    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    http://www.karyn.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 3, 2004

  2. Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 3, 2004

  3. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >> Anyone got a pice of VB or similar to a search and replace of HKLU.
    >> I've googled for it, but I dont really know where to start.

    > Found one.
    > http://windows.oreilly.com/news/win2kcommands_0401.html#regfind

    This being the string I am using.
    \\chatto\netlogon\Regfind.exe -p HKEY_CURRENT_USER -y \\kiwi -r \\dnfile01
    well, and this.
    \\chatto\netlogon\Regfind.exe -p HKEY_CURRENT_USER -y \\kiwi -r \\dnfile02

    just in .bat files heh.
    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 4, 2004
  4. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Mr Scebe Guest

    > Anyone got a pice of VB or similar to a search and replace of HKLU.
    >
    > We've Had a change in servers, and some(very few, but still enough to
    > annoy me) of the staff have got a few issues where their PCs dont appear
    > to be paying attention to the new policies(based on their groups in AD),
    > as to where their "my documents" and a few other things are stored.

    Have you tried to isolate what is causing it? Did you run a gpupdate /force
    to ensure that they are getting the latest policy? If you are running 2k3
    then you may want to try GPMC - it's pretty good at working through policy
    anomalies. You can download it here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...24-8CBD-4B35-9272-DD3CBFC81887&displaylang=en

    If you're still looking for scripts, i may have one, but you can also try
    cwashington.netreach.net There is quite a lot of good stuff on there.

    Cheers

    --
    Mr Scebe
    ~Sean Connery in "The Rock"

    Mr Scebe, Nov 4, 2004
  5. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Fishb8 Guest

    Hi Dave - I've got fridge full of VBs, but I'm doing a low-level purge to
    eliminate them.
    Roy

    Fishb8, Nov 4, 2004
  6. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Anyone got a pice of VB or similar to a search and replace of HKLU.
    >
    > We've Had a change in servers, and some(very few, but still enough to
    > annoy me) of the staff have got a few issues where their PCs dont appear
    > to be paying attention to the new policies(based on their groups in AD),
    > as to where their "my documents" and a few other things are stored.
    >
    > I've found that by doing a manual search and replace of the old for the
    > new server names in regedit, all is fine once more, but I was wondering
    > if anyone has made a piece of VB for doing this sort of thing or similar
    > that I could rip apart and modify?
    >
    > I've googled for it, but I dont really know where to start.

    All you need is a registry file to import.

    You should be able to load it in a logon script.

    REGEDIT4
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell
    Folders]
    "Personal"="H:\\.profile\\My Documents"
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
    Shell Folders]
    "Personal"="H:\\.profile\\My Documents"

    This changes the My Documents folder path.

    Patrick Dunford, Nov 4, 2004
  7. Mr Scebe wrote:
    > Have you tried to isolate what is causing it?

    most of the users that it is affecting are offsite, on slow(molasis on a
    cold day slow) links, this appears to be the only thing that ~90% of
    them have in common.

    > Did you run a gpupdate /force
    > to ensure that they are getting the latest policy?

    yes, it didn't appear to work on all of the offsite machines, but does
    on the test machines here.

    > If you are running 2k3
    > then you may want to try GPMC - it's pretty good at working through policy
    > anomalies. You can download it here:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...24-8CBD-4B35-9272-DD3CBFC81887&displaylang=en

    not using 2k3 yet... well, we are for some file servers, but nothing
    'critical' yet.

    > If you're still looking for scripts, i may have one, but you can also try
    > cwashington.netreach.net There is quite a lot of good stuff on there.

    nope, found one, well, found an exe provided by MS, and batch filed my
    way through the automation of it :)

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 4, 2004
  8. Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 4, 2004
  9. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >> If you are running 2k3
    >> then you may want to try GPMC - it's pretty good at working through
    >> policy
    >> anomalies. You can download it here:
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...24-8CBD-4B35-9272-DD3CBFC81887&displaylang=en
    >>

    > not using 2k3 yet... well, we are for some file servers, but nothing
    > 'critical' yet.

    GPMC will actually work on any version of the AD. Just that the tool
    needs to be run on a Win2k3 or WinXP machine

    Cheers
    Nathan

    Nathan Mercer, Nov 5, 2004
  10. Nathan Mercer wrote:
    >>> If you are running 2k3
    >>> then you may want to try GPMC - it's pretty good at working through
    >>> policy
    >>> anomalies. You can download it here:
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...24-8CBD-4B35-9272-DD3CBFC81887&displaylang=en

    >> not using 2k3 yet... well, we are for some file servers, but nothing
    >> 'critical' yet.

    > GPMC will actually work on any version of the AD. Just that the tool
    > needs to be run on a Win2k3 or WinXP machine

    ahh, well, dont have XP pn my work machine yet, will shortly, getting
    another new PC for some reason.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 7, 2004
  11. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Mr Scebe Guest

    "Nathan Mercer" <> wrote in message

    > GPMC will actually work on any version of the AD. Just that the tool
    > needs to be run on a Win2k3 or WinXP machine

    I stand corrected. Still a bloody useful tool all the same.

    --
    Mr Scebe
    ~Sean Connery in "The Rock"

    Mr Scebe, Nov 8, 2004
  12. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Mr Scebe Guest

    > Mr Scebe wrote:
    > > Have you tried to isolate what is causing it?

    > most of the users that it is affecting are offsite, on slow(molasis on a
    > cold day slow) links, this appears to be the only thing that ~90% of
    > them have in common.
    >
    > > Did you run a gpupdate /force
    > > to ensure that they are getting the latest policy?

    > yes, it didn't appear to work on all of the offsite machines, but does
    > on the test machines here.

    Check these articles out:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;227369
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;328991