Quick home networking questions

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Ernie Werbel, Jul 14, 2006.

  1. Ernie Werbel

    Ernie Werbel Guest

    Hi all. I am building a new computer and will be giving my current one to
    my mom. I want to network them together to share a DSL line, but I also
    want the possibility of adding 1 or 2 more computers in the future. I have
    always only used one computer and never done networking before. So my
    questions are as follows. I thank anyone in advance for their time.

    1.) What exactly do I need to get, and how to physically wire it?
    I am thinking [Phone line]---[DSL
    modem]---[router/splitter]----[computers...]

    2.) If I want to run a B.B.S. through the 56k modem (network goes thru
    Ethernet), so I need to install the filter on the 56k?

    3.) I will need to run about 80-ft of wire between the router and where my
    mom's computer will be. Wireless will not work with my setup. Is this too
    long or will it work?

    Thanks again for any help!
    Ernie

    Ernie Werbel, Jul 14, 2006

  2. Ernie Werbel

    pen Guest

    "Ernie Werbel" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all. I am building a new computer and will be giving my current
    > one to
    > my mom. I want to network them together to share a DSL line, but I
    > also
    > want the possibility of adding 1 or 2 more computers in the future. I
    > have
    > always only used one computer and never done networking before. So my
    > questions are as follows. I thank anyone in advance for their time.
    >
    > 1.) What exactly do I need to get, and how to physically wire it?
    > I am thinking [Phone line]---[DSL
    > modem]---[router/splitter]----[computers...]
    >
    > 2.) If I want to run a B.B.S. through the 56k modem (network goes thru
    > Ethernet), so I need to install the filter on the 56k?
    >
    > 3.) I will need to run about 80-ft of wire between the router and
    > where my
    > mom's computer will be. Wireless will not work with my setup. Is
    > this too
    > long or will it work?

    80 Feet is fine for ethernet. All you need is a router which usually has
    a 4 port
    switch incorporated into it.
    I'm not familiar with DSL so am unsure about how many filters you will
    need.

    pen, Jul 14, 2006

  3. Ernie Werbel

    bmoag Guest

    If you receive a self-installation kit for your DSL line the vendor will
    send a few AC plug filters and you can order more.
    It is far easier to network using wireless than it is to wire an existing
    structure. There is no difference in effective throughput using the "g"
    standard than there is for 100mbs ethernet for sharing a DSL line or sharing
    files. Many DSL providers automatically send a unit that is a combination
    DSL modem/router/wireless transmitter, e.g. Verizon. If you use wireless it
    is very simple to implement WEP/WAP security and you definitely should. It
    is not clear if you maintain or reference a dial up BBS--I did not think
    such things still existed in 2006. There is no difficulty at all using a
    modem with a DSL/wireless set up: I use mine to fax all the time.

    bmoag, Jul 14, 2006
  4. Ernie Werbel

    Ernie Werbel Guest

    Well I do need to wire it because the main computer will be in the basement
    with a lot of concrete and the other computers will be on the second floor,
    so the signals probably won't get through very well. I remember we used a
    wireless LAN at the shop where I worked and the signal always got lost even
    though the receiver was in a room adjacent to the shop. I can't imagine it
    would be any better in my home.

    The BBS will be used locally. It is still fun to play with on my IBM 5160!

    Thanks for your advice!

    Ernie

    Ernie Werbel, Jul 14, 2006
  5. Ernie Werbel

    rich Guest

    Yep, my SBC/ATT DSL setup included a combination modem & router. I could
    then work wireless any time I wanted, once everything was initially set up
    in wired mode.

    I plugged my combo scanner/printer into my "main" wired computer and I then
    networked it ... so I could call to print from the wireless notebook.
    Neat! RichG TX/IL

    rich, Jul 15, 2006
  6. Ernie Werbel

    - Bobb - Guest