    individual computer system if the motherboard sometime down the road gets
    fried. Also I change components more than average so how restrictive is it?
    Thanks in advance.

    ** Frank **, Apr 9, 2007

  2. **    Frank    **

    Jerry Attic Guest

    "** Frank **" <> said in
    news::

    > What's the difference between the retail and OEM Windows Vista
    > package? Don't care about phone support.

    Nothing, except you already know about no support for M$. Considering their
    tech support SUCKS, it shouldn't matter then.

    > I want to buy the OEM 3 user license but don't want to be locked into
    > the individual computer system if the motherboard sometime down the
    > road gets fried. Also I change components more than average so how
    > restrictive is it? Thanks in advance.

    If it's anything like XP, it will be a pain in the ass.

    Jerry

    Jerry Attic, Apr 9, 2007

  3. **    Frank    **

    Flyer Guest

    "** Frank **" <> wrote in message
    > What's the difference between the retail and OEM Windows Vista package?
    > Don't care about phone support.
    >
    > I want to buy the OEM 3 user license but don't want to be locked into the
    > individual computer system if the motherboard sometime down the road gets
    > fried. Also I change components more than average so how restrictive is
    > it? Thanks in advance.

    strictly speaking, my understanding is, the OEM version is tied to the pc
    you install it on. The retail version can be installed on any pc, but only
    one pc.

    P.

    Flyer, Apr 9, 2007
  4. **    Frank    **

    Flying Rat Guest

    In article <Xns990D1A79574CEicantwank@217.22.228.20>,
    0m says...
    > "** Frank **" <> said in
    >
    > > What's the difference between the retail and OEM Windows Vista
    > > package? Don't care about phone support.

    > Nothing, except you already know about no support for M$. Considering their
    > tech support SUCKS, it shouldn't matter then.

    OEM is supposed to be supported by the PC builder, so if you buy one
    from McDangle Computers and have problems with Vista then you ring them
    and not Microsoft. So if you use OEM versions as a self-builder then you
    support it yourself.

    > > I want to buy the OEM 3 user license but don't want to be locked into
    > > the individual computer system if the motherboard sometime down the
    > > road gets fried. Also I change components more than average so how
    > > restrictive is it? Thanks in advance.

    > If it's anything like XP, it will be a pain in the ass.

    it's supposed to be considerably worse. Vista is apparently much more
    anal about hardware changes.

    FR

    Flying Rat, Apr 9, 2007
  5. **    Frank    **

    Flirt Guest

    "** Frank **" <> wrote in message
    > What's the difference between the retail and OEM Windows Vista package?
    > Don't care about phone support.
    >
    > I want to buy the OEM 3 user license but don't want to be locked into the
    > individual computer system if the motherboard sometime down the road gets
    > fried. Also I change components more than average so how restrictive is
    > it? Thanks in advance.

    You cannot buy an OEM version of Vista. (Unless you are thinking
    of one of those dubious ebay offers?)
    The OEM version is a license for bulk manufacturers to pre-install
    a version of Vista on a product range. And it is locked to that model.
    With MS Vista in all it's incarnations, once installed is also locked to
    use on one PC, But of course upgrading is permitted, there are the
    usual validation tools etc. in your example of a MoBo upgrade, this
    is an example but here in UK, if purchasing a new MB from the likes
    of PC World etc, at time, they have a database, you enter your key,
    the next scan of win update and it will reference that database etc.
    And as with XP, major changes may require a phonecall.

    Flirt, Apr 9, 2007
  6. **    Frank    **

    Shoo Guest

    ** Frank ** wrote:
    > What's the difference between the retail and OEM Windows Vista
    > package? Don't care about phone support.
    > I want to buy the OEM 3 user license but don't want to be locked into
    > the individual computer system if the motherboard sometime down the
    > road gets fried. Also I change components more than average so how
    > restrictive is it? Thanks in advance.

    From
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/buyorupgrade/activationfaq.mspx

    "The Windows Vista re-activation process may vary based on how you acquired
    Windows Vista. For example:

    a.. If you acquired Windows Vista via retail purchase (boxed product) or
    pre-installed on a computer from a local computer vendor, Windows Vista will
    require re-activation if you, for example:

    a.. Replace the hard disk drive and memory at the same time.

    b.. Replace the motherboard."

    From personal experience if you make a lot of changes or reinstal frequently
    you may have to ring up for activation.
    They ask why you need to reactivate and how many computers you have the
    product installed on.
    You reply "I changed the motherboard or whatever" and "only one computer"
    then they give you a very long code to write down and key in.

    Shoo, Apr 9, 2007
  7. **    Frank    **

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-04-09, Shoo <> wrote:
    > ** Frank ** wrote:
    >> What's the difference between the retail and OEM Windows Vista
    >> package? Don't care about phone support.
    >> I want to buy the OEM 3 user license but don't want to be locked into
    >> the individual computer system if the motherboard sometime down the
    >> road gets fried. Also I change components more than average so how
    >> restrictive is it? Thanks in advance.

    > From
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/buyorupgrade/activationfaq.mspx
    >
    > "The Windows Vista re-activation process may vary based on how you acquired
    > Windows Vista. For example:
    >
    > a.. If you acquired Windows Vista via retail purchase (boxed product) or
    > pre-installed on a computer from a local computer vendor, Windows Vista will
    > require re-activation if you, for example:
    >
    > a.. Replace the hard disk drive and memory at the same time.
    >
    > b.. Replace the motherboard."
    >
    > From personal experience if you make a lot of changes or reinstal frequently
    > you may have to ring up for activation.
    > They ask why you need to reactivate and how many computers you have the
    > product installed on.
    > You reply "I changed the motherboard or whatever" and "only one computer"
    > then they give you a very long code to write down and key in.

    Sheesh. People actually put up with this sort of thing /and/ pay for it?
    I thought the EULA for Windows 98SE was pretty ghastly, but it was
    positively libertarian compared with that.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Apr 9, 2007
  8. **    Frank    **

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Flirt" <> wrote in message

    > "** Frank **" <> wrote in message
    >> What's the difference between the retail and OEM Windows Vista package?
    >> Don't care about phone support.
    >>
    >> I want to buy the OEM 3 user license but don't want to be locked into the
    >> individual computer system if the motherboard sometime down the road gets
    >> fried. Also I change components more than average so how restrictive is
    >> it? Thanks in advance.
    >>

    > You cannot buy an OEM version of Vista.

    Wrong. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2087792,00.asp

    I did.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Description=vista oem

    WhzzKdd, Apr 9, 2007
  9. **    Frank    **

    Flirt Guest

    > "Flirt" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "** Frank **" <> wrote in message
    >>> What's the difference between the retail and OEM Windows Vista package?
    >>> Don't care about phone support.
    >>>
    >>> I want to buy the OEM 3 user license but don't want to be locked into
    >>> the individual computer system if the motherboard sometime down the road
    >>> gets fried. Also I change components more than average so how
    >>> restrictive is it? Thanks in advance.
    >>>

    >> You cannot buy an OEM version of Vista.

    > Wrong. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2087792,00.asp
    >
    > I did.
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Description=vista oem

    I stand corrected.

    Flirt, Apr 9, 2007
  10. **    Frank    **

    thanatoid Guest

    Anyone who installs Vista is insane.

    thanatoid, Apr 9, 2007
  11. **    Frank    **

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Flirt" <> wrote in message

    > "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote in message
    >> "Flirt" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "** Frank **" <> wrote in message

    >>> You cannot buy an OEM version of Vista.

    >> Wrong. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2087792,00.asp
    >>
    >> I did.
    >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Description=vista oem
    >>

    > I stand corrected.

    No problem. I've been buying the OEM versions for years, even though I
    don't build that many systems.

    Now I'm pissed at myself for going cheap and buying the Premium instead of
    the Ultimate version for my home PC. I found out (too late) that Novell's
    Netware client for Vista doesn't support the Basic or Premium versions, so I
    can't connect to the company's VPN. The M$ "Windows Anytime Upgrade" isn't
    available anywhere (that I've found) for less than $159, so M$ has screwed
    me again.

    WhzzKdd, Apr 9, 2007
  12. **    Frank    **

    ** Frank ** Guest

    "thanatoid" <> wrote in message
    > Anyone who installs Vista is insane.

    Than what operating system do you use? If you don't use windows do you find
    it difficult to install new hardware without the included drivers? And then
    what about the productivity software and new games that's written for
    windows only?

    ** Frank **, Apr 10, 2007
  13. **    Frank    **

    thanatoid Guest

    "** Frank **" <> wrote in

    > "thanatoid" <> wrote in message
    >> Anyone who installs Vista is insane.

    > Than what operating system do you use? If you don't use
    > windows do you find it difficult to install new hardware
    > without the included drivers? And then what about the
    > productivity software and new games that's written for
    > windows only?

    I have been using win95B on this nine and a half years old P1-
    166MHz computer with 64MB RAM VERY happily until I got into
    mp3's and found out that it took me 3 hours to convert a song
    from wav to mp3 or vice versa. Shortly afterwards, I bought a
    used P4-2GHz/256RAM and installed Win98SELite on it.

    Now it takes 2 minutes or less to convert a song. That was
    pretty much the only reason I bought the second machine, because
    I love music and do a lot of fiddling with it. That 2nd machine
    is not even connected to the internet. Anything I want to do on
    the internet this 9.5 year old machine does JUST FINE.

    I'm not sure what YOUR definition of "productivity" is, but
    AFAIAC, the only productivity software anyone (except corporate
    goons) needs can be found on

    http://www.xtort.net/office-and-productivity/floppy-office/

    and I personally don't even use a fifth of what's on there.

    I have MS Office 97 and installed a large chunk of it once when
    I needed to design and work with an Access database for a while.
    Once that was done, I happily removed every trace of Office 97
    from my machine. In fact, there is NO Microsoft software on
    either of my computers except for the OS's.

    Also, I am not a gamer. I *do* have a *few* games, but the
    newest one is about 2 years old and runs more or less OK (no
    reflections or smoke) on the P4 machine. All the others are
    quite a bit older and most run fairly well even on the P166 let
    alone on the P4.

    Gamers MAY need Vista, especially once everyone starts writing
    games ONLY for Vista, but one could make a good argument for
    gamers being insane, too. ;-)

    (FWIW, IMO 99% of all the "new" games that have come out in the
    last 5-10 years are largely superbloat rewrites of games which
    were invented in the 80's and 90's - with lots of boring eye
    candy and multimedia content added for no good reason except
    tempting temptation. A 4KB version of Asteroids is as much fun
    to play as a 4GB version of it with a different name.)

    Regards
    t.

    thanatoid, Apr 10, 2007
  14. **    Frank    **

    thanatoid Guest

    > "Flirt" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote in message
    >>> "Flirt" <> wrote in message

    >>> Wrong.
    >>> http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2087792,00.asp
    >>>
    >>> I did.
    >>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&
    >>> DEPA=0&Description=vista+oem
    >>>

    >> I stand corrected.

    > No problem. I've been buying the OEM versions for years,
    > even though I don't build that many systems.
    >
    > Now I'm pissed at myself for going cheap and buying the
    > Premium instead of the Ultimate version for my home PC. I
    > found out (too late) that Novell's Netware client for Vista
    > doesn't support the Basic or Premium versions, so I can't
    > connect to the company's VPN. The M$ "Windows Anytime
    > Upgrade" isn't available anywhere (that I've found) for
    > less than $159, so M$ has screwed me again.

    Sorry to hear about your plight, but are a guy with a wooden
    stick and no magic spells who is facing a rather large and
    wealthy dragon with 20 years experience screwing everyone in the
    universe.

    thanatoid, Apr 10, 2007
  15. **    Frank    **

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "thanatoid" <> wrote in message
    > "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote in
    >
    >> "Flirt" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote in message

    >>> I stand corrected.

    >> No problem. I've been buying the OEM versions for years,
    >> even though I don't build that many systems.
    >>
    >> Now I'm pissed at myself for going cheap and buying the
    >> Premium instead of the Ultimate version for my home PC. I
    >> found out (too late) that Novell's Netware client for Vista
    >> doesn't support the Basic or Premium versions, so I can't
    >> connect to the company's VPN. The M$ "Windows Anytime
    >> Upgrade" isn't available anywhere (that I've found) for
    >> less than $159, so M$ has screwed me again.

    > Sorry to hear about your plight, but are a guy with a wooden
    > stick and no magic spells who is facing a rather large and
    > wealthy dragon with 20 years experience screwing everyone in the
    > universe.

    Heh! Can't argue that.

    WhzzKdd, Apr 10, 2007
  16. **    Frank    **

    WhzzKdd Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >>Now I'm pissed at myself for going cheap and buying the Premium instead of
    >>the Ultimate version for my home PC. I found out (too late) that Novell's
    >>Netware client for Vista doesn't support the Basic or Premium versions, so
    >>can't connect to the company's VPN. The M$ "Windows Anytime Upgrade" isn't
    >>available anywhere (that I've found) for less than $159, so M$ has screwed
    >>me again.

    > Microsoft North American Retail Product Refund Guidelines
    > http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/productrefund/refund.asp

    The problem is with the OEM software coming pre-installed on the laptop.
    That doesn't qualify for the return/refund. So my options are: buy WinXP Pro
    and install that instead (fortunately drivers are all available for this
    model), or buy the upgrade to Ultimate.

    Actually, I'm pretty pissed at Novell as well. They made it difficult to
    find the information on their support for Vista. I found it /after/ I bought
    the laptop. And, unlike XP where their Netware client works on the home
    version, they don't appear to be planning on supporting the lower versions
    of Vista.

    While I don't *need* to be running Vista, I do need to stay on top of the
    changes in order to be able to provide the support I'm expected to offer at
    work and with friends/family etc. who obviously will end up with Vista soon
    enough as well. So getting the laptop with Vista seemed like a good idea at
    the time <grin>

    WhzzKdd, Apr 10, 2007
  17. **    Frank    **

    Guest

    "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:

    >Now I'm pissed at myself for going cheap and buying the Premium instead of
    >the Ultimate version for my home PC. I found out (too late) that Novell's
    >Netware client for Vista doesn't support the Basic or Premium versions, so I
    >can't connect to the company's VPN. The M$ "Windows Anytime Upgrade" isn't
    >available anywhere (that I've found) for less than $159, so M$ has screwed
    >me again.

    Microsoft North American Retail Product Refund Guidelines
    http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/productrefund/refund.asp

    --
    http://youneed2see.com/web/137/StumbleUpon_Sundays_(Pictures)

    , Apr 10, 2007
  18. **    Frank    **

    Shoo Guest

    "** Frank **" <> wrote in message
    > What's the difference between the retail and OEM Windows Vista package?
    > Don't care about phone support.

    Another difference additional to what has previously mentioned is that the
    ultimate retail comes with 64 bit and 32 bit media.
    The lesser versions offer a mail in for the 64 bit media.
    OEM is either 32 or 64 bit

    Shoo, Apr 10, 2007
  19. **    Frank    **

    ** Frank ** Guest

    "Shoo" <> wrote in message
    > ** Frank ** wrote:
    >> What's the difference between the retail and OEM Windows Vista
    >> package? Don't care about phone support.
    >> I want to buy the OEM 3 user license but don't want to be locked into
    >> the individual computer system if the motherboard sometime down the
    >> road gets fried. Also I change components more than average so how
    >> restrictive is it? Thanks in advance.

    > From
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/buyorupgrade/activationfaq.mspx
    >
    > "The Windows Vista re-activation process may vary based on how you
    > acquired
    > Windows Vista. For example:
    >
    > a.. If you acquired Windows Vista via retail purchase (boxed product) or
    > pre-installed on a computer from a local computer vendor, Windows Vista
    > will
    > require re-activation if you, for example:
    >
    > a.. Replace the hard disk drive and memory at the same time.
    >
    > b.. Replace the motherboard."
    >
    > From personal experience if you make a lot of changes or reinstal
    > frequently you may have to ring up for activation.
    > They ask why you need to reactivate and how many computers you have the
    > product installed on.
    > You reply "I changed the motherboard or whatever" and "only one computer"
    > then they give you a very long code to write down and key in.

    One of my XP machines crashed the other day so I reinstalled XP but didn't
    activate it until I found out what's wrong with it. Hardware had not been
    touched for over six months so I didn't think I would have problems activate
    it later. In the course of troubleshooting I replaced a graphics card and
    reset the jumpers on the hard drive, removed and reinstalled the floppy
    drive. Minor changes, so I thought, with no new hardware except with the
    graphics card but ended up needed to phone in for reactivation to some
    foreign guy with a heavy accent over in India. Should have activated it
    first than do the changes after. From what I heard, Vista is even more of a
    PITA.

    ** Frank **, Apr 10, 2007
  20. **    Frank    **

    ** Frank ** Guest

    Shortly afterwards, I bought a
    > used P4-2GHz/256RAM and installed Win98SELite on it.
    >
    > Now it takes 2 minutes or less to convert a song.

    You should be able to do it in a few seconds. I could convert a few albums
    in about 2 minutes and burn a full movie in 5 minutes with an Athlon 2600+
    (about the same speed as you P4?) with Win XP.

    ** Frank **, Apr 10, 2007