

    I purchased a spinpoint and am very happy with it. Thanks for everyone who
    helped!

    Nick

    Nick, Oct 26, 2005