Questions Regarding Vista OS

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by John Q Public, Jun 2, 2007.

  1. I have been using Win 98 for the last several years and knew pretty
    much how to keep my information secure. For example, I shredded files
    Windows sent to the Recent, Temp, History, Printer Spool folders,
    wiped the swap file at shut down, cleared empty disk space, emptied
    browser caches, used Scramdisk etc.

    Unfortunately, I was recently forced to buy a computer with Windows
    Vista Home Premium and I have no idea how to secure sensitive
    information on it or where Vista might be copying said information to.
    And of course, many of the security programs I was using before aren't
    compatible with Vista.

    Could anyone tell me what folders/files Vista might send sensitive
    info to so I can check and shred as needed?

    Are there any other security concerns I should be aware of with Vista?

    Also if anyone could tell me if the following programs will still work
    with Vista (thought I'd check before messing up the new OS) or has a
    counterpart that's compatible with Vista, I would be greatly
    appreciative:

    Scramdisk (is TrueCrypt the latest incarnation?)
    Access Denied (boot security)
    Directory Snoop
    Scorch
    Scour