Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Croos Bustamunky, May 15, 2004.

  1. Does anyone have any experience with replacement hard drives in Compaq
    computers? I recently replaced a shot hard drive (after only about 1.5
    years), bought the "QuickRestore" CDs from Compaq, and attempted to reset
    the new hard drive to "like new" condition. Unfortunately, the computer
    would only partition and format 8Gb of the hard drive. If I remember
    correctly, that's the limitation in Win-98. When I complained to Compaq,
    here's what they said:

    "The QuickRestore may not work after replacing the hard disk
    because the QuickRestore program does not identify the new hard disk.
    During the manufacturing process, an identification number (BOMID) is
    written to the User Interface Area (UIA) of the hard disk. The BOMID
    identifies the model of the computer in which the hard disk is installed.
    Replacement hard disks do not contain this information. Therefore,
    while using QuickRestore on a Compaq Presario computer that contains a
    replacement hard disk, the QuickRestore program will not be able to
    identify the model of the computer.

    If the BOMID fails, then your new hard disk does not support the ability
    to have the BOMID written to it. You will not be able to run
    QuickRestore without the BOMID. Please contact the nearest Authorized
    Support Providers to have a replacement hard disk installed that
    supports QuickRestore."

    I think they're saying I have to buy a hard drive from Compaq.

    Does anyone know a workaround to get the QuickRestore CDs to restore the
    replacement hard drive??

    Thanks

    Croos Bustamunky, May 15, 2004

  2. Croos Bustamunky

    Boomer Guest

    "Croos Bustamunky" <> did say:

    > Does anyone have any experience with replacement hard drives in
    > Compaq computers? I recently replaced a shot hard drive (after
    > only about 1.5 years), bought the "QuickRestore" CDs from Compaq,
    > and attempted to reset the new hard drive to "like new" condition.
    > Unfortunately, the computer would only partition and format 8Gb of
    > the hard drive. If I remember correctly, that's the limitation in
    > Win-98.

    If you haven't already, you might want to ask over at this news group:
    alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

    Boomer, May 15, 2004

  3. Croos Bustamunky

    Ryan 8088 Guest

    I was able to do it. I had to get the BOMID from compaq. The Arab tech put
    me on hold for exactly 57 minutes, came back saying choose one and it should
    work. Nice support, eh? You don't need a Compaq drive.

    Ryan 8088, May 15, 2004