Quicktime video & movie maker

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Nottnick, May 19, 2006.

  1. Nottnick

    Nottnick Guest

    Ok Here's my problem.

    I'm a teacher (Nottingham UK) and have just taken a group af 11 year olds
    away for an adventure week.
    My Olympus (7070) still camera also takes great video However, it is in
    Quicktime format. I have loads of shots.

    Now, I really want to let the children have a go at making a longer movie
    from these clips (each is 20 seconds or so on average) ie. the chance to
    link short video clips and add music + transition effects + a title and
    credits.

    Winows Movie Maker would be ideal as it is free and it is already installed
    on the school computers and I know how to use it (of course we don't have
    spare money st school and I want to get started on Monday while they are
    still keen so don't have time to go through educational suppliers etc.) .

    Trouble is, it won't take quicktime and I only found out this evening.

    Does anyone have a suggestion.

    Thanks

    Nottnick, May 19, 2006

  2. Nottnick

    Peaches Guest

    "Nottnick" <> wrote in message
    > Ok Here's my problem.
    >
    > I'm a teacher (Nottingham UK) and have just taken a group af 11 year olds
    > away for an adventure week.
    > My Olympus (7070) still camera also takes great video However, it is in
    > Quicktime format. I have loads of shots.
    >
    > Now, I really want to let the children have a go at making a longer movie
    > from these clips (each is 20 seconds or so on average) ie. the chance to
    > link short video clips and add music + transition effects + a title and
    > credits.
    >
    > Winows Movie Maker would be ideal as it is free and it is already
    > installed on the school computers and I know how to use it (of course we
    > don't have spare money st school and I want to get started on Monday while
    > they are still keen so don't have time to go through educational suppliers
    > etc.) .
    >
    > Trouble is, it won't take quicktime and I only found out this evening.
    >
    > Does anyone have a suggestion.
    >
    > Thanks

    This site has all you need to know about WMM
    Use the menu on left to scroll:
    Import Movie source files/Video/MOV
    http://papajohn.org/

    Peaches, May 19, 2006

  3. Nottnick

    Peaches Guest

    "Nottnick" <> wrote in message
    > Ok Here's my problem.
    >
    > I'm a teacher (Nottingham UK) and have just taken a group af 11 year olds
    > away for an adventure week.
    > My Olympus (7070) still camera also takes great video However, it is in
    > Quicktime format. I have loads of shots.
    >
    > Now, I really want to let the children have a go at making a longer movie
    > from these clips (each is 20 seconds or so on average) ie. the chance to
    > link short video clips and add music + transition effects + a title and
    > credits.
    >
    > Winows Movie Maker would be ideal as it is free and it is already
    > installed on the school computers and I know how to use it (of course we
    > don't have spare money st school and I want to get started on Monday while
    > they are still keen so don't have time to go through educational suppliers
    > etc.) .
    >
    > Trouble is, it won't take quicktime and I only found out this evening.
    >
    > Does anyone have a suggestion.
    >
    > Thanks

    Post script:
    The author of site - papajohn, notes on the page that he has found
    with his Olympus c200 digital camera that by renaming .MOV to .avi
    WMM imported without problem, same link as above post.

    Peaches, May 19, 2006
  4. Nottnick

    beenthere Guest

    "Nottnick" <> wrote in message
    > Ok Here's my problem.
    >
    > I'm a teacher (Nottingham UK) and have just taken a group af 11 year olds
    > away for an adventure week.
    > My Olympus (7070) still camera also takes great video However, it is in
    > Quicktime format. I have loads of shots.
    >
    > Now, I really want to let the children have a go at making a longer movie
    > from these clips (each is 20 seconds or so on average) ie. the chance to
    > link short video clips and add music + transition effects + a title and
    > credits.
    >
    > Winows Movie Maker would be ideal as it is free and it is already
    > installed on the school computers and I know how to use it (of course we
    > don't have spare money st school and I want to get started on Monday while
    > they are still keen so don't have time to go through educational suppliers
    > etc.) .
    >
    > Trouble is, it won't take quicktime and I only found out this evening.
    >
    > Does anyone have a suggestion.

    Hi N. Nip over to alt.comp.freeware, and ask there.
    You could also www.google.com for `free quicktime converter`.

    beenthere, May 19, 2006
  5. Nottnick

    Nottnick Guest

    "Peaches" <> wrote in message

    > "Nottnick" <> wrote in message
    >> Ok Here's my problem.
    >>
    >> I'm a teacher (Nottingham UK) and have just taken a group af 11 year olds
    >> away for an adventure week.
    >> My Olympus (7070) still camera also takes great video However, it is in
    >> Quicktime format. I have loads of shots.
    >>
    >> Now, I really want to let the children have a go at making a longer movie
    >> from these clips (each is 20 seconds or so on average) ie. the chance to
    >> link short video clips and add music + transition effects + a title and
    >> credits.
    >>
    >> Winows Movie Maker would be ideal as it is free and it is already
    >> installed on the school computers and I know how to use it (of course we
    >> don't have spare money st school and I want to get started on Monday
    >> while they are still keen so don't have time to go through educational
    >> suppliers etc.) .
    >>
    >> Trouble is, it won't take quicktime and I only found out this evening.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have a suggestion.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>

    > This site has all you need to know about WMM
    > Use the menu on left to scroll:
    > Import Movie source files/Video/MOV
    > http://papajohn.org/

    Thanks for that. I'll check it out.

    This sounds simple I know but while I was away I was using my laptop - that
    has Movie Maker.
    However right now on my desktop, it isn't there and I can't find it in
    windows components either so can't find it to install.
    I have SP2 and all microsoft updates etc.
    Do you know where I find it?
    Thanks
    Nick

    Nottnick, May 19, 2006
  6. Nottnick

    Nottnick Guest

    Ooops - correction -

    Found it in programs!

    looking in accessories.

    (too many programs in start menu)

    Nick :)

    Nottnick, May 19, 2006
  7. Nottnick

    Peaches Guest

    "Nottnick" <> wrote in message

    > "Peaches" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Nottnick" <> wrote in message
    >>> Ok Here's my problem.
    >>>
    >>> I'm a teacher (Nottingham UK) and have just taken a group af 11 year
    >>> olds away for an adventure week.
    >>> My Olympus (7070) still camera also takes great video However, it is in
    >>> Quicktime format. I have loads of shots.
    >>>
    >>> Now, I really want to let the children have a go at making a longer
    >>> movie from these clips (each is 20 seconds or so on average) ie. the
    >>> chance to link short video clips and add music + transition effects + a
    >>> title and credits.
    >>>
    >>> Winows Movie Maker would be ideal as it is free and it is already
    >>> installed on the school computers and I know how to use it (of course we
    >>> don't have spare money st school and I want to get started on Monday
    >>> while they are still keen so don't have time to go through educational
    >>> suppliers etc.) .
    >>>
    >>> Trouble is, it won't take quicktime and I only found out this evening.
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone have a suggestion.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>

    >> This site has all you need to know about WMM
    >> Use the menu on left to scroll:
    >> Import Movie source files/Video/MOV
    >> http://papajohn.org/
    >>

    > Thanks for that. I'll check it out.
    >
    > This sounds simple I know but while I was away I was using my laptop -
    > that has Movie Maker.
    > However right now on my desktop, it isn't there and I can't find it in
    > windows components either so can't find it to install.
    > I have SP2 and all microsoft updates etc.
    > Do you know where I find it?
    > Thanks
    > Nick

    Start/Programs/Accessories/Entertainment/Windows Movie Maker

    If it's not there, download from here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/moviemaker2.mspx

    Peaches, May 19, 2006
  8. Nottnick

    Kenny Guest

    Papa John is also a regular contributor to
    Well worth a look and you can post any MM questions there.

    --
    Kenny Cargill

    "Cigarettes are killers that travel in packs."

    Kenny, May 19, 2006
  9. Nottnick

    Mitch Guest

    In article <>, Nottnick
    <> wrote:

    > Ok Here's my problem.
    >
    > I'm a teacher (Nottingham UK) and have just taken a group af 11 year olds
    > away for an adventure week.
    > My Olympus (7070) still camera also takes great video However, it is in
    > Quicktime format. I have loads of shots.
    >
    > Now, I really want to let the children have a go at making a longer movie
    > from these clips (each is 20 seconds or so on average) ie. the chance to
    > link short video clips and add music + transition effects + a title and
    > credits.
    >
    > Winows Movie Maker would be ideal as it is free and it is already installed
    > on the school computers and I know how to use it (of course we don't have
    > spare money st school and I want to get started on Monday while they are
    > still keen so don't have time to go through educational suppliers etc.) .
    >
    > Trouble is, it won't take quicktime and I only found out this evening.
    >
    > Does anyone have a suggestion.
    >
    > Thanks

    Yes -- install QuickTime.

    It's just a codec for reading that kind of file -- get it from
    http://quicktime.apple.com

    Mitch, May 20, 2006
  10. Nottnick

    clot Guest

    Nottnick wrote:
    > Ok Here's my problem.
    >
    > I'm a teacher (Nottingham UK) and have just taken a group af 11 year
    > olds away for an adventure week.
    > My Olympus (7070) still camera also takes great video However, it is
    > in Quicktime format. I have loads of shots.
    >
    > Now, I really want to let the children have a go at making a longer
    > movie from these clips (each is 20 seconds or so on average) ie. the
    > chance to link short video clips and add music + transition effects +
    > a title and credits.
    >
    > Winows Movie Maker would be ideal as it is free and it is already
    > installed on the school computers and I know how to use it (of course
    > we don't have spare money st school and I want to get started on
    > Monday while they are still keen so don't have time to go through
    > educational suppliers etc.) .
    > Trouble is, it won't take quicktime and I only found out this evening.
    >
    > Does anyone have a suggestion.

    What great help you've had. I hope it works for the kids (and you).

    clot, May 20, 2006
  11. Nottnick

    Frosty Guest

    Re: Ooops - correction -

    On or about Fri, 19 May 2006 19:37:22 +0100, an entity identified as
    "Nottnick" <> proudly proclaimed:

    >Found it in programs!
    >
    >looking in accessories.
    >
    >(too many programs in start menu)
    >
    >Nick :)

    Whew!

    SilverMan
    --

    Real debate; No bullshit.

    & http://halebobb.com

    Frosty, May 20, 2006
  12. Nottnick

    Billy B. Guest

    "Mitch" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, Nottnick
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Ok Here's my problem.
    >>
    >> I'm a teacher (Nottingham UK) and have just taken a group af 11 year olds
    >> away for an adventure week.
    >> My Olympus (7070) still camera also takes great video However, it is in
    >> Quicktime format. I have loads of shots.
    >>
    >> Now, I really want to let the children have a go at making a longer movie
    >> from these clips (each is 20 seconds or so on average) ie. the chance to
    >> link short video clips and add music + transition effects + a title and
    >> credits.
    >>
    >> Winows Movie Maker would be ideal as it is free and it is already
    >> installed
    >> on the school computers and I know how to use it (of course we don't have
    >> spare money st school and I want to get started on Monday while they are
    >> still keen so don't have time to go through educational suppliers etc.) .
    >>
    >> Trouble is, it won't take quicktime and I only found out this evening.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have a suggestion.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>

    > Yes -- install QuickTime.

    OK Mitch, do tell how downloading Quicktime (which will have
    come with the Olympus camera) but do tell how that will solve
    the problem of Windows Movie Maker not being able to use
    ..MOV files? As it's a licensing issue, nothing - no plug-in, no
    filter, no decoder, can change that.
    So the original poster wants to use windows movie maker to
    edit his .MOV files, and he has been given execellent guidence
    on how to convert the files to a compatible file type.
    So what use will downloading Quicktime be?

    Billy B., May 20, 2006
  13. Nottnick

    Nottnick Guest

    "clot" <> wrote in message
    > Nottnick wrote:
    >> Ok Here's my problem.
    >>
    >> I'm a teacher (Nottingham UK) and have just taken a group af 11 year
    >> olds away for an adventure week.
    >> My Olympus (7070) still camera also takes great video However, it is
    >> in Quicktime format. I have loads of shots.
    >>
    >> Now, I really want to let the children have a go at making a longer
    >> movie from these clips (each is 20 seconds or so on average) ie. the
    >> chance to link short video clips and add music + transition effects +
    >> a title and credits.
    >>
    >> Winows Movie Maker would be ideal as it is free and it is already
    >> installed on the school computers and I know how to use it (of course
    >> we don't have spare money st school and I want to get started on
    >> Monday while they are still keen so don't have time to go through
    >> educational suppliers etc.) .
    >> Trouble is, it won't take quicktime and I only found out this evening.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have a suggestion.

    > What great help you've had. I hope it works for the kids (and you).

    Yes
    Thanks everyone - I'll get it sorted this weekend.
    Will post next week with update on children's work (if they are good, I
    might even upload one to school web).
    Nick

    Nottnick, May 20, 2006
  14. Nottnick

    Mitch Guest

    In article <>, Billy B.
    <> wrote:

    > OK Mitch, do tell how downloading Quicktime (which will have
    > come with the Olympus camera) but do tell how that will solve
    > the problem of Windows Movie Maker not being able to use
    > .MOV files? As it's a licensing issue, nothing - no plug-in, no
    > filter, no decoder, can change that.
    > So the original poster wants to use windows movie maker to
    > edit his .MOV files, and he has been given execellent guidence
    > on how to convert the files to a compatible file type.
    > So what use will downloading Quicktime be?

    I interpreted the problem as one of not being able to decompress the
    movies -- which would be solved by installing the codec.
    I didn't take it as a licensing issue; maybe it is, and maybe I was
    wrong to figure it was about being able to open the file properly.

    Nevertheless, it isn't a bad idea, and certainly isn't harmful or
    foolish (as you seem to be implying) to install the codec for the kind
    of file you are trying to read.
    Sure, the codec was probably available in the software that came with
    the camera, but it is evident that people don't always install such
    things. Maybe they don't read instructions, maybe they never look
    around, maybe they don't realize they have to do that step themselves
    -- it's worth mentioning just for those reasons.

    Mitch, May 21, 2006