Quicktime Alternative not working :(

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Muse Groops, Jun 21, 2007.

  1. Muse Groops

    Muse Groops Guest

    Muse Groops, Jun 21, 2007

  2. Muse Groops

    Mike Easter Guest

    Muse Groops wrote:
    > There's this page I found from a blog about some twins (link below)
    > with a QT video that's supposed to play.

    The video wants to play in a popup window.

    The page is css with javascript running a QT in a popup

    > I have QT Alt. installed and the documentation says that it should
    > play embedded video in Mozilla, Opera, IE, etc... but it's only
    > playing in IE7 for me. Any idea as to what to do?

    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object/article?f=/c/a/2007/06/16/TWINS.TMP&o=0

    Some/many browsers are configured to block popups and/or scripts.

    The actual clip is at
    http://cdn.sfgate.com/gate/av/movies/2007/06/16/pk_redwithoutblueclips.mp4

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jun 21, 2007

  3. Muse Groops

    Muse Groops Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > Muse Groops wrote:
    >> There's this page I found from a blog about some twins (link below)
    >> with a QT video that's supposed to play.

    > The video wants to play in a popup window.
    >
    > The page is css with javascript running a QT in a popup
    >
    >> I have QT Alt. installed and the documentation says that it should
    >> play embedded video in Mozilla, Opera, IE, etc... but it's only
    >> playing in IE7 for me. Any idea as to what to do?

    > http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object/article?f=/c/a/2007/06/16/TWINS.TMP&o=0
    >
    > Some/many browsers are configured to block popups and/or scripts.
    >
    > The actual clip is at
    > http://cdn.sfgate.com/gate/av/movies/2007/06/16/pk_redwithoutblueclips.mp4

    I have the pop-up blocker off in all browsers.

    I still don't understand why the link (the 1st) won't play the embedded
    clip in K-Meleon, or Opera or FF, while the same link will play in IE7
    with no problem.
    Muse Groops, Jun 21, 2007
  4. Muse Groops

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mike Easter, Jun 21, 2007
  5. Muse Groops

    Muse Groops Guest

    Muse Groops, Jun 21, 2007
  6. Muse Groops

    Mike Easter Guest

    Muse Groops wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:

    >> You didn't say what happens if you click my link.
    >>

    > true...
    >
    > To answer your question, VLC opens it up.

    Actually you were supposed to confirm that you can open the file with my
    URL with VLC regardless of which browser you use. That was the point I
    was trying to make.

    > But I still want embedded QT files to play :/

    To address your original issue; web pages do all kinds of things with
    their pages, some compliant and some not compliant. In fact,
    historically, most webpages have been non-compliant rather than
    compliant.

    Then, the next part of the problem comes along with how shall the
    compliance vs noncompliance problem be solved or dealt with? Once upon
    a time, IE was the absolute dominant browser, and also IE was the most
    non-compliant or error accommodating browser in the field.

    Also, there has been a general tendency for those who can't write pages
    which are compliant to just try to make their pages compliant with IE.

    So, when you have a combination of factors, this browser handling this
    particular page to eventually discover it has to run this particular
    non-standard proprietary application's files and you are trying to
    figure out why it won't run, you have to isolate the problem to whether
    it is because the browser isn't handling the page's compliance and
    mechanisms or whether the application can't get its hands on the file.

    In this case, presuming that you are saying that any browser will open
    the file with the desired VLC app, then the problem isn't the browser,
    the file, or the app, but instead the problem is in how the various
    browsers handle that particular page.

    It would lead me to suspect that the page was not written/constructed
    optimally. Maybe you should feed the page's URL to a compliance tester.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jun 21, 2007
  7. Muse Groops

    Muse Groops Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > Muse Groops wrote:
    >> Mike Easter wrote:

    >>> You didn't say what happens if you click my link.
    >>>

    >> true...
    >>
    >> To answer your question, VLC opens it up.

    > Actually you were supposed to confirm that you can open the file with my
    > URL with VLC regardless of which browser you use. That was the point I
    > was trying to make.
    >
    >> But I still want embedded QT files to play :/

    > To address your original issue; web pages do all kinds of things with
    > their pages, some compliant and some not compliant. In fact,
    > historically, most webpages have been non-compliant rather than
    > compliant.
    >
    > Then, the next part of the problem comes along with how shall the
    > compliance vs noncompliance problem be solved or dealt with? Once upon
    > a time, IE was the absolute dominant browser, and also IE was the most
    > non-compliant or error accommodating browser in the field.
    >
    > Also, there has been a general tendency for those who can't write pages
    > which are compliant to just try to make their pages compliant with IE.
    >
    > So, when you have a combination of factors, this browser handling this
    > particular page to eventually discover it has to run this particular
    > non-standard proprietary application's files and you are trying to
    > figure out why it won't run, you have to isolate the problem to whether
    > it is because the browser isn't handling the page's compliance and
    > mechanisms or whether the application can't get its hands on the file.
    >
    > In this case, presuming that you are saying that any browser will open
    > the file with the desired VLC app, then the problem isn't the browser,
    > the file, or the app, but instead the problem is in how the various
    > browsers handle that particular page.
    >
    > It would lead me to suspect that the page was not written/constructed
    > optimally. Maybe you should feed the page's URL to a compliance tester.

    interesting...

    after some study I *think* (not sure) the problem is "the browser isn't
    handling the page's compliance and
    mechanisms"

    also, where might I find a compliance tester?

    and btw, your reply has been most informative, Thank You
    Muse Groops, Jun 21, 2007