    another application.

    TIA,
    Michael

    Michael, Oct 7, 2008

  2. Michael

    Carlos Guest

    Michael:
    Check event viewer and see what clues you can find there from the moment you
    click on the Quicktime Player until it starts.
    I agree that Quicktime Alternative by itself is not an option if you need
    the player but, if you install Media Player Classic + Quicktime Alternative
    combo and make it the default player for Quicktime files that might be a
    workaround.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Oct 8, 2008

  3. Michael

    Michael Guest

    Thanks for answering.
    I can't find a clue there what is braking QT.
    Quicktime Alternative doesn't want to install unless I uninstall QT itself.
    But a 3D gfx app I use (Cinema4D) relies on a complete QT installation to
    support several image and animation formats, so I need QT installed.

    Michael

    Michael, Oct 8, 2008
  4. Michael

    Carlos Guest

    Michael,
    What about memory usage when you launch QT?
    Do you have enough free memory or is your Vista x64 swapping code to the HD
    before running QT?
    Do you notice heavy disk usage during the wait time?
    Has QT any option for checking updates on the Internet every time it is
    launched?
    Carlos

    Carlos, Oct 8, 2008
  5. Michael

    Michael Guest

    The PC has 4GB and Taskmanager says that more than 1GB are unused when
    starting QT.
    I don't notice increased HD activity, CPU usage is at 25% at the most (so I
    assume QT only uses 1 core). Some moments during startup CPU usage goes down
    lower than 5% for a few seconds.
    I disabled checking for updates with no faster startup time.
    Thanks for your time,

    Michael, Oct 8, 2008
  6. Michael

    Carlos Guest

    Michael,
    A shot in the dark.
    I use Media Player Classic as my main player.
    Sometimes, when starting it, it pauses for... 5 seconds.
    Somehow it is accessing the NAS disk (hard disk connected to the router) and
    until I hear a click coming from the drive it just sits there.
    Five seconds is not that much so I can live with it.
    Will something similar be happening to you?
    Carlos

    Carlos, Oct 9, 2008
  7. Michael

    Michael Guest

    There is no NAS drive in this system but yes, there could be something QT is
    waiting for that makes the delay in the start. That would explain the
    repeated pausing. I should find out now what it could be.

    Michael, Oct 9, 2008
  8. Michael

    Michael Guest

    Still no success. Killed all processes and as muh as I could.
    I guess I will have to go back to XP x64.

    Michael, Oct 15, 2008