Quick WinXP questions

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ofn01, Feb 20, 2004.

  1. ofn01

    ofn01 Guest

    Hi, Just got a computer on behalf of my parents.
    My first real taste of WinXP, I have already done activation on WinXP and
    Office2K3

    1. I set it up at my home on a different monitor. I have yet to take it
    there and put the new monitor and their HP printer on it - will this affect
    product activation?? (doesn't seem to from what I have read)

    2. I use Kerio 2.1.4 here at home which seems to be fine. Should I Install
    that on their machine, I have selected the checkbox in the properties for
    their dial-up connection to essentially use the built in Windows XP
    firewall - is that ok? Or should I download the latest kerio?

    3. I believe their HP printer (some basic colour deskjet thing that is about
    2 years old) came with a driver disk - but I figure its probably best to let
    winXP detect it? Its a parallel port based one.

    They basically want to get more profficient with office (and wanted the
    whole pack) and windows in general. I like the fact you can get rid of the
    crazy interface and have it look more-or-less like Normal pre XP windows.

    ofn01, Feb 20, 2004

  2. ofn01

    ac Guest

    In article <%mhZb.25273$>, ofn01
    @nospam.isp.nit.nz says...

    > Hi, Just got a computer on behalf of my parents.
    > My first real taste of WinXP, I have already done activation on WinXP and
    > Office2K3
    >
    > 1. I set it up at my home on a different monitor. I have yet to take it
    > there and put the new monitor and their HP printer on it - will this affect
    > product activation?? (doesn't seem to from what I have read)

    No. Not a significant change.

    > 2. I use Kerio 2.1.4 here at home which seems to be fine. Should I Install
    > that on their machine, I have selected the checkbox in the properties for
    > their dial-up connection to essentially use the built in Windows XP
    > firewall - is that ok? Or should I download the latest kerio?

    The builtin firewall in XP sucks, though Kerio isn't much better. Use
    the latest kerio.

    > 3. I believe their HP printer (some basic colour deskjet thing that is about
    > 2 years old) came with a driver disk - but I figure its probably best to let
    > winXP detect it? Its a parallel port based one.

    Use XP drivers when using XP. Also check hp.com just to make sure the
    driver is the latest.

    > They basically want to get more profficient with office (and wanted the
    > whole pack) and windows in general. I like the fact you can get rid of the
    > crazy interface and have it look more-or-less like Normal pre XP windows.

    From what I've seen users doing getting good with Office is impossible
    ;)

    You need to get rid of the crazy interface just to remain sane and so
    you don't have a machine running like a dog. The paper clip is
    evil...and so is that kitty and that puppy...

    ac, Feb 20, 2004

  3. ofn01

    Lebowski Guest

    "ofn01" <> wrote in message
    > I like the fact you can get rid of the
    > crazy interface and have it look more-or-less like Normal pre XP windows.

    "crazy interface"? wtf???

    Lebowski, Feb 20, 2004
  4. ofn01

    Gordon Guest

    On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 19:41:23 +1300, Lebowski wrote:

    > "ofn01" <> wrote in message
    >> I like the fact you can get rid of the
    >> crazy interface and have it look more-or-less like Normal pre XP windows.
    >>

    > "crazy interface"? wtf???

    Clowns programming programmes for on your monitor.

    Gordon, Feb 20, 2004
  5. ofn01

    Gordon Guest

    On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 19:37:48 +1300, ac wrote:

    > In article <%mhZb.25273$>, ofn01
    > @nospam.isp.nit.nz says...
    >>

    >> 2. I use Kerio 2.1.4 here at home which seems to be fine. Should I Install
    >> that on their machine, I have selected the checkbox in the properties for
    >> their dial-up connection to essentially use the built in Windows XP
    >> firewall - is that ok? Or should I download the latest kerio?
    >>

    > The builtin firewall in XP sucks, though Kerio isn't much better. Use
    > the latest kerio.

    Meanwhile at the Mad hatters Tea Party....

    >> 3. I believe their HP printer (some basic colour deskjet thing that is about
    >> 2 years old) came with a driver disk - but I figure its probably best to let
    >> winXP detect it? Its a parallel port based one.
    >>

    > Use XP drivers when using XP. Also check hp.com just to make sure the
    > driver is the latest.

    FFS, STF a manufactures drivers are the way to go. I know MS may think
    otherwise.

    Gordon, Feb 20, 2004
  6. ofn01

    ofn01 Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 19:37:48 +1300, ac wrote:
    >
    > > In article <%mhZb.25273$>, ofn01
    > > @nospam.isp.nit.nz says...
    > >>

    > >> 2. I use Kerio 2.1.4 here at home which seems to be fine. Should I

    Install
    > >> that on their machine, I have selected the checkbox in the properties

    for
    > >> their dial-up connection to essentially use the built in Windows XP
    > >> firewall - is that ok? Or should I download the latest kerio?
    > >>

    > > The builtin firewall in XP sucks, though Kerio isn't much better. Use
    > > the latest kerio.

    > Meanwhile at the Mad hatters Tea Party....

    Ive basically read the XP firewall does fine for upping the protection for
    inbound stuff but nothing for any malicious outbound connections. I think
    for the moment that should be fine as they have Norton antivirus to check
    for email viruses etc. and I have configured their internet connection so
    that they have to enter in a password to make the connection.

    > >> 3. I believe their HP printer (some basic colour deskjet thing that is

    about
    > >> 2 years old) came with a driver disk - but I figure its probably best

    to let
    > >> winXP detect it? Its a parallel port based one.
    > >>

    > > Use XP drivers when using XP. Also check hp.com just to make sure the
    > > driver is the latest.

    > FFS, STF a manufactures drivers are the way to go. I know MS may think
    > otherwise.

    Hmm - I might try the XP ones first and then to go the HP site maybe

    ofn01, Feb 20, 2004
  7. ofn01

    ofn01 Guest

    "ofn01" <> wrote in message

    > Hi, Just got a computer on behalf of my parents.
    > My first real taste of WinXP, I have already done activation on WinXP and
    > Office2K3
    >
    > 1. I set it up at my home on a different monitor. I have yet to take it
    > there and put the new monitor and their HP printer on it - will this

    affect
    > product activation?? (doesn't seem to from what I have read)
    >
    > 2. I use Kerio 2.1.4 here at home which seems to be fine. Should I Install
    > that on their machine, I have selected the checkbox in the properties for
    > their dial-up connection to essentially use the built in Windows XP
    > firewall - is that ok? Or should I download the latest kerio?
    >
    > 3. I believe their HP printer (some basic colour deskjet thing that is

    about
    > 2 years old) came with a driver disk - but I figure its probably best to

    let
    > winXP detect it? Its a parallel port based one.
    >
    > They basically want to get more profficient with office (and wanted the
    > whole pack) and windows in general. I like the fact you can get rid of the
    > crazy interface and have it look more-or-less like Normal pre XP windows.

    Another question I forgot to ask:

    MSN Messenger came with the system - but when I try to exit it it says that
    it has to stay running for the sake of Internet Explorer / Outlook 2003 etc.
    etc. - is this a fact? Are all XP users tied to using MSN messenger now?

    ofn01, Feb 20, 2004
  8. ofn01

    MarkH Guest

    "ofn01" <> wrote in

    > MSN Messenger came with the system - but when I try to exit it it says
    > that it has to stay running for the sake of Internet Explorer /
    > Outlook 2003 etc. etc. - is this a fact? Are all XP users tied to
    > using MSN messenger now?

    No, Open Outlook Express and go to Tools => Options and untick the box by
    the text "automatically log on to Windows Messenger". I don’t think that
    IE needs MSN Messenger. I am not sure where the setting is in Outlook 2003
    to turn off messenger.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    understand binary and those that don't"

    MarkH, Feb 20, 2004
  9. Lebowski wrote:
    >>I like the fact you can get rid of the
    >>crazy interface and have it look more-or-less like Normal pre XP windows.

    > "crazy interface"? wtf???

    Green start button and task bar... it's just fucking strange.

    --
    Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    Play Hangman

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Feb 21, 2004
  10. ofn01

    Lebowski Guest

    "T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in
    message news:t8AZb.51090$...
    > Lebowski wrote:
    > >>I like the fact you can get rid of the
    > >>crazy interface and have it look more-or-less like Normal pre XP

    windows.

    > > "crazy interface"? wtf???

    > Green start button and task bar... it's just fucking strange.
    >
    > --

    I use StyleXP, so my Start button is Spongebob Squarepants' tie and
    pants...and my taskbar is spongey bright yellow to go with the Spongebob
    Squarepants visual theme. I'm sure ofn01 would have a coronary if s/he saw
    my Start menu - Spongebob leaps out himself with a welcoming wave and a
    smile! :))))

    Lebowski, Feb 21, 2004
  11. Lebowski wrote:
    >>>"crazy interface"? wtf???

    >>Green start button and task bar... it's just fucking strange.

    > I use StyleXP, so my Start button is Spongebob Squarepants' tie and
    > pants...and my taskbar is spongey bright yellow to go with the Spongebob
    > Squarepants visual theme. I'm sure ofn01 would have a coronary if s/he saw
    > my Start menu - Spongebob leaps out himself with a welcoming wave and a
    > smile! :))))

    I'd like to take back my comment about the Default windows task bar, and
    apply it to yours instead. The default is just ugly... yours is fucking
    strange.

    --
    Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    Play Hangman

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Feb 21, 2004
  12. ofn01

    Lebowski Guest

    "T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in
    message news:IwHZb.51506$...

    > >>Green start button and task bar... it's just fucking strange.

    > > I use StyleXP, so my Start button is Spongebob Squarepants' tie and
    > > pants...and my taskbar is spongey bright yellow to go with the Spongebob
    > > Squarepants visual theme. I'm sure ofn01 would have a coronary if s/he

    saw
    > > my Start menu - Spongebob leaps out himself with a welcoming wave and a
    > > smile! :))))

    > I'd like to take back my comment about the Default windows task bar, and
    > apply it to yours instead. The default is just ugly... yours is fucking
    > strange.

    The strangest thing about it all is, I tried several themes which were
    pleasing enough to the eye and hardly what one would describe as
    outlandish - yet were difficult to read, especially with regards to font
    styles / colour pairings etc. Paradoxically, the stupidest-looking one
    happened to be one of the easier-to-read styles.

    Besides, I am a strange guy....they say the gui of your computer will
    reflect / match your inner personality :))

    Lebowski, Feb 21, 2004
  13. Lebowski wrote:
    > Besides, I am a strange guy....they say the gui of your computer will
    > reflect / match your inner personality :))

    I must be a very boring and predictable person... I use the windows 2k
    look with a black back ground.

    --
    Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    Play Hangman

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Feb 21, 2004
  14. ofn01

    Lebowski Guest

    "T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in
    message news:V7RZb.51942$...
    > Lebowski wrote:
    > > Besides, I am a strange guy....they say the gui of your computer will
    > > reflect / match your inner personality :))

    > I must be a very boring and predictable person... I use the windows 2k
    > look with a black back ground.

    Maybe it denotes 'analytical', where everything is black-and-white??? This
    could well be a job for tv's The Profilers -they could read your aura from
    viewing your desktop :)

    Lebowski, Feb 22, 2004
  15. Lebowski wrote:
    >>>Besides, I am a strange guy....they say the gui of your computer will
    >>>reflect / match your inner personality :))

    >>I must be a very boring and predictable person... I use the windows 2k
    >>look with a black back ground.

    > Maybe it denotes 'analytical', where everything is black-and-white??? This
    > could well be a job for tv's The Profilers -they could read your aura from
    > viewing your desktop :)

    God I hate that show... I saw some comedy show recently ripping on that
    pretty bad, **** it was funny.

    --
    Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    Play Hangman

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Feb 22, 2004
  16. ofn01

    Dogg Guest

    On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 07:11:08 +1300, "ofn01" <>
    wrote:

    <snip>

    >Another question I forgot to ask:
    >
    >MSN Messenger came with the system - but when I try to exit it it says that
    >it has to stay running for the sake of Internet Explorer / Outlook 2003 etc.
    >etc. - is this a fact? Are all XP users tied to using MSN messenger now?

    Nope. If you don't use it, uninstall it. If you have SP1, you can
    unistall from add/remove programs, windows components.

    Dogg, Feb 23, 2004
  17. ofn01

    PseUDO Guest

    Dogg wrote:
    > On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 07:11:08 +1300, "ofn01" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > <snip>
    >
    >>Another question I forgot to ask:
    >>
    >>MSN Messenger came with the system - but when I try to exit it it says that
    >>it has to stay running for the sake of Internet Explorer / Outlook 2003 etc.
    >>etc. - is this a fact? Are all XP users tied to using MSN messenger now?
    >>

    > Nope. If you don't use it, uninstall it. If you have SP1, you can
    > unistall from add/remove programs, windows components.

    That only removes the icons from the start menu, their is a script that
    can be downloaded here
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_messenger_remove.htm
    that will remove it, Windows messenger comes pre-installed wih xp, MSN
    messenger is a seperate download.

    Although on my HP notebook that comes with a clean install of xp &
    service pack 1 pre-installed, windows messenger doesn't popup the first
    time you go online etc, and it doesn't keep asking me to setup a
    passport etc,must of been turned off by default on slipstreamed versions
    of xp.

    PseUDO

    PseUDO, Feb 23, 2004