Questions regarding Sony Cybershot DSC-P73 and Sony memory sticks

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Tongwer, Oct 21, 2004.

  1. Tongwer

    Tongwer Guest

    Hi,

    I'm thinking of buying a Sony Cybershot DSC-P73, which
    seems ideally suited to my purposes, e.g. nice quality
    photos at a decent price. However I've only ever owned
    digital cameras which takes SD cards and the like, and
    Sony products all seem to take memory sticks.
    Essentially I have two questions regarding memory
    sticks:

    1) - Does this camera only take memory sticks, e.g. will
    it not take SD cards?

    2) - Will a 'Sony MSH128.CE 128Mb Memory Stick "High
    Grade" with MagicGate' do the job with this camera?

    I'm sorry for the rather simple nature of the questions,
    but I can't seem to find what I'm after on Google or
    Google Groups. Thanks in advance for any help.
    Tongwer, Oct 21, 2004

  2. Tongwer wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm thinking of buying a Sony Cybershot DSC-P73, which
    > seems ideally suited to my purposes, e.g. nice quality
    > photos at a decent price. However I've only ever owned
    > digital cameras which takes SD cards and the like, and
    > Sony products all seem to take memory sticks.
    > Essentially I have two questions regarding memory
    > sticks:
    >
    > 1) - Does this camera only take memory sticks, e.g. will
    > it not take SD cards?

    It supports Memory Sticks only (my dscp72 does anyway and I don't think
    there has been any change with later models).

    > 2) - Will a 'Sony MSH128.CE 128Mb Memory Stick "High
    > Grade" with MagicGate' do the job with this camera?

    AFAIK any Memory Stick or Memory Stick Pro (including the Magic Gate one you
    mention) will work:

    I have:
    Sony Memory Stick 16MB
    Sony Memory Stick "MagicGate" 64 MB
    SanDisk Memory Stick Pro "MagicGate" 256MB

    I find the 256MB one a reasonably ideal size -- will hold about 150 Fine
    full size pictures with my camera(about the maximum day's worth for me). The
    change from 3.2 to 4 MegaPixel means that with the p73 the maximum is
    probably 125 or so and wouldn't advise anything smaller.

    --
    Brian Sullivan
    Random Musings - http://radio.weblogs.com/0127028/
    Brian Sullivan, Oct 21, 2004

  3. Tongwer

    Tongwer Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Tongwer wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I'm thinking of buying a Sony Cybershot DSC-P73, which
    > > seems ideally suited to my purposes, e.g. nice quality
    > > photos at a decent price. However I've only ever owned
    > > digital cameras which takes SD cards and the like, and
    > > Sony products all seem to take memory sticks.
    > > Essentially I have two questions regarding memory
    > > sticks:
    > >
    > > 1) - Does this camera only take memory sticks, e.g. will
    > > it not take SD cards?

    > It supports Memory Sticks only (my dscp72 does anyway and I don't think
    > there has been any change with later models).
    >

    > > 2) - Will a 'Sony MSH128.CE 128Mb Memory Stick "High
    > > Grade" with MagicGate' do the job with this camera?

    > AFAIK any Memory Stick or Memory Stick Pro (including the Magic Gate one you
    > mention) will work:
    >
    > I have:
    > Sony Memory Stick 16MB
    > Sony Memory Stick "MagicGate" 64 MB
    > SanDisk Memory Stick Pro "MagicGate" 256MB
    >

    > I find the 256MB one a reasonably ideal size -- will hold about 150 Fine
    > full size pictures with my camera(about the maximum day's worth for me). The
    > change from 3.2 to 4 MegaPixel means that with the p73 the maximum is
    > probably 125 or so and wouldn't advise anything smaller.

    Thanks very much for the fast and enlightening response!
    I may think again about getting a Sony as £50 for 256mb
    seems a little expensive. Thanks anyway.
    Tongwer, Oct 21, 2004
  4. I have always received extraordinarily good support from Sandisk. They stand
    by their products and are easy to work with
    Maria Ripanykhazova, Oct 21, 2004
  5. Tongwer

    SparkysDream Guest

    "Tongwer" <> wrote.......

    >> SanDisk Memory Stick Pro "MagicGate" 256MB

    > Thanks very much for the fast and enlightening response!
    > I may think again about getting a Sony as £50 for 256mb
    > seems a little expensive. Thanks anyway.

    £35 from ebuyer (inc vat + delivery)
    http://tinyurl.com/7x335
    SparkysDream, Oct 22, 2004
  6. Tongwer

    Tongwer Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > "Tongwer" <> wrote.......
    >
    > >> SanDisk Memory Stick Pro "MagicGate" 256MB

    > > Thanks very much for the fast and enlightening response!
    > > I may think again about getting a Sony as £50 for 256mb
    > > seems a little expensive. Thanks anyway.

    > £35 from ebuyer (inc vat + delivery)
    > http://tinyurl.com/7x335

    It's still £5 cheaper for an SD card with twice the
    capacity. I'm now leaning towards a G400 which has a
    slot for both memory formats anyway. Thanks for the help
    everyone!
    Tongwer, Oct 22, 2004