    enf in EXE. are these necessary & are they programmes i can erase. I go to
    add/remove on control panel & they arent listed under the programmes!
    Cheeers

    gary, Jan 18, 2004

  2. gary

    Win Guest

    Sorry man but you should not be useing a firewall
    You do not know enought to adminerter (sp) it
    an *.exe file is an excuatable file
    like run word.exe (Microsoft word) will jump into life because that is what
    exe files do

    I no time if you continue you will start loseing internet access because you
    will stop programs accessing the ent

    save yourself the hassel and learn more about it'
    the help file
    zone labs web site
    Quicken is an accounting program (should it be accessing the internet
    do you even use it
    loader is rubbish but it is only being loaded because of other stuff
    starting up on the computer

    "gary" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > I have Zone Alarm installed & each time i access the internet or

    Outlook
    > express, Zone Alarm asks me if i want it to access.OK but what are all

    these
    > other programmes like QUICKEN. EXE & LOADER APPLICATION & many others

    that

    Win, Jan 18, 2004

  3. gary

    gary Guest

    What do you mean i shouldn't be using a firewall ? My mate set up my pc
    security as i know jack shit about it. He said Zone Alarm is important to
    prevent viruses & things accessing. I always get things i don't know asking
    on ZA if they have permission accessing the net. Can i delete Quicken &
    loader Exe from ZA.

    gary, Jan 18, 2004
  4. On 18 Jan 2004, gary wrote

    > Hi
    > I have Zone Alarm installed & each time i access the internet
    > or Outlook
    > express, Zone Alarm asks me if i want it to access.

    Obiouvsly Outlook Express needs to connect: you've asked it to.
    Check the box on the Zone Alarm dialogue to "remember" your request,
    and it won't ask you again.

    > OK but what are all these other programmes like QUICKEN. EXE &
    > LOADER APPLICATION & many others that enf in EXE. are these
    > necessary & are they programmes i can erase. I go to add/remove
    > on control panel & they arent listed under the programmes! Cheeers

    They're various programs on your computer -- Quicken.exe, for example,
    is a Microsoft accounting program which is often installed as part of
    the software that comes with a new machine, and a "loader application"
    may be related to some program you've asked to download and install.
    (They might be linked/buried with other programs, which is why they're
    not showing up in add/remove.)

    The fact that they show up in Zone Alarm means that they're trying to
    access the Internet from your computer. This is sometimes for
    innocuous reasons -- checking for updates and such-like -- but can be
    for evil/virus reasons. (It's hard to say why any particular program
    wants to connect: many MS ones try it for no obvious reason. The
    Intellimouse driver, for example, and the solitaire game "Spider" both
    try to connect on my machine; I just say "no".)

    When something first tries to connect, Zone Alarm asks you if you want
    to let it or not, and lets you choose whether your answer is for "just
    this once" or permanent. (If you've allowed/disallowed permanently and
    want to change it, you can do this in the Zone Alarm control panel
    under "Programs". You can also remove programs entirely, which means
    that next time they try to connect to the Internet, Zone Alarm will
    again pop up with the allow/disallow dialogue.)

    I'd say the best policy is to permit access only for programs that
    you've specifically asked to connect to the internet -- like a browser
    or your e-mail program (both of which are pretty useless if you don't
    let them connect). Anything else that asks to connect -- especially if
    you don't know *why* it's asking -- should be refused, with the
    "remember this" box checked.

    As for your first question, unless you've got a reason for programas
    like Quicken to connect to the Internet, ask Zone Alarm to block it
    permanently and it'll just work in the background.

    HTH

    --
    Cheers,
    Harvey

    For e-mail, change harvey to whhvs.

    Harvey Van Sickle, Jan 18, 2004
  5. gary

    B.Al.Zeebub Guest

    On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 01:26:21 +1300, Win pecked at a keyboard in panic:

    > Sorry man but you should not be useing a firewall
    > You do not know enought to adminerter (sp) it
    > an *.exe file is an excuatable file
    > like run word.exe (Microsoft word) will jump into life because that is what
    > exe files do
    >
    > I no time if you continue you will start loseing internet access because you
    > will stop programs accessing the ent
    >
    > save yourself the hassel and learn more about it'
    > the help file
    > zone labs web site
    > Quicken is an accounting program (should it be accessing the internet
    > do you even use it
    > loader is rubbish but it is only being loaded because of other stuff
    > starting up on the computer

    Repeat after me: Don't do drugs and post. Don't do drugs and post. Don't
    do drugs and post. Don't do drugs and post. Don't do drugs and post. Don't
    do drugs and post. Don't do drugs and post. Don't do drugs and post.

    Then learn to spell.

    --
    B.Al.Zeebub
    Registered Linux User #339345

    B.Al.Zeebub, Jan 18, 2004
  6. gary

    B.Al.Zeebub Guest

    On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 12:48:22 +0000, gary pecked at a keyboard in panic:

    > What do you mean i shouldn't be using a firewall ? My mate set up my pc
    > security as i know jack shit about it. He said Zone Alarm is important to
    > prevent viruses & things accessing. I always get things i don't know asking
    > on ZA if they have permission accessing the net. Can i delete Quicken &
    > loader Exe from ZA.

    Forget the idiot. ZA has a more information link for the programs it
    blocks as the alerts pop up. Use it. You may want to download and install
    AdAware as en extra precaution.

    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

    B.Al.Zeebub, Jan 18, 2004
  7. gary

    °Mike° Guest

    You have been infected with CoolWebSearch.
    Install and use the following:

    CWShredder

    On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 10:34:32 -0000, in
    <budngl$giq$>
    gary scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jan 18, 2004
  8. gary

    Stickems Guest

    Bingo

    Stickems, Jan 18, 2004
  9. gary

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Jan 18, 2004
  10. °Mike° wrote:

    > How much did you win?
    >

    > On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 18:52:46 -0000, in
    > <2CAOb.14322$>
    > Stickems scrawled:
    >
    >>Bingo

    > <snip>

    Two pounds of sausage. Yum.
    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA

    Gary G. Taylor, Jan 19, 2004
  11. gary

    °Mike° Guest

    On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 02:11:58 GMT, in
    <O1HOb.2993$>
    Gary G. Taylor scrawled:

    >°Mike° wrote:
    >
    >> How much did you win?
    >>

    >> On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 18:52:46 -0000, in
    >> <2CAOb.14322$>
    >> Stickems scrawled:
    >>
    >>>Bingo

    >> <snip>
    >>

    >Two pounds of sausage. Yum.

    Mmmmmm! Sausages.

    --
    It's better not to know how laws and sausages are made.

    °Mike°, Jan 19, 2004
  12. gary

    °Mike° Guest

    On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 02:11:58 GMT, in
    <O1HOb.2993$>
    Gary G. Taylor scrawled:

    >°Mike° wrote:
    >
    >> How much did you win?
    >>

    >> On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 18:52:46 -0000, in
    >> <2CAOb.14322$>
    >> Stickems scrawled:
    >>
    >>>Bingo

    >> <snip>
    >>

    >Two pounds of sausage. Yum.

    Mmmmmm! Sausages.

    --
    It's better not to know how laws and sausages are made.

    °Mike°, Jan 19, 2004
  13. It was on Mon, 19 Jan 2004 02:11:58 +0000, just as I was halfway through a
    large jam doughnut, that Gary G. Taylor wrote:

    > °Mike° wrote:
    >
    >> How much did you win?
    >>

    >> On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 18:52:46 -0000, in
    >> <2CAOb.14322$>