Quicktime 7 only works on W2k and XP

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by steve, Dec 6, 2005.

  1. steve

    steve Guest

    Did a fresh Win98SE install on a friend's system - PIII-440MHz with 128MB of
    RAM.

    Best fit.

    Went to download the latest version of Apple Quicktime (7.0) and found v7
    ONLY supports Win2K and XP.....and that all the new movie trailers only
    support Quicktime 7.

    So I hunted around and managed to find Quicktime 6.5.1 in the Support area
    of the Apple site.....and installed that instead....but it only plays the
    less recent trailers and other stuff.

    I also installed Real Player 10 and Windows Media 9.....which both support
    Win98SE.

    These people have a perfectly good computer that operates at a perfectly
    viable speed for almost everything. They have no plans to buy a new system,
    wanting mainly e-mail and web browsing.

    The current Windows OSes are poorly suited to systems like this. They were
    also interested to see Knoppix/Linux up and running very well on the same
    system.....and saw it as their upgrade path.

    steve, Dec 6, 2005

  2. steve

    daemon9 Guest

    On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 16:11:51 +1300, steve wrote:

    > The current Windows OSes are poorly suited to systems like this. They were
    > also interested to see Knoppix/Linux up and running very well on the same
    > system.....and saw it as their upgrade path.

    What about Mac?

    -R

    daemon9, Dec 6, 2005

  3. steve

    David Guest

    daemon9 wrote:
    > On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 16:11:51 +1300, steve wrote:
    >

    >>The current Windows OSes are poorly suited to systems like this. They were
    >>also interested to see Knoppix/Linux up and running very well on the same
    >>system.....and saw it as their upgrade path.

    > What about Mac?
    >
    > -R

    "These people have a perfectly good computer that operates at a perfectly
    viable speed for almost everything. They have no plans to buy a new system,
    wanting mainly e-mail and web browsing. "

    AFAIK, no version of Mac OS currently available can be installed on a
    PC, and it is unlikely that this will change soon.

    David, Dec 6, 2005
  4. steve

    GraB Guest

    wrote:

    >Did a fresh Win98SE install on a friend's system - PIII-440MHz with 128MB of
    >RAM.
    >
    >Best fit.
    >
    >Went to download the latest version of Apple Quicktime (7.0) and found v7
    >ONLY supports Win2K and XP.....and that all the new movie trailers only
    >support Quicktime 7.
    >
    >So I hunted around and managed to find Quicktime 6.5.1 in the Support area
    >of the Apple site.....and installed that instead....but it only plays the
    >less recent trailers and other stuff.
    >
    >I also installed Real Player 10 and Windows Media 9.....which both support
    >Win98SE.
    >
    >These people have a perfectly good computer that operates at a perfectly
    >viable speed for almost everything. They have no plans to buy a new system,
    >wanting mainly e-mail and web browsing.
    >
    >The current Windows OSes are poorly suited to systems like this. They were
    >also interested to see Knoppix/Linux up and running very well on the same
    >system.....and saw it as their upgrade path.

    That is typical Apple. It seems strange to me that Apple are playing
    into the hands of their natural enemy by forcing people to 'upgrade'
    the XP. I found the same thing with iPod software. It won't install
    on Win98SE.

    Have you tried Quicktime Alternative which comes with Media Player
    Classic and also Real Alternative?

    GraB, Dec 6, 2005
  5. steve

    Gordon Guest

    On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 17:23:52 +1300, GraB wrote:

    > That is typical Apple. It seems strange to me that Apple are playing
    > into the hands of their natural enemy by forcing people to 'upgrade'
    > the XP. I found the same thing with iPod software. It won't install
    > on Win98SE.

    Remember that Apple got into bed with MS.

    Gordon, Dec 6, 2005
  6. steve

    XP Guest

    On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 16:11:51 +1300, steve <> wrote:

    >Did a fresh Win98SE install on a friend's system - PIII-440MHz with 128MB of
    >RAM.
    >
    >Best fit.
    >
    >Went to download the latest version of Apple Quicktime (7.0) and found v7
    >ONLY supports Win2K and XP.....and that all the new movie trailers only
    >support Quicktime 7.
    >
    >So I hunted around and managed to find Quicktime 6.5.1 in the Support area
    >of the Apple site.....and installed that instead....but it only plays the
    >less recent trailers and other stuff.
    >
    >I also installed Real Player 10 and Windows Media 9.....which both support
    >Win98SE.
    >
    >These people have a perfectly good computer that operates at a perfectly
    >viable speed for almost everything. They have no plans to buy a new system,
    >wanting mainly e-mail and web browsing.
    >
    >The current Windows OSes are poorly suited to systems like this. They were
    >also interested to see Knoppix/Linux up and running very well on the same
    >system.....and saw it as their upgrade path.

    Their is a Quicktime alternative from memory..

    XP, Dec 6, 2005
  7. "steve" <> wrote in message
    > Did a fresh Win98SE install on a friend's system - PIII-440MHz with 128MB
    > of
    > RAM.
    >
    > Best fit.
    >
    > Went to download the latest version of Apple Quicktime (7.0) and found v7
    > ONLY supports Win2K and XP.....and that all the new movie trailers only
    > support Quicktime 7.
    >
    > So I hunted around and managed to find Quicktime 6.5.1 in the Support area
    > of the Apple site.....and installed that instead....but it only plays the
    > less recent trailers and other stuff.

    Not only that, but I refused to download QT on my new box because now it's
    only available with iTunes... I never used iTunes, and apparently it's a
    pain to remove or change extensions after this is installed.

    --
    Mauricio Freitas
    www.geekzone.co.nz

    Mauricio Freitas [MVP], Dec 6, 2005
  8. steve

    SteveM Guest

    "Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <> wrote in

    > "steve" <> wrote in message
    >> Did a fresh Win98SE install on a friend's system - PIII-440MHz with
    >> 128MB of
    >> RAM.
    >>
    >> Best fit.
    >>
    >> Went to download the latest version of Apple Quicktime (7.0) and
    >> found v7 ONLY supports Win2K and XP.....and that all the new movie
    >> trailers only support Quicktime 7.
    >>
    >> So I hunted around and managed to find Quicktime 6.5.1 in the Support
    >> area of the Apple site.....and installed that instead....but it only
    >> plays the less recent trailers and other stuff.
    >>

    > Not only that, but I refused to download QT on my new box because now
    > it's only available with iTunes... I never used iTunes, and apparently
    > it's a pain to remove or change extensions after this is installed.

    You can get quicktime without itunes;

    http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/standalone.html

    SteveM

    SteveM, Dec 6, 2005
  9. steve

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <>,
    Gordon <> wrote:

    > On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 17:23:52 +1300, GraB wrote:
    >
    > > That is typical Apple. It seems strange to me that Apple are playing
    > > into the hands of their natural enemy by forcing people to 'upgrade'
    > > the XP. I found the same thing with iPod software. It won't install
    > > on Win98SE.

    > Remember that Apple got into bed with MS.

    Yawn.... FUD.

    whoisthis, Dec 6, 2005
  10. steve

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <>,
    GraB <> wrote:

    > That is typical Apple. It seems strange to me that Apple are playing
    > into the hands of their natural enemy by forcing people to 'upgrade'
    > the XP. I found the same thing with iPod software. It won't install
    > on Win98SE.

    yea, how disgusting, refusing to support a dead OS 7 years old.

    whoisthis, Dec 6, 2005
  11. steve

    S Roby Guest

    S Roby, Dec 6, 2005
  12. steve

    steve Guest

    daemon9 wrote:

    > On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 16:11:51 +1300, steve wrote:
    >
    >> The current Windows OSes are poorly suited to systems like this. They
    >> were also interested to see Knoppix/Linux up and running very well on the
    >> same system.....and saw it as their upgrade path.

    > What about Mac?
    >
    > -R

    Sorry.....certainly works on Mac...

    steve, Dec 6, 2005
  13. steve

    steve Guest

    GraB wrote:

    > That is typical Apple.  It seems strange to me that Apple are playing
    > into the hands of their natural enemy by forcing people to 'upgrade'
    > the XP.  I found the same thing with iPod software.  It won't install
    > on Win98SE.

    Maybe DRM can't be enforced on Win9x....but can be on WinXP and 2K.

    > Have you tried Quicktime Alternative which comes with Media Player
    > Classic and also Real Alternative?

    Never heard of them. I'll look into it now you've mentioned it.

    steve, Dec 6, 2005
  14. steve

    steve Guest

    whoisthis wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > GraB <> wrote:
    >

    >> That is typical Apple. It seems strange to me that Apple are playing
    >> into the hands of their natural enemy by forcing people to 'upgrade'
    >> the XP. I found the same thing with iPod software. It won't install
    >> on Win98SE.

    > yea, how disgusting, refusing to support a dead OS 7 years old.

    Far from dead.

    Current estimates show more than 25% of all PCs run this "dead OS".

    steve, Dec 6, 2005
  15. steve

    steve Guest

    Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:

    > Not only that, but I refused to download QT on my new box because now it's
    > only available with iTunes... I never used iTunes, and apparently it's a
    > pain to remove or change extensions after this is installed.

    Yes....I saw iTunes was a forced bundle.....at 32MB total.

    These folk were on dial-up until today.....and had trouble downloading
    anything over 1MB due to the phone line dropping constantly.

    steve, Dec 6, 2005
  16. steve

    steve Guest

    steve, Dec 6, 2005
  17. steve

    Dave Taylor Guest

    steve <> wrote in news::

    > Sorry.....certainly works on Mac...

    Are you trolling?
    Mac os version?

    Oh wait I went and looked:
    QuickTime 7 for
    Mac OS X v10.3.9 or later

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Dec 6, 2005
  18. steve

    David Guest

    Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:
    > "steve" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Did a fresh Win98SE install on a friend's system - PIII-440MHz with 128MB
    >>of
    >>RAM.
    >>
    >>Best fit.
    >>
    >>Went to download the latest version of Apple Quicktime (7.0) and found v7
    >>ONLY supports Win2K and XP.....and that all the new movie trailers only
    >>support Quicktime 7.
    >>
    >>So I hunted around and managed to find Quicktime 6.5.1 in the Support area
    >>of the Apple site.....and installed that instead....but it only plays the
    >>less recent trailers and other stuff.
    >>

    > Not only that, but I refused to download QT on my new box because now it's
    > only available with iTunes... I never used iTunes, and apparently it's a
    > pain to remove or change extensions after this is installed.

    If you extract the iTunes installer using WinRAR (just right
    click->Extract) you can just run QuicktimeInstaller.exe, however you
    still end up downloading the whole lot.

    David, Dec 6, 2005
  19. steve

    -=rjh=- Guest

    steve wrote:
    > SteveM wrote:
    >

    >>You can get quicktime without itunes;
    >>
    >>http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/standalone.html
    >>
    >>SteveM

    > If that is mentioned anywhere on the main download page, it's in white text
    > on a white background.

    No, it isn't - I've been there, done that - the link is just a wee bit
    obscure. Far bottom right corner.

    Annoyed me, too - when you want to download iTunes, it is hard to find a
    standalone version (as I posted here a few weeks back). Don't Apple
    think their products stand on their own merits, so they have to force
    people to download them?

    -=rjh=-, Dec 6, 2005
  20. steve

    steve Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:

    > Annoyed me, too - when you want to download iTunes, it is hard to find a
    > standalone version (as I posted here a few weeks back). Don't Apple
    > think their products stand on their own merits, so they have to force
    > people to download them?

    They're just doing a Microsoft.....in the same way they make you take their
    browser and e-mail program with Windows.

    These closed, private companies are all alike in that regard. If they think
    they can, they WILL force you to do what they what they want you to
    do.....and not what you might like them to do for you.

    It's precisely that behaviour that gave rise to Open Source...and the search
    for freedom from such things.

    steve, Dec 6, 2005