    It was there and has disappeared.
    I'm running XP2.

    David Mason

    David, Nov 17, 2004

  2. David

    frank ashton Guest

    right click start icon , properties, taskbar,click on quick launch. then
    right click on taskbar , drag slider to left to get icons in to view then
    click on lock task bar . if you want more icons for quick launch just drag &
    drop them on to the bar

    frank ashton, Nov 18, 2004

  3. frank ashton wrote:

    > right click start icon , properties

    There is not a "properties" selection ifyou right click on the start "icon".

    Weyoun the Dancing Borg, Nov 19, 2004
  4. David wrote:

    > How do I get my quick launch to hold the return to desktop icon.
    > It was there and has disappeared.
    > I'm running XP2.
    >

    > David Mason

    I have had this problem before.

    To re-create the Show Desktop icon on the Quick Launch toolbar, follow
    these steps:

    1. Use any text editor (such as Notepad) to create a file with the
    following lines:

    [Shell]
    Command=2
    IconFile=explorer.exe,3
    [Taskbar]
    Command=ToggleDesktop

    2. Save the new file as a file named Show Desktop.scf in the
    Windows\System or Winnt\System32 folder. Note that Notepad may
    automatically append a .txt extension to the file name. Remove this
    extension if Notepad adds it. These steps do not work if the file is
    named Show Desktop.scf.txt.

    3. Quit Notepad.

    4. Using Windows Explorer or My Computer, right-click the Show Desktop
    ..scf file, and then click Create Shortcut.

    5. Copy the new shortcut to the appropriate folder. In Microsoft Windows
    95 or Windows 98, copy the shortcut to this folder:
    Windows\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch
    In Microsoft Windows NT or Microsoft Windows 2000, copy the shortcut to
    this folder:
    Winnt\System32
    In Microsoft Windows XP, copy the shortcut to the following folder:
    WINDOWS\System32\Config\Systemprofile\Application
    Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

    6. Rename the shortcut to Desktop.
    The Show Desktop icon automatically appears on the Quick Launch toolbar.
    APPLIES TO
    • Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 Service Pack 1
    • Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 Service Pack 1
    • Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.01 Service Pack 3
    • Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0
    • Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.01 128-Bit Edition
    • Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0 128-Bit Edition
    • Microsoft Internet Explorer 3.02
    • Microsoft Internet Explorer 3.01
    • Microsoft Internet Explorer 3.0
    • Microsoft Internet Explorer 2.01
    • Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.01 Service Pack 3
    • Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0
    • Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.01 128-Bit Edition
    • Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0 128-Bit Edition
    • Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 Service Pack 1
    • Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.01 Service Pack 3
    • Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0
    • Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0 128-Bit Edition
    • Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.01 128-Bit Edition
    • Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0 128-Bit Edition
    • Microsoft Internet Explorer 3.2
    • Microsoft Internet Explorer 3.02
    • Microsoft Internet Explorer 3.01
    • Microsoft Internet Explorer 3.0
    • Microsoft Internet Explorer 2.0
    • Microsoft Internet Explorer 1.0

    Weyoun the Dancing Borg, Nov 19, 2004
  5. David

    frank ashton Guest

    there is in my 4 machines with xp pro

    frank ashton, Nov 19, 2004
  6. frank ashton wrote:

    > there is in my 4 machines with xp pro

    and there is on mine too! It's my - I've been fiddling with the registry
    and the damn properties selection vanished entirely. Rest assured, I did
    actually check before posting, and at the time, there wasn't one :)

    My fault entirely.

    Moral of the story - Don't play with the Registry!

    (that, and don't listen to weyoun)

    Weyoun the Dancing Borg, Nov 19, 2004