Questions regarding Nikon lens designations

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by greg, Aug 14, 2004.

  1. greg

    greg Guest

    Hi folks,

    I'm trying to learn more about Nikon lenses (the ones I have and the ones I
    don't). Some questions:

    1) I guess that ED glass is "better" than non-ED glass, but in what way? I
    ask because Nikon offers things like a 14mm f/2.8 ED lens ($1300), but they
    also offer a 28mm f/1.4 non-ED lens ($1695). An f/1.4 lens is a pretty good
    lens, no? And $1700 isn't cheap. So what AREN'T they getting with this
    non-ED lens?

    2) What does "IF" mean? And therefore, what is the difference between ED
    lenses, IF lenses, and ED-IF lenses?

    3) On the Nikon website lens listing, some lenses are listed as ED-IF
    (300mm f/2.8 ED-IF) and some are IF-ED (400mm f/2.8 IF-ED). Is there a
    difference, or just a typo?

    4) I understand the difference between AF and AF-S lenses. But what is the
    difference between AF-S and AF-S II lenses?

    Thanks so much!
    greg, Aug 14, 2004

  2. greg

    George Guest

    "greg" <> wrote in message
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > I'm trying to learn more about Nikon lenses (the ones I have and the ones

    > don't). Some questions:
    >
    > 1) I guess that ED glass is "better" than non-ED glass, but in what way?

    > ask because Nikon offers things like a 14mm f/2.8 ED lens ($1300), but

    they
    > also offer a 28mm f/1.4 non-ED lens ($1695). An f/1.4 lens is a pretty

    good
    > lens, no? And $1700 isn't cheap. So what AREN'T they getting with this
    > non-ED lens?
    >
    > 2) What does "IF" mean? And therefore, what is the difference between ED
    > lenses, IF lenses, and ED-IF lenses?
    >
    > 3) On the Nikon website lens listing, some lenses are listed as ED-IF
    > (300mm f/2.8 ED-IF) and some are IF-ED (400mm f/2.8 IF-ED). Is there a
    > difference, or just a typo?
    >
    > 4) I understand the difference between AF and AF-S lenses. But what is

    the
    > difference between AF-S and AF-S II lenses?
    >
    > Thanks so much!

    IF = Internal Focus (lens doesn't change length as you focus)
    ED = Extra-low Dispersion glass (elements can be thinner but must be to
    higher tolerances, that, plus material cost causes greater cost)
    George, Aug 14, 2004

    Why not ask Nikon directly?

    Michael Scarpitti, Aug 15, 2004
  4. "greg" <> writes:

    > Hi folks,
    >
    > I'm trying to learn more about Nikon lenses (the ones I have and the ones I
    > don't). Some questions:
    >
    > 1) I guess that ED glass is "better" than non-ED glass, but in what way? I
    > ask because Nikon offers things like a 14mm f/2.8 ED lens ($1300), but they
    > also offer a 28mm f/1.4 non-ED lens ($1695). An f/1.4 lens is a pretty good
    > lens, no? And $1700 isn't cheap. So what AREN'T they getting with this
    > non-ED lens?

    ED glass is "extra-low dispersion". Combining glass with different
    dispersion characteristics in the same design is how "acromatic" and
    later "apochromatic" lenses (various degrees of claims to be without
    color fringing) are designed.

    Stumbled across this site while verifying a couple of these, you may
    find it useful
    <http://www.maxwell.com.au/photo/nikon/nikkor/nomenclature/>.

    > 2) What does "IF" mean? And therefore, what is the difference between ED
    > lenses, IF lenses, and ED-IF lenses?

    Internal focus. Means the lens doesn't change size, I believe. Not
    important for anything I can think of.

    > 3) On the Nikon website lens listing, some lenses are listed as ED-IF
    > (300mm f/2.8 ED-IF) and some are IF-ED (400mm f/2.8 IF-ED). Is there a
    > difference, or just a typo?

    Dunno.

    > 4) I understand the difference between AF and AF-S lenses. But what is the
    > difference between AF-S and AF-S II lenses?

    Also dunno.

    (And the site I mentioned doesn't seem to know either.)
    David Dyer-Bennet, Aug 15, 2004