Quickbooks: how to change GST without paying to upgrade

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Boppy, Oct 13, 2010.

  1. Boppy

    Boppy Guest

    Hi guys, does anyone here use Quickbooks? I have 09/10 installed and
    the instructions to change or add a new do not work. No matter how
    many times I set a new GST rate of 15% QB only applies a 12.5% tax
    rate on my items.

    Quicken tells me I have to spend $250 for an update to the 2010/11
    version as the patch they have developed does not work on any earlier
    versions.

    I think this is scandalous.We are still in the year 2010 so my
    software should still be supported.

    Naturally I have tried to apply the 2010/11 patch to my 2009/10
    version but it does not work.

    And as the product's help files tell me I should be able to change the
    tax rate without patches anyway, I am even angrier.

    I'd be grateful for comment from anyone here who has managed to find a
    way around QUicken's nasty money-grabbing behaviour. I am also going
    to post this on NZ.gen.

    Jo

    Boppy, Oct 13, 2010

  2. In message
    <>, Boppy
    wrote:

    > I think this is scandalous.

    Just normal proprietary-software business practice. Deal with it.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 13, 2010

  3. Boppy

    Boppy Guest

    On Oct 13, 1:39 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > In message
    > <>, Boppy
    > wrote:
    >
    > > I think this is scandalous.

    > Just normal proprietary-software business practice. Deal with it.

    I wouldn't mind paying for updates except this software is designed to
    help me collect tax for the government. If they are going to expect
    businesses to be their unpaid tax collectors then they should at least
    ease the compliance costs on us.

    Boppy, Oct 13, 2010
  4. Boppy

    victor Guest

    On 13/10/2010 5:51 p.m., Boppy wrote:
    > On Oct 13, 1:39 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro<l...@geek-
    > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    >> In message
    >> <>, Boppy
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I think this is scandalous.

    >> Just normal proprietary-software business practice. Deal with it.

    > I wouldn't mind paying for updates except this software is designed to
    > help me collect tax for the government. If they are going to expect
    > businesses to be their unpaid tax collectors then they should at least
    > ease the compliance costs on us.

    Chuck it and use Xero, much better.

    victor, Oct 13, 2010
  5. Boppy

    David Empson Guest

    Boppy <> wrote:

    > On Oct 13, 1:39 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > > In message
    > > <>, Boppy
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > > I think this is scandalous.

    > > Just normal proprietary-software business practice. Deal with it.

    > I wouldn't mind paying for updates except this software is designed to
    > help me collect tax for the government. If they are going to expect
    > businesses to be their unpaid tax collectors then they should at least
    > ease the compliance costs on us.

    I use MoneyWorks Express and the current version was released more than
    three years ago. The GST change was a simple entry in a tax rate table,
    with a changeover date.

    http://cognito.co.nz/difference.php

    --
    David Empson

    David Empson, Oct 13, 2010
  6. Boppy

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <ef78bad3-a5a4-4557-93b2-2effbeb978a3
    @m35g2000prn.googlegroups.com>, says...

    > Hi guys, does anyone here use Quickbooks? I have 09/10 installed and
    > the instructions to change or add a new do not work. No matter how
    > many times I set a new GST rate of 15% QB only applies a 12.5% tax
    > rate on my items.

    Should work, even on *really old* QB's. You need to make a new tax rate
    (I assume you've done that OK). But you also need to make new "items" -
    eg if you had an item called SERVICE, you need to make a new one eg
    "SERVICES", and set that up with the new tax code. All your existing
    items you invoice out need to be "remade" - the new ones using the new
    tax rate. That way, you can still produce invoices prior to Oct 1 (and
    I don't know that you can change the existing items anyway (but you'd
    need to check that yourself).

    > Quicken tells me I have to spend $250 for an update to the 2010/11
    > version as the patch they have developed does not work on any earlier
    > versions.

    The update won't fix your problem, IMO. It will simply update it's GST
    reporting - ???

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Oct 13, 2010
  7. In message
    <>, Boppy wrote:

    > I wouldn't mind paying for updates except this software is designed to
    > help me collect tax for the government.

    Maybe look at avoiding paying for this sort of thing in the future. A couple
    of open-source options are mentioned here
    <http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3898906/50-Open-Source-Replacements-for-Really-Expensive-Software.htm>.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 14, 2010
  8. In message <i96ehk$v9f$>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > A couple of open-source options are mentioned here
    > <http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3898906/50-Open-Source-Replacements-for-Really-Expensive-Software.htm>.

    Another one here <http://sourceforge.net/projects/postbooks/>. And the above
    article lists Point-Of-Sale apps here
    <http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/12068_3898906_3/50-Open-Source-Replacements-for-Really-Expensive-Software.htm>.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 14, 2010
  9. Boppy

    victor Guest

    > In message<i96ehk$v9f$>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> A couple of open-source options are mentioned here
    >> <http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3898906/50-Open-Source-Replacements-for-Really-Expensive-Software.htm>.

    > Another one here<http://sourceforge.net/projects/postbooks/>. And the above
    > article lists Point-Of-Sale apps here
    > <http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/12068_3898906_3/50-Open-Source-Replacements-for-Really-Expensive-Software.htm>.

    I'd suggest looking for something your accountant had at least heard of
    and preferably used regularly.

    victor, Oct 14, 2010
  10. In message <i96ju8$anq$-september.org>, victor wrote:

    > I'd suggest looking for something your accountant had at least heard of
    > and preferably used regularly.

    What would accountants know about software?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 14, 2010
  11. Boppy

    victor Guest

    On 15/10/2010 12:05 a.m., Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message<i96ju8$anq$-september.org>, victor wrote:
    >
    >> I'd suggest looking for something your accountant had at least heard of
    >> and preferably used regularly.

    > What would accountants know about software?

    They know that the cost of the software is deductible

    victor, Oct 14, 2010
  12. Boppy

    Boppy Guest

    On Oct 13, 7:08 pm, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    > In article <ef78bad3-a5a4-4557-93b2-2effbeb978a3
    > @m35g2000prn.googlegroups.com>, says...
    >

    > > Hi guys, does anyone here use Quickbooks? I have 09/10 installed and
    > > the instructions to change or add a new do not work. No matter how
    > > many times I set a new GST rate of 15% QB only applies a 12.5% tax
    > > rate on my items.

    > Should work, even on *really old* QB's.  You need to make a new tax rate
    > (I assume you've done that OK).  But you also need to make new "items" -
    > eg if you had an item called SERVICE, you need to make a new one eg
    > "SERVICES", and set that up with the new tax code. All  your existing
    > items you invoice out need to be "remade" - the new ones using the new
    > tax rate.  That way, you can still produce invoices prior to Oct 1 (and
    > I don't know that you can change the existing items anyway (but you'd
    > need to check that yourself).
    >
    > > Quicken tells me I have to spend $250 for an update to the 2010/11
    > > version as the patch they have developed does not work on any earlier
    > > versions.

    > The update won't fix your problem, IMO.  It will simply update it's GST
    > reporting - ???
    >
    > --
    > Duncan.

    Thanks Duncan but no go.
    I created a new service at the nett rate of $20. Gave it the new GST
    rate of 15% and it still only makes the gross rate $22.50.
    Weird.
    Jo

    Boppy, Oct 15, 2010
  13. Boppy

    Boppy Guest

    On Oct 15, 12:05 am, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > In message <i96ju8$-september.org>, victor wrote:
    >
    > > I'd suggest looking for something your accountant had at least heard of
    > > and preferably used regularly.

    > What would accountants know about software?

    I need to use the same software that my accountant has so he can pick
    up my files and use them each year.

    Boppy, Oct 15, 2010
  14. In message
    <>, Boppy
    wrote:

    > I need to use the same software that my accountant has so he can pick
    > up my files and use them each year.

    That doesn’t require you to be using the same software, it requires the both
    of you to be using software that can interchange data according to open,
    standard formats.

    Like OFX <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Financial_Exchange>, QIF
    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quicken_Interchange_Format>, that kind of
    thing.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 15, 2010
  15. In message <i96qsr$3a6$-september.org>, victor wrote:

    > On 15/10/2010 12:05 a.m., Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In message<i96ju8$anq$-september.org>, victor wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'd suggest looking for something your accountant had at least heard of
    >>> and preferably used regularly.

    >> What would accountants know about software?

    > They know that the cost of the software is deductible

    Wonder why the OP is so reluctant to simply stump up the cost, then, if it’s
    such a small deal.

    Oh, wait, could it be because it’s only deductable off _taxable income_,
    which is not the same as being deductable off _tax_?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 15, 2010
  16. Boppy

    Boppy Guest

    On Oct 15, 2:12 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > In message <i96qsr$-september.org>, victor wrote:

    > >> What would accountants know about software?

    > > They know that the cost of the software is deductible

    > Wonder why the OP is so reluctant to simply stump up the cost, then, if it’s
    > such a small deal.
    >
    > Oh, wait, could it be because it’s only deductable off _taxable income_,
    > which is not the same as being deductable off _tax_?

    No smartarse it's because I have higher priorities to spend my
    disposable income on than helping be the government's unpaid tax
    collector.

    Boppy, Oct 15, 2010
  17. In message
    <>, Boppy
    wrote:

    > On Oct 15, 2:12 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand>
    > wrote:

    >>> They know that the cost of the software is deductible

    >> Wonder why the OP is so reluctant to simply stump up the cost, then, if
    >> it’s such a small deal.
    >>
    >> Oh, wait, could it be because it’s only deductable off _taxable income_,
    >> which is not the same as being deductable off _tax_?

    > No smartarse it's because I have higher priorities to spend my
    > disposable income on than helping be the government's unpaid tax
    > collector.

    But that didn’t stop you buying the software in the first place.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 15, 2010
  18. Boppy

    Boppy Guest

    On Oct 15, 7:35 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > In message
    > <>, Boppy
    > wrote:
    >

    > > On Oct 15, 2:12 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand>
    > > wrote:

    > >> Wonder why the OP is so reluctant to simply stump up the cost, then, if
    > >> it’s such a small deal.

    > >> Oh, wait, could it be because it’s only deductable off _taxable income_,
    > >> which is not the same as being deductable off _tax_?

    > > No smartarse it's because I have higher priorities to spend my
    > > disposable income on than helping be the government's unpaid tax
    > > collector.

    > But that didn’t stop you buying the software in the first place.

    I didn't. It came with the business.

    Boppy, Oct 15, 2010
  19. Boppy

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <b39c66f5-f642-4c44-96a6-
    >,
    says...

    > On Oct 13, 7:08 pm, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    > > In article <ef78bad3-a5a4-4557-93b2-2effbeb978a3
    > > @m35g2000prn.googlegroups.com>, says...
    > >

    > > > Hi guys, does anyone here use Quickbooks? I have 09/10 installed and
    > > > the instructions to change or add a new do not work. No matter how
    > > > many times I set a new GST rate of 15% QB only applies a 12.5% tax
    > > > rate on my items.

    > > Should work, even on *really old* QB's.  You need to make a new tax rate
    > > (I assume you've done that OK).  But you also need to make new "items" -
    > > eg if you had an item called SERVICE, you need to make a new one eg
    > > "SERVICES", and set that up with the new tax code. All  your existing
    > > items you invoice out need to be "remade" - the new ones using the new
    > > tax rate.  That way, you can still produce invoices prior to Oct 1 (and
    > > I don't know that you can change the existing items anyway (but you'd
    > > need to check that yourself).
    > >
    > > > Quicken tells me I have to spend $250 for an update to the 2010/11
    > > > version as the patch they have developed does not work on any earlier
    > > > versions.

    > > The update won't fix your problem, IMO.  It will simply update it's GST
    > > reporting - ???
    > >
    > > --
    > > Duncan.

    > Thanks Duncan but no go.
    > I created a new service at the nett rate of $20. Gave it the new GST
    > rate of 15% and it still only makes the gross rate $22.50.
    > Weird.
    > Jo

    Weird alright - works for me.

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Oct 15, 2010
  20. In message
    <>, Boppy
    wrote:

    > On Oct 15, 7:35 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> But that didn’t stop you buying the software in the first place.

    > I didn't. It came with the business.

    Well, now you have to make a choice. The fundamental business model for
    proprietary software companies involves you paying them money for the
    software, so any excuse they can come up with for you to pay them more money
    is never going to be overlooked. The change in GST rate was a case in point:
    they’d have been fools to forego that chance to charge you more money. Can
    you blame them?

    Now, you can knuckle under, stump up the extra cash, and pretend this whole
    thing never happened. Or you can switch in disgust to another proprietary
    software product. But you’ll still have to shell out more money. And leave
    yourself open to another company doing the same sort of thing to you in
    future. (And mark my words, they will.)

    Or you can look at Free Software alternatives. It’s not a route for those
    accustomed to having their answers handed to them on a plate—it requires you
    to take more responsibility for yourself. But on the plus side, no one can
    ever screw you like Quickbooks has done.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 16, 2010