QuickTime is pissing me off

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Gib Bogle, Dec 27, 2003.

  1. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    For about the third time, I have installed QT 6.3. I recently installed
    all the patches for W2000 Pro, and I thought that might help. No.
    During the installation, and every time QT is invoked, I get this pop-up
    message:
    "QuickTime Streaming Extras failed to load because the versions of
    QuickTime Streaming and QuickTime Streaming Extras do not match"

    This is irritating, but worse is the sound quality I get with a .mov
    file. There are frequent hiccups which make listening unpleasant. This
    is on a P4 1.8. This isn't enough horesepower for QT?

    Gib
    Gib Bogle, Dec 27, 2003
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Gib Bogle

    alan Guest

    "Gib Bogle" <> wrote in message
    news:bskmek$f9e$...
    | For about the third time, I have installed QT 6.3. I recently
    installed
    | all the patches for W2000 Pro, and I thought that might help.
    No.
    | During the installation, and every time QT is invoked, I get
    this pop-up
    | message:
    | "QuickTime Streaming Extras failed to load because the versions
    of
    | QuickTime Streaming and QuickTime Streaming Extras do not match"
    |
    Gib,

    QT is now at V6.4 - could be the latest release will solve your
    problem?

    Alan
    alan, Dec 27, 2003
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Gib Bogle

    PseUDO Guest

    "alan" <> wrote in message
    news:bskq9o$jok$...
    > "Gib Bogle" <> wrote in message
    > news:bskmek$f9e$...
    > | For about the third time, I have installed QT 6.3. I recently
    > installed
    > | all the patches for W2000 Pro, and I thought that might help.
    > No.
    > | During the installation, and every time QT is invoked, I get
    > this pop-up
    > | message:
    > | "QuickTime Streaming Extras failed to load because the versions
    > of
    > | QuickTime Streaming and QuickTime Streaming Extras do not match"
    > |
    > Gib,
    >
    > QT is now at V6.4 - could be the latest release will solve your
    > problem?
    >
    > Alan
    >
    >

    Your a couple of weeks behind, it's now at version 6.5 !

    PseUDO
    PseUDO, Dec 27, 2003
    #3
  4. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    alan wrote:

    > "Gib Bogle" <> wrote in message
    > news:bskmek$f9e$...
    > | For about the third time, I have installed QT 6.3. I recently
    > installed
    > | all the patches for W2000 Pro, and I thought that might help.
    > No.
    > | During the installation, and every time QT is invoked, I get
    > this pop-up
    > | message:
    > | "QuickTime Streaming Extras failed to load because the versions
    > of
    > | QuickTime Streaming and QuickTime Streaming Extras do not match"
    > |
    > Gib,
    >
    > QT is now at V6.4 - could be the latest release will solve your
    > problem?


    I just installed the latest release, which is 6.5. The pop-up error
    messages are still there, and I still get hiccups.

    Gib
    Gib Bogle, Dec 27, 2003
    #4
  5. Gib Bogle

    Paul Gunson Guest

    Gib Bogle wrote:
    > I just installed the latest release, which is 6.5. The pop-up error
    > messages are still there, and I still get hiccups.


    when you say you've installed 3 times - did u uninstall earlier
    version(s) beforehand...? i would uninstall completely, hunt down any QT
    files, ethnically clense them, open the registry and kill any QT entries
    (although b careful on that one there could be application specific
    entries for QT outside of the program itself) then install 6.5 fresh....
    good luck ;)
    Paul Gunson, Dec 27, 2003
    #5
  6. Gib Bogle

    Lebowski Guest

    "Gib Bogle" <> wrote in message
    news:bskr7g$iag$...
    > alan wrote:
    >
    > > "Gib Bogle" <> wrote in message
    > > news:bskmek$f9e$...
    > > | For about the third time, I have installed QT 6.3. I recently
    > > installed
    > > | all the patches for W2000 Pro, and I thought that might help.
    > > No.
    > > | During the installation, and every time QT is invoked, I get
    > > this pop-up
    > > | message:
    > > | "QuickTime Streaming Extras failed to load because the versions
    > > of
    > > | QuickTime Streaming and QuickTime Streaming Extras do not match"
    > > |
    > > Gib,
    > >
    > > QT is now at V6.4 - could be the latest release will solve your
    > > problem?

    >
    > I just installed the latest release, which is 6.5. The pop-up error
    > messages are still there, and I still get hiccups.
    >
    > Gib
    >


    Quick Time sucks. Simple solution - boycott mov files !!
    Lebowski, Dec 27, 2003
    #6
  7. Gib Bogle

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    In article <3fee1171$>,
    "Lebowski" <> wrote:

    > Quick Time sucks. Simple solution - boycott mov files !!


    It couldn't possibly be anything to do with Microsoft trying to break
    it, could it?

    -- Bruce
    Bruce Hoult, Dec 27, 2003
    #7
  8. > During the installation, and every time QT is invoked, I get this pop-up
    > message:
    > "QuickTime Streaming Extras failed to load because the versions of
    > QuickTime Streaming and QuickTime Streaming Extras do not match"


    The error message tells you it is a Quicktime problem. Uninstall all
    versions of Quicktime, using 'Add/remove programs' if the Quictime
    uninstaller is missing. Do a search for stuff left behind, directories,
    files and registry entries, then re-install.

    Quictime versions 4 and 5 accepted the same registration code, so there
    could be issues of conflict right there. Versions 4, 5 and 6 look and work
    VERY similar also, again, an opportunity for conflicts in the small details.

    Henry
    Henry Falkner, Dec 28, 2003
    #8
  9. Gib Bogle

    samg Guest

    "Lebowski" <> wrote in news:3fee1171$1
    @news.orcon.net.nz:

    >


    eh quicktime rules, and it sounds liked hes muffed his install somewhere
    along the way. Most likely installed a new version over a previous install
    samg, Dec 28, 2003
    #9
  10. Gib Bogle

    Lebowski Guest

    "samg" <> wrote in message
    news:Xns945FC7EC9EE74samg@203.97.37.6...
    > "Lebowski" <> wrote in news:3fee1171$1
    > @news.orcon.net.nz:
    >
    > >

    >
    > eh quicktime rules, and it sounds liked hes muffed his install somewhere
    > along the way. Most likely installed a new version over a previous

    install

    Quick Time is a cumbersome program with it's clunky interface and you can't
    even make movies run full screen. Even the humble Winamp kicks its ass in
    terms of what it can do.

    And no, I'm not a fan of Windows Media Player either, not sucking BG's dick
    or anything, each media-playing program should be judged on its own merits
    after all, regardless of platform.
    Lebowski, Dec 28, 2003
    #10
  11. In <3fee8f13$> Lebowski wrote:
    >
    > Quick Time is a cumbersome program with it's clunky interface and you
    > can't even make movies run full screen. Even the humble Winamp kicks
    > its ass in terms of what it can do.
    >
    > And no, I'm not a fan of Windows Media Player either, not sucking BG's
    > dick or anything, each media-playing program should be judged on its
    > own merits after all, regardless of platform.


    QuickTime Player is quite capable of playing movies full-screen, it's
    just that starting with QT3 Apple decided they needed to remove some
    features to justify charging for the 'Pro' version i.e. full-screen
    playback and exporting for QT Player, and saving web movies for the QT
    browser plug-in. All of these features are there in QT anyway, you just
    need an application that can use those functions, either by paying Apple
    or getting a third-party replacement.

    --
    Roger Johnstone, Invercargill, New Zealand

    PS/2 Mouse Adapter for vintage Apple II or Mac
    order at http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz
    Roger Johnstone, Dec 28, 2003
    #11
  12. Gib Bogle

    Lebowski Guest

    "Roger Johnstone" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > In <3fee8f13$> Lebowski wrote:

    <snip>
    > QuickTime Player is quite capable of playing movies full-screen, it's
    > just that starting with QT3 Apple decided they needed to remove some
    > features to justify charging for the 'Pro' version


    ....so it's in the "Pro" version? Typical money-grubbing capitalists
    (*sigh*)..
    Lebowski, Dec 28, 2003
    #12
  13. Gib Bogle

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    In article <3fee8f13$>,
    "Lebowski" <> wrote:

    > "samg" <> wrote in message
    > news:Xns945FC7EC9EE74samg@203.97.37.6...
    > > "Lebowski" <> wrote in news:3fee1171$1
    > > @news.orcon.net.nz:
    > >
    > > >

    > >
    > > eh quicktime rules, and it sounds liked hes muffed his install somewhere
    > > along the way. Most likely installed a new version over a previous

    > install
    >
    > Quick Time is a cumbersome program with it's clunky interface and you can't
    > even make movies run full screen. Even the humble Winamp kicks its ass in
    > terms of what it can do.


    You appear to be confusing "QuickTime" with a particular utility program
    called "Movie Player" or "QuickTime Player".

    It takes about ten lines of code to write your own version that does
    play full screen. Or, you can just use an old version of Movie Player
    from before when Apple decided to charge US$30 for a QuickTime Pro key
    -- they work just fine because the API to play a movie hasn't changed in
    15 years.

    -- Bruce
    Bruce Hoult, Dec 28, 2003
    #13
  14. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Paul Gunson wrote:

    > Gib Bogle wrote:
    >
    >> I just installed the latest release, which is 6.5. The pop-up error
    >> messages are still there, and I still get hiccups.

    >
    >
    > when you say you've installed 3 times - did u uninstall earlier
    > version(s) beforehand...? i would uninstall completely, hunt down any QT
    > files, ethnically clense them, open the registry and kill any QT entries
    > (although b careful on that one there could be application specific
    > entries for QT outside of the program itself) then install 6.5 fresh....
    > good luck ;)


    I uninstalled completely each time (do I look stupid?) but I didn't
    delve into the registry. No doubt the answer is to be found somewhere
    in that morass.

    Gib
    Gib Bogle, Dec 28, 2003
    #14
  15. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Henry Falkner wrote:

    >>During the installation, and every time QT is invoked, I get this pop-up
    >>message:
    >>"QuickTime Streaming Extras failed to load because the versions of
    >>QuickTime Streaming and QuickTime Streaming Extras do not match"

    >
    >
    > The error message tells you it is a Quicktime problem. Uninstall all
    > versions of Quicktime, using 'Add/remove programs' if the Quictime
    > uninstaller is missing. Do a search for stuff left behind, directories,
    > files and registry entries, then re-install.
    >
    > Quictime versions 4 and 5 accepted the same registration code, so there
    > could be issues of conflict right there. Versions 4, 5 and 6 look and work
    > VERY similar also, again, an opportunity for conflicts in the small details.


    I deleted vast numbers of Quicktime references from the registry, and
    reinstalled. No more pop-up error messages, cleaner audio. Onwards and
    upwards!

    Gib
    Gib Bogle, Dec 28, 2003
    #15
  16. In article <>,
    Bruce Hoult <> wrote:

    >-- they work just fine because the API to play a movie hasn't changed in
    >15 years.


    Actually, QuickTime 1.0 came out in about November 1991.
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Dec 29, 2003
    #16
  17. Gib Bogle

    DUser Guest

    On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 21:13:29 +1300, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Bruce Hoult <> wrote:
    >
    >>-- they work just fine because the API to play a movie hasn't changed in
    >>15 years.

    >
    > Actually, QuickTime 1.0 came out in about November 1991.


    I remember seeing Quicktime used for public information displays at the
    Montreux Jazz Festival long before that.
    DUser, Dec 29, 2003
    #17
  18. In article <>, DUser <>
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 21:13:29 +1300, Lawrence D1Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>,
    >> Bruce Hoult <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>-- they work just fine because the API to play a movie hasn't changed in
    >>>15 years.

    >>
    >> Actually, QuickTime 1.0 came out in about November 1991.

    >
    >I remember seeing Quicktime used for public information displays at the
    >Montreux Jazz Festival long before that.


    Not likely. I don't think it was in beta (or alpha) for that long.
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Dec 29, 2003
    #18
  19. Gib Bogle

    DUser Guest

    On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 23:42:19 +1300, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:

    > In article <>, DUser <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 21:13:29 +1300, Lawrence D1Oliveiro wrote:
    >>
    >>> In article <>,
    >>> Bruce Hoult <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>-- they work just fine because the API to play a movie hasn't changed in
    >>>>15 years.
    >>>
    >>> Actually, QuickTime 1.0 came out in about November 1991.

    >>
    >>I remember seeing Quicktime used for public information displays at the
    >>Montreux Jazz Festival long before that.

    >
    > Not likely. I don't think it was in beta (or alpha) for that long.


    It was in a hypercard directory system in the casino produced as a
    showcase by Apple themselves.
    It would have been July 91
    DUser, Dec 29, 2003
    #19
  20. In article <>, DUser <>
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 23:42:19 +1300, Lawrence D1Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>, DUser <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 21:13:29 +1300, Lawrence D1Oliveiro wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> In article <>,
    >>>> Bruce Hoult <> wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>>-- they work just fine because the API to play a movie hasn't changed in
    >>>>>15 years.
    >>>>
    >>>> Actually, QuickTime 1.0 came out in about November 1991.
    >>>
    >>>I remember seeing Quicktime used for public information displays at the
    >>>Montreux Jazz Festival long before that.

    >>
    >> Not likely. I don't think it was in beta (or alpha) for that long.

    >
    >It was in a hypercard directory system in the casino produced as a
    >showcase by Apple themselves.
    >It would have been July 91


    OK, given that was only a few months before the official release, it
    could have been a beta version.
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Dec 30, 2003
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. peter
    Replies:
    46
    Views:
    1,569
    peter
    Sep 21, 2005
  2. Mark Herring

    a list of organizations that are pissing me off

    Mark Herring, Jan 29, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    347
    John Kerry
    Jan 29, 2004
  3. Home Theatre Guy

    100% Cpu usage IS PISSING ME OFF :(

    Home Theatre Guy, Jul 23, 2006, in forum: Firefox
    Replies:
    21
    Views:
    7,124
    Home Theatre Guy
    Jul 31, 2006
  4. mervlucid303@h__mail.com

    Firefox is majorly pissing me off

    mervlucid303@h__mail.com, Aug 3, 2007, in forum: Firefox
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    557
    elaich
    Aug 8, 2007
  5. Dave Doe

    VISTA - PISSING ME OFF ALREADY...

    Dave Doe, Dec 1, 2006, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    208
    Views:
    2,676
    Shane
    Dec 10, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page