    all. There seem to be lots and lots of power supplies that are rated
    as "quiet", and you can pay really big bucks for them, which I do not
    want to do, if possible.

    Stephen Worthington, Jul 24, 2006

  2. Stephen Worthington

    thingy Guest

    Stephen Worthington wrote:
    > Can someone please recommend a good quiet ATX power supply that will
    > not break the bank?
    >
    > I have a PC with a cheap PRO-V 300 W ATX power supply in it which is
    > starting to fail. The fan has gone noisy and it is not holding the PC
    > up over quite short power glitches that do not phase my other PC at
    > all. There seem to be lots and lots of power supplies that are rated
    > as "quiet", and you can pay really big bucks for them, which I do not
    > want to do, if possible.

    Raidmax seem quite good but not that quite, if you want quiet then you
    have to look at something like an enermax which is also the other brand
    I buy. The upside of the quiet Enermax is they are also about the most
    efficient, so cost you less to run....If your machine is on 8~10 hours
    every day, it is probably worth considering.

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Jul 24, 2006

  3. Stephen Worthington

    Tony Guest

    Stephen Worthington wrote:
    > Can someone please recommend a good quiet ATX power supply that will
    > not break the bank?

    This is what you need -

    http://ascent.co.nz/ProductSpecification.aspx?ItemID=122341

    I tried a few before settling on this one, it's about as quiet as you
    get without spending huge money. (barely audible).

    Tony, Jul 24, 2006
  4. Stephen Worthington

    Guest

    On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 07:48:58 +1200, Tony
    <> wrote:

    >Stephen Worthington wrote:
    >> Can someone please recommend a good quiet ATX power supply that will
    >> not break the bank?

    >This is what you need -
    >
    >http://ascent.co.nz/ProductSpecification.aspx?ItemID=122341
    >
    >I tried a few before settling on this one, it's about as quiet as you
    >get without spending huge money. (barely audible).

    A Bit Low Power for Today's Standards..

    My Enermax 485W is good..

    Has a 3 Year Warrantee, and good MTBF Specks that most do not even list..

    , Jul 24, 2006
  5. On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 10:20:24 +1200, wrote:

    >On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 07:48:58 +1200, Tony
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Stephen Worthington wrote:
    >>> Can someone please recommend a good quiet ATX power supply that will
    >>> not break the bank?

    >>This is what you need -
    >>
    >>http://ascent.co.nz/ProductSpecification.aspx?ItemID=122341
    >>
    >>I tried a few before settling on this one, it's about as quiet as you
    >>get without spending huge money. (barely audible).

    >A Bit Low Power for Today's Standards..
    >
    >My Enermax 485W is good..
    >
    >Has a 3 Year Warrantee, and good MTBF Specks that most do not even list..

    Thanks for your recommendations everyone.

    The PC is an old one that does not need too big a PSU. But high
    efficiency and a long MTBF both sound good, and it looks like I can
    get an Enermax at a significantly cheaper price than the equivalent
    Zalman. So I think I will probably go with that, even though it will
    probably be just a little noisier than a Zalman.

    The cheapest Enermax prices I can find at the moment are at:

    http://www.computerlounge.co.nz

    http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentlist.asp?parttypeid=23&t=16

    Has anyone used them before? Are they a reputable company to deal
    with?

    Stephen Worthington, Jul 26, 2006
  6. Stephen Worthington

    Brendan Guest

    On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 02:17:39 +1200, Stephen Worthington wrote:

    > http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentlist.asp?parttypeid=23&t=16
    >
    > Has anyone used them before? Are they a reputable company to deal
    > with?

    used them a couple of times, they seem ok. Not had any faulty parts out of
    them though, so can't prove it. Seem to get good reviews though.

    --

    .... Brendan

    Two Eskimos sitting in a kayak were chilly.
    They lit a fire in the craft, it sank,
    proving once and for all that you can't have your kayak and heat it.

    Note: All my comments are copyright 27/07/2006 9:50:59 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Jul 30, 2006
  7. On a pleasant day while strolling in nz.comp, a person by the name of
    Stephen Worthington exclaimed:
    > The PC is an old one that does not need too big a PSU. But high
    > efficiency and a long MTBF both sound good, and it looks like I can
    > get an Enermax at a significantly cheaper price than the equivalent
    > Zalman. So I think I will probably go with that, even though it will
    > probably be just a little noisier than a Zalman.

    I was told Enermax was quiet, but it didn't seem any different to
    average at that time.

    The Zalman unit on the other hand is genuinely quiet.

    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and

    Aaron Lawrence, Aug 7, 2006