    Cheers
    Southern Kiwi
    southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com
    Southern Kiwi, May 16, 2005

  2. Southern Kiwi wrote:
    > PIII on a VIA motherboard (running 24/7 in lounge)
    > Prefer case/power supply combo.
    > Under $150

    I got one of these for $65
    http://zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=33&code=005

    Very Highly recommended.
    It says all Socket 370 supported.

    I'm about to get a Thermaltake PSU for ~$120 thats supposedly silent...

    I have a good relationship with the shop, so returns arent a problem for me.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 16, 2005

  3. In article <>,
    says...
    > Southern Kiwi wrote:
    > > PIII on a VIA motherboard (running 24/7 in lounge)
    > > Prefer case/power supply combo.
    > > Under $150

    > I got one of these for $65
    > http://zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=33&code=005
    >
    > Very Highly recommended.
    > It says all Socket 370 supported.
    >
    > I'm about to get a Thermaltake PSU for ~$120 thats supposedly silent...
    >
    > I have a good relationship with the shop, so returns arent a problem for me.

    I recently got the Enermax "Noisetaker" (stupid name, eh?) 420W PSU -
    it's not the most quiet measured out there, but then it's only half
    price of a Nexus ... I paid around $119 inc. and it's pretty damn quiet,
    you virtually have to hold your ear next to it to hear the two fans.
    It's got a manual fan speed control on the back as well (haven't had to
    play with it yet).
    _Quite_ pleased with it so far. Having put that in, and a Vantech
    Stealth 92mm fan on the cpu heatsink and a silent Northbridge heatsink
    I now have to do a double take and look for the light to see if the comp
    is on or off when I walk into the room where before it sounded like a
    Jumbo Jet taking off from down the hall :) I reckon if I replace the 3
    old harddrives with a new fluid bearing one and rubber-mount it, it will
    be just about totally quiet in here, except for the noises I _choose_ to
    make!

    -P.
    Peter Huebner, May 16, 2005
  4. In article <4287db44$>,
    southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com says...
    > PIII on a VIA motherboard (running 24/7 in lounge)
    > Prefer case/power supply combo.
    > Under $150

    Doubt you'll get a *quiet* combo at that price. I spent a few hours
    research on cases and psus lately and the cheapest case that has been
    tested as really being very quiet that I could come up with was the
    Antec SLK3000B mid tower which is about $170 without PSU.
    Previously I had been looking at the quiet LianLi cases but they are so
    darn dear :-(

    Cheapest complete quiet combo seems to be the Antec Sonata case with
    psu, but some reviewers took issues with some of the design features of
    that case, e.g. very cramped to work on mobo, cross-mounted hard drive
    cage impeding air flow from the bottom front of the case i.i.r.c.

    -P.
    Peter Huebner, May 16, 2005
  5. Southern Kiwi

    GraB Guest

    On Mon, 16 May 2005 14:30:48 +1200, Peter Huebner
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >says...
    >> Southern Kiwi wrote:
    >> > PIII on a VIA motherboard (running 24/7 in lounge)
    >> > Prefer case/power supply combo.
    >> > Under $150

    >> I got one of these for $65
    >> http://zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=33&code=005
    >>
    >> Very Highly recommended.
    >> It says all Socket 370 supported.
    >>
    >> I'm about to get a Thermaltake PSU for ~$120 thats supposedly silent...
    >>
    >> I have a good relationship with the shop, so returns arent a problem for me.
    >>

    >I recently got the Enermax "Noisetaker" (stupid name, eh?) 420W PSU -
    >it's not the most quiet measured out there, but then it's only half
    >price of a Nexus ... I paid around $119 inc. and it's pretty damn quiet,
    >you virtually have to hold your ear next to it to hear the two fans.
    >It's got a manual fan speed control on the back as well (haven't had to
    >play with it yet).
    >_Quite_ pleased with it so far. Having put that in, and a Vantech
    >Stealth 92mm fan on the cpu heatsink and a silent Northbridge heatsink
    >I now have to do a double take and look for the light to see if the comp
    >is on or off when I walk into the room where before it sounded like a
    >Jumbo Jet taking off from down the hall :) I reckon if I replace the 3
    >old harddrives with a new fluid bearing one and rubber-mount it, it will
    >be just about totally quiet in here, except for the noises I _choose_ to
    >make!

    I find the Zalman CNPS7000B-ALCU almost noiseless, with open case and
    the Samsung hard drive very silent. You would have to check if the
    Zalman is compatible with the mobo as it requires premade holes in the
    mobo to bolt it on.
    GraB, May 16, 2005
  6. Southern Kiwi

    gimp Guest

    Southern Kiwi wrote:
    > PIII on a VIA motherboard (running 24/7 in lounge)
    > Prefer case/power supply combo.
    > Under $150

    if you want quiet, when looking at the online stores just look for
    something with big fans, 120mm if possible, it gives you some room to
    run them at lower speed and still get reasonable airflow.

    there's less obvious issues that can affect noise, ie, poor fan
    mounting. my thermaltake tsunami case with dual 12cm fans was a noisy
    piece of sh** before i modded it, removing sh**ty vibrating plastic fan
    holders and drilling holes in the front and back so fans could attach
    direcly to the case via gel pads.

    unfortunately spending less money means ur more likely to get dodgy
    construction like that, i think thermaltake makes mostly pretty junkie
    and unatttractive cases. i like Lian Li or Silverstone.
    gimp, May 16, 2005
  7. Hi there,

    Southern Kiwi wrote:
    > PIII on a VIA motherboard (running 24/7 in lounge)
    > Prefer case/power supply combo.
    > Under $150

    Not sure if you can get one for under $150 in NZ, but just
    got an Antec Sonata for around that in Oz. I threw an Athlon64
    3000+ and Asus FX5700/TD 256MB in it, and it muffles the noisy
    CPU and GPU fans very well. Piano black finish means it hides
    under stuff quite well...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

    Chris Wilkinson, May 16, 2005
  8. Southern Kiwi

    phstpok Guest

    Chris Wilkinson wrote:

    > Not sure if you can get one for under $150 in NZ, but just
    > got an Antec Sonata for around that in Oz. I threw an Athlon64
    > 3000+ and Asus FX5700/TD 256MB in it, and it muffles the noisy
    > CPU and GPU fans very well. Piano black finish means it hides
    > under stuff quite well...

    Nice looking case, but 20 - 25lb, a bit on the heavy side.

    Toolless? Doesn't look it, but not a big prob. Looking for a better case
    as well. My old compaq deskpro is starting to feel it's age.

    Rob
    phstpok, May 16, 2005
  9. Southern Kiwi

    Impossible Guest

    "phstpok" <> wrote in message
    > Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >
    >> Not sure if you can get one for under $150 in NZ, but just
    >> got an Antec Sonata for around that in Oz. I threw an Athlon64
    >> 3000+ and Asus FX5700/TD 256MB in it, and it muffles the noisy
    >> CPU and GPU fans very well. Piano black finish means it hides
    >> under stuff quite well...
    >>

    > Nice looking case, but 20 - 25lb, a bit on the heavy side.

    Some would say "solid". It's steel, not aluminum.

    > Toolless? Doesn't look it, but not a big prob.

    Screw mounts for the motherboard and for the drive rails -- that's
    about it.

    Impossible, May 16, 2005
  10. Southern Kiwi

    gimp Guest

    Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    > Not sure if you can get one for under $150 in NZ, but just
    > got an Antec Sonata for around that in Oz. I threw an Athlon64
    > 3000+ and Asus FX5700/TD 256MB in it, and it muffles the noisy
    > CPU and GPU fans very well. Piano black finish means it hides
    > under stuff quite well...

    yeah i forgot to mention Antecs are also one of my fave case designers -
    i had the overture piano-black desktop and it was quiet, but ran a
    little hot for my liking.

    my next modding project is with a Silverstone Nimiz, 18 pounds of
    aluminium sexiness :)

    http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=sslc03&page=2
    gimp, May 16, 2005