    Is there anyway I can install Quicktime on my computer running Windows
    Professional XP 64. I have tried various methodist and it always says that
    it was not installed properly and is unusable.
    Max, May 23, 2008

  2. Max

    Carlos Guest

    Max,
    This is what worked for me in Windows XP x64 and still works in Vista x64.
    Install "Quicktime Alternative" from
    http://www.free-codecs.com/download/QuickTime_Alternative.htm
    This is not an Apple release but rather a freeware decoder.
    After installing it on you will be able to view your *.mov videos by simply
    dragging them on top of the WMP icon in the quicklaunch bar.
    WMP may complain during the first startup about the filetype, click Ok, it
    will acquire the codec (decoder in this case) and play your video file.

    Carlos

    Carlos, May 23, 2008

  3. Max

    Jim Guest

    On May 23, 11:05 am, Max <> wrote:
    > Is there anyway I can install Quicktime on my computer running Windows
    > Professional XP 64.  I have tried various methodist and it always says that
    > it was not installed properly and is unusable.

    Max,

    Apple is *not* going to fix Quicktime for x64. It does work fine in
    Vista 64-bit. That was one of the reasons I upgraded.

    Jim
    Jim, May 24, 2008
  4. Max

    Ron Guest

    Jim I can use Quicktime on Vista 64 bit but Quicktime does not show any
    menus, such as volume control, pause button, stop button etc. It doesnt
    matter if I resize my window....the bottom menu bar just isnt there.

    Cheers

    Ron

    Ron, May 24, 2008
  5. "Ron" <> wrote in message
    > Jim I can use Quicktime on Vista 64 bit but Quicktime does not show any
    > menus, such as volume control, pause button, stop button etc. It doesnt
    > matter if I resize my window....the bottom menu bar just isnt there.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Ron
    > Jim

    I am having the same problem, using Vista 64 and the latest Quicktime. I get
    the little red x boxes and a dash after them. If I hover the mouse over
    them, I get a little pop-up that at least tells me what the "button" is for,
    and can click on it and get what I want. Inconvenient, but workable.
    Kathy
    Kathy T in MI, May 24, 2008
  6. Max

    Max Guest

    "Carlos" wrote:

    > Max,
    > This is what worked for me in Windows XP x64 and still works in Vista x64.
    > Install "Quicktime Alternative" from
    > http://www.free-codecs.com/download/QuickTime_Alternative.htm
    > This is not an Apple release but rather a freeware decoder.
    > After installing it on you will be able to view your *.mov videos by simply
    > dragging them on top of the WMP icon in the quicklaunch bar.
    > WMP may complain during the first startup about the filetype, click Ok, it
    > will acquire the codec (decoder in this case) and play your video file.
    >
    > Carlos
    >
    > "Max" wrote:
    >
    > > Is there anyway I can install Quicktime on my computer running Windows
    > > Professional XP 64. I have tried various methodist and it always says that
    > > it was not installed properly and is unusable.

    Thanks, Carlos,

    I need Quicktime for use with Adobe Premiere and Sorenson Squeeze. I doubt
    if these will work even if I upgrade to Vista 64. Do you know about that?

    Thanks,

    Max
    Max, May 27, 2008
  7. Max

    Carlos Guest

    Max,
    That's a question for Adobe (www.adobe.com) and Sorenson
    (http://www.sorensonmedia.com/)
    I was curious enough to check Sorenson and there is absolutely no indication
    as to what Windows versions are supported.
    They only mention "Windows".
    Sorry that I can't help you this time.
    Carlos

    Carlos, May 27, 2008
  8. Max

    Jim Guest

    On May 27, 12:14 pm, Max <> wrote:

    > > > Is there anyway I can install Quicktime on my computer running Windows
    > > > Professional XP 64.  I have tried various methodist and it always says that
    > > > it was not installed properly and is unusable.

    QuickTime 64-bit will *not* install correctly on x64, but it *will*
    install on Vista 64-bit. Whether it works with Adobe Premiere I do
    not know. I do know that Adobe does *not* guarantee 64-bit
    compatibility for their products. They *will* guarantee it for the
    next upgrade, however.

    Jim
    Jim, Jun 1, 2008
  9. Max

    GeneralCody Guest

    The only workaround I've found to this Quicktime on Vista 64 is to run
    the selected applications in compatibility mode with XPsp2 as the only
    choice in the compatibility preferences. Lynda.com videos, Digital
    Tutors and various others use QT to distribute their media. I actually
    run the Firefox in XP SP2 executable in compatibility mode, to get the
    controls for playing, pausing, rewinding etc.

    Also I've set the actual Quicktime executable to also run in this mode.
    You can't use Vista's extended UI feature ( Aero theme ) while the apps
    are running, but thats no problem for me as I use a classic UI.
    Vista will pop in and out of Aero as you launch in comp. mode, if you
    insist on using it. Vista classic works fine but steals real estate and
    looks bad....

    --
    GeneralCody
    GeneralCody's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/generalcody.htm

    http://forums.techarena.in
    GeneralCody, Feb 5, 2009
  10. Max

    tingusa Guest

    tingusa, Nov 14, 2009
  11. tingusa <> wrote:

    > I have installed Quicktime and I am editing with Vegas 9 (Quicktime
    > dependent) without any problems in Windows XP Professional 64 with the
    > latest service packs. Quicktime alternative did not work.

    I'm coming in late on this thread, but I just setup a XP 64 box and the
    Quicktime install was not a problem, but ITunes is a PITA. Fortunately
    there are a few websites out there with instructions... basically you
    have to break it open with 7zip and then modify the installers a bit
    using Orca. Optional is to install a few freely available drivers.
    Jeff Haferman, Nov 16, 2009
  12. Hi,
    on the downloadsite for ITUNES at apple
    you find anywhere down the instructions a link for
    ITunes for Windows 2000

    TAKE THAT.

    jk
    Juergen Kluth, Nov 18, 2009