QuickTime

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by William Matthewson, Aug 17, 2004.

  1. Is QuickTime only for Apple computers?
    William Matthewson, Aug 17, 2004

  2. William Matthewson

    Bob Guest

    "William Matthewson" <> wrote in message
    > Is QuickTime only for Apple computers?

    No. It also works on Windows. Not sure about Linux, but I'm sure an answer
    will be forthcoming shortly...
    Bob, Aug 17, 2004

  3. William Matthewson

    jon brookes Guest

    No Will most of us have a Quicktime player on our PCs

    jon brookes, Aug 17, 2004
  4. William Matthewson

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <fWpUc.473$> "jon brookes"
    <> wrote:

    >No Will most of us have a Quicktime player on our PCs

    The smarter amongst us won't actually use QuickTime, but instead,
    Quicktime-Alternative

    http://www.google.com/search?q=quicktime alternative

    --
    HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig
    DevilsPGD, Aug 17, 2004
  5. William Matthewson

    Robert Guest

    DevilsPGD wrote:

    > The smarter amongst us won't actually use QuickTime, but instead,
    > Quicktime-Alternative

    Well the install went kinda smooth in wine but in the end had some loud
    noise plus errors when finishing the install. Guess it won't work with
    Linux huh? ;o)

    Damn and I wanted to be smart! :'o(

    --
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world.
    Those that understand binary and those that don't.
    Robert, Aug 17, 2004
  6. William Matthewson

    spiceman Guest

    "DevilsPGD" <> wrote in message
    > In message <fWpUc.473$> "jon brookes"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >No Will most of us have a Quicktime player on our PCs

    > The smarter amongst us won't actually use QuickTime, but instead,
    > Quicktime-Alternative
    >
    > http://www.google.com/search?q=quicktime alternative
    >
    > --
    > HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig

    Well I'm not very smart and I use QT occasionally. Would you care to share
    with me the reasons for your preference of an alternative.

    TIA spiceman
    spiceman, Aug 17, 2004
  7. William Matthewson

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <9KsUc.4117$%%> "spiceman"
    <> wrote:

    >> The smarter amongst us won't actually use QuickTime, but instead,
    >> Quicktime-Alternative
    >>
    >> http://www.google.com/search?q=quicktime alternative
    >>

    >Well I'm not very smart and I use QT occasionally. Would you care to share
    >with me the reasons for your preference of an alternative.

    A few reasons...

    1) Reduce the number of applications installed (Reduces potential system
    complexity -- Beneficial when troubleshooting sometimes, although
    admittedly this isn't a big deal for a lot of people)

    2) You don't have to play "guess the magic buttons to turn off the
    load-on-bootup" feature (Real's line of media players are the worst,
    although QT used to be bad)

    3) You can use one media player to play anything (Media Player Classic,
    in my case), which means if I'm 15 minutes into watching something,
    there's no guessing as to which media player I'm using if I want to
    pause, back up, speed up, slow down, zoom, or whatever else.

    4) No file association wars between competing media players that think
    they're god's gift to my computer and should not only be running at all
    times but should be my logical choice to open every file on the PC.

    Admittedly these points apply much stronger to Real's garbage then
    QuickTime, although QT is a little too aggressive at file associations
    for my liking (since I don't want the player, I just want the codec)

    --
    Boom. Boom boom boom. Boom boom. BOOM. Have a nice day.
    -- Susan Ivanova, B5
    DevilsPGD, Aug 17, 2004