    better if you use these cables?

    Thanks

    John H. Power

    John H. Power, Apr 4, 2004

  2. John H. Power

    Thor Guest

    "John H. Power" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I just put a Soundblaster Audiology into my Sony and disabled the on
    > board sound. I did not connect the DVD-DW and DVD-ROM drives to the
    > card with the cabling but CDs still play from them. Is there a reason
    > why they give you those little connecting wires even though you get
    > sound from these drives without doing that? Is the sound quality
    > better if you use these cables?

    Not all versions of windows or CD player applications support digital audio
    playback. Prior to Media Player 7, the analog audio cable was required to
    get CD audio to the sound card for amplification, and output to speakers, or
    headphones. Around 1999-2000, Media Player 7 (and also WinME with MP7
    integrated) brought support for digital playback, which meant that the CPU
    and software took the raw digital audio data stream from the CDROM drive via
    the IDE cable, and sent the necessary data to the sound card via WAV out,
    where it was processed and sent to your speakers. This puts more burden on
    the CPU, but the result can be a cleaner output because the sound travels to
    the sound card digitally, rather than through a noisy analog cable. Digital
    playback can be disabled/enabled in the CDROM settings in WindowsXP, and in
    Media Player settings in Win9x versions of windows with MP7. Disabling it
    will cause the system to rely on the analog cable for CD audio playback. I
    would surmise that use of the analog audio cable will eventually disappear,
    since digital playback is pretty much the norm these days.

    Thor, Apr 4, 2004

  3. John H. Power

    Michael-NC Guest

    You only need the cable if you use the headphone jack on your drive. All
    sound data is handled digitally.

    Michael-NC, Apr 4, 2004
  4. John H. Power

    Thor Guest

    You don't even need the internal analog cable for that, as all the D/A
    processing and amplification happens inside the drive for that connection.
    The internal audio cable is only for getting the analog sound to the
    soundcard when digital playback is not used, or supported. It's not used for
    getting sound to the CDROM's front panel headphone jack. That all happens
    internally in the drive itself. You just need to have digital audio playback
    disabled for the front jack to work in many cases. The cable has nothing to
    do with it.

    Thor, Apr 5, 2004
  5. On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 21:03:46 -0400, "Thor" <> wrote:

    >You don't even need the internal analog cable for that, as all the D/A
    >processing and amplification happens inside the drive for that connection.
    >The internal audio cable is only for getting the analog sound to the
    >soundcard when digital playback is not used, or supported. It's not used for
    >getting sound to the CDROM's front panel headphone jack. That all happens
    >internally in the drive itself. You just need to have digital audio playback
    >disabled for the front jack to work in many cases. The cable has nothing to
    >do with it.
    >

    >..
    >"Michael-NC" <> wrote in message
    >> You only need the cable if you use the headphone jack on your drive. All
    >> sound data is handled digitally.
    >>
    >> "John H. Power" <> wrote in message
    >> > I just put a Soundblaster Audiology into my Sony and disabled the on
    >> > board sound. I did not connect the DVD-DW and DVD-ROM drives to the
    >> > card with the cabling but CDs still play from them. Is there a reason
    >> > why they give you those little connecting wires even though you get
    >> > sound from these drives without doing that? Is the sound quality
    >> > better if you use these cables?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks
    >> >
    >> > John H. Power

    And thanks for the short course on sound card cabling...

    John H. Power, Apr 5, 2004