Questions on Network Connection properties

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ECLiPSE 2002, Aug 4, 2005.

  1. ECLiPSE 2002

    ECLiPSE 2002 Guest

    I recently read an article on speeding up windows and was interested
    in comments made regarding Network Connections settings that may slow
    down windows.

    I have Win XP home ed. on a Compaq desktop and use Comcast for my
    cable ISP and connect using a VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter.

    When I look at the Local Area Connection Properties I see that I have
    4 check boxes:

    Client for Microsoft Network

    File&Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks

    QoS Packet Schedule

    Internet Protocol TCP/IP

    All are checked and I wonder if it is necessary that the first three
    be checked - I only use Comcast exclusively and have no other network
    activites.

    I also have a 1394 Connection and under properties I have 4 check
    boxes with all but QoS Packet Schedule checked.

    My question _ can any of these be unchecked?

    Thanks for any guidance,

    Frank
    ECLiPSE 2002, Aug 4, 2005

  2. ECLiPSE 2002

    Chris G. Guest

    You can uncheck File&Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks and QoS Packet
    Scheduler.

    Chris G., Aug 4, 2005

  3. ECLiPSE 2002

    Duane Arnold Guest

    ECLiPSE 2002 wrote:

    > I recently read an article on speeding up windows and was interested
    > in comments made regarding Network Connections settings that may slow
    > down windows.
    >
    > I have Win XP home ed. on a Compaq desktop and use Comcast for my
    > cable ISP and connect using a VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter.
    >
    > When I look at the Local Area Connection Properties I see that I have
    > 4 check boxes:
    >
    > Client for Microsoft Network
    >
    > File&Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
    >
    > QoS Packet Schedule
    >
    > Internet Protocol TCP/IP
    >
    > All are checked and I wonder if it is necessary that the first three
    > be checked - I only use Comcast exclusively and have no other network
    > activites.
    >
    > I also have a 1394 Connection and under properties I have 4 check
    > boxes with all but QoS Packet Schedule checked.
    >
    > My question _ can any of these be unchecked?
    >

    > Thanks for any guidance,

    I suggest you figure out how to secure the XP O/S from attack for a single
    machine that's doing a direct connection to the Internet, instead trying to
    mess around with services and protocols trying to speed-up a *broadband*
    connection.

    Things like disabling F&PS for MS networks if you're not sharing resources
    with other MS O/S machines in a Local Area Network (LAN) you have created.

    http://labmice.techtarget.com/articles/winxpsecuritychecklist.htm

    http://www.dslreports.com/faq/3688

    Everything else you have talked about, you should just leave it alone.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Aug 4, 2005
  4. ECLiPSE 2002

    ECLiPSE 2002 Guest

    Thanks to responders for the input

    Frank
    ECLiPSE 2002, Aug 5, 2005
  5. ECLiPSE 2002

    ECLiPSE 2002 Guest

    Thanks for the response and input guys.

    Frank

    ECLiPSE 2002, Aug 5, 2005
  6. ECLiPSE 2002

    Pat Guest

    On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 18:49:26 -0400, ECLiPSE 2002 <>
    wrote:

    >Thanks for the response and input guys.
    >
    >Frank
    >

    >On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 11:49:21 -0400, ECLiPSE 2002 <>
    >wrote:
    >

    >>I recently read an article on speeding up windows and was interested
    >>in comments made regarding Network Connections settings that may slow
    >>down windows.
    >>
    >>I have Win XP home ed. on a Compaq desktop and use Comcast for my
    >>cable ISP and connect using a VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter.
    >>
    >>When I look at the Local Area Connection Properties I see that I have
    >>4 check boxes:
    >>
    >>Client for Microsoft Network
    >>
    >>File&Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
    >>
    >>QoS Packet Schedule
    >>
    >>Internet Protocol TCP/IP
    >>
    >>All are checked and I wonder if it is necessary that the first three
    >>be checked - I only use Comcast exclusively and have no other network
    >>activites.
    >>
    >>I also have a 1394 Connection and under properties I have 4 check
    >>boxes with all but QoS Packet Schedule checked.
    >>
    >>My question _ can any of these be unchecked?
    >>

    >>Thanks for any guidance,
    >>
    >>Frank

    You might take a look at this page:
    http://www.grc.com/su-explain.htm
    It explains the various protocols used in Windows and which are needed and
    which should be disabled.

    --
    Pat
    It's not a bug, it's a feature