Quick video question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by policetac, May 5, 2011.

  1. policetac

    policetac

    Joined:
    May 5, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    SOMEBODY PLEASE ANSWER THIS. I'M AFRAID MY SYSTEM IS GOING TO FAIL!!

    CHANGES SINCE POST
    Answered own question. Went to change setting in BIOS, setting was already at max at 8.
    However, I noticed that the setting for onboard or PCI was set to PCI. CHANGED it to onboard. (That's what I have.)
    Ramped all of the settings back up, still does it. Just not as often.

    System was fine then,
    Went from XP, to 7, then back to XP.
    Good install, but monitor would flicker. (Green on, checked cables, etc. Conclusion: "Driver Problem")
    Set SOME display property's low, reinstalled drivers, same problem.
    Set "Video Acceleration" to almost none, and checked "Enable Write Combining,"
    Reduced resolution to 800X600, reduced from 32 bit to 16 bit.
    DPI is 96, 60 Htz, High Color
    Flickering of monitor has pretty much quit. Only very occasionally as I write this.
    Here's the rest of the info I think is needed. (Followed by the rest of my question.)

    HP514x (Intel x86)
    2.0 Ghz
    503 Mb "Physical Memory"
    Windows XP 5.1.2600 SP2
    DirectX 9
    Video Driver: Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller
    Version: 6.14.10.434
    Memory Size: 64 Mg Internal

    Ok, as I was restarting one of the times. I went into the BIOS to see what I could see.
    The one thing that caught my eye was a video setting that allowed for me to increase or decrease Megabytes. It's currently at 8.
    Does the "64" MGb "Memory Size" above mean I can set this up to 64? What is this for? I thought it was so you could use more RAM if you were to upgrade your video card.
    Could someone please just give me a crash course in graphics cards and their settings?
    Thank you.
    Sincerely,
    policetac

    Last edited: May 5, 2011