    Would like your thoughts.

    Thanks so much
    Joe
    Joe Donaldson, Nov 24, 2003

  2. Joe Donaldson

    Ron Baird Guest

    Joe,

    I have that camera on my desk. Interesting. I really like the large files
    and the quality of the camera. Easy to use as well. You need the CCS and
    PTSSVC files. Not sure about SCSI as the camera is not a SCSI device. I
    have used Ofoto, and I have to tell you that the prints are awesomely good.
    I think they are running a special feature, so if you have the chance to
    capture an image with DX4530, you can get a print. Great stuff. With that
    camera you can get a 20 x 30 inch print of really good quality.

    Talk to you soon, Joe, let me know if you have any questions.

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, Nov 24, 2003

  3. Thanks Ron.
    I called Kodak 3 times today about a few issues.
    Perhaps you can comment on these.

    BATTERY CHARGING:
    If I remove the camera from the docking/recharge (II) station and then
    reinsert the camera-only the first recharge light comes on. After
    perhaps an hour or more, the rest of the lights will. I can repeat
    this process over and over again.
    You would think that the docking station would know the rechargeable
    NImH battery is already charged. But it does not.
    I checked with a friend of mine who has a Nikon 4300 and his does the
    same thing.

    Parallax/Viewfinder-WHAT YOU SEE IS NOT WHAT YOU GET:
    Found there is a big difference in looking through the viewfinder
    versus what the picture that is taken. In other words, since it is not
    an SLR-it will take some getting used to, to determine what will be in
    the frame in the final picture and what will not. I was hoping to turn
    off the LCD to save battery power but I found that what I thought was
    in te picture (full body of a person), cut the person off at the
    knees.

    MACRO USE
    Was told that the wide/zoom should not matter when you are in macro
    mode. So I guess I should ask--where should you leave the lens?

    Also was told that Macro does not work well with the flash.

    And finally noticed that at least inside my house (have not tried
    outside) I get the orange/amber light when pressing shutter button
    down 1/2 way. Never get a green light while in macro mode.
    I was trying to take an upclose picture of a book, my dogs eye
    (silly-just playin), but it seemed out of focus.

    Thanks for any advice.

    I will try to duplicate the macro pics of a dollar bill and some coins
    on saw on the imaging resource.com (forget name) site that had a
    review of the camera.

    Thanks so much,
    Joe

    Joe Donaldson, Nov 25, 2003
  4. Joe Donaldson

    Ron Baird Guest

    > Thanks Ron.
    > I called Kodak 3 times today about a few issues.
    > Perhaps you can comment on these.
    >
    > BATTERY CHARGING:
    > If I remove the camera from the docking/recharge (II) station and then
    > reinsert the camera-only the first recharge light comes on. After
    > perhaps an hour or more, the rest of the lights will. I can repeat
    > this process over and over again.
    > You would think that the docking station would know the rechargeable
    > NImH battery is already charged. But it does not.
    > I checked with a friend of mine who has a Nikon 4300 and his does the
    > same thing.

    I can understand the frustration. Actually, in review of another post I
    think you may be trying to charge individual batteries and not the included
    battery pack. There is a difference in that the band that combines the
    batteries also triggers the charging unit. This may be happening to you?
    If that is the case you need to either use the battery pack (recommended
    since you have a dock) or charge the batteries in a separate battery
    charger.

    > Parallax/Viewfinder-WHAT YOU SEE IS NOT WHAT YOU GET:
    > Found there is a big difference in looking through the viewfinder
    > versus what the picture that is taken. In other words, since it is not
    > an SLR-it will take some getting used to, to determine what will be in
    > the frame in the final picture and what will not. I was hoping to turn
    > off the LCD to save battery power but I found that what I thought was
    > in te picture (full body of a person), cut the person off at the
    > knees.

    You experiencing parralax viewing - something that has been around since the
    viewfinder was invented. What happens is a differing result when you get
    close to your subject. What you see in the viewfinder is not the same as
    what is seen by the lens so there is some disparity. This was one of the
    reasons why the SLR was created. In cases where you are close to a subject,
    it is suggested that you use the LCD panel on your camera to be sure you see
    what the camera lens is seeing.

    > MACRO USE
    > Was told that the wide/zoom should not matter when you are in macro
    > mode. So I guess I should ask--where should you leave the lens?

    > Also was told that Macro does not work well with the flash.

    Depending on which camera you have, if you are inside the flash range, i.e.
    closer than the suggested range of the flash, then it can cause some
    overexposure. On some models, the flash will not fire upon a closeup
    setting. If you are going to taking pictures of subjects you want to be
    close, I suggest you use the telephoto setting so you can move back to stay
    inside the flash range yet get the composition you want of the subject you
    want to capture. Works for most situations, but experiment a little to see
    how it works for your situation.

    > And finally noticed that at least inside my house (have not tried
    > outside) I get the orange/amber light when pressing shutter button
    > down 1/2 way. Never get a green light while in macro mode.
    > I was trying to take an upclose picture of a book, my dogs eye
    > (silly-just playin), but it seemed out of focus.

    Your camera has its limits, so I suggest you review the specs on it. Try
    some techniques like the one I noted to see if you can get good results
    while still staying inside the parameters of a good exposure. I have
    captured the relative information below.

    When using the Macro setting:
    With the camera set to wide you should stay inside the following distance =
    7-70 cm (2.8-27.6 in.)
    With the camera set to Tele you should stay inside the following distance =
    28-70 cm (11-27.6 in.)
    In neither case should you go beyond the 27.6 inches distance or you will be
    out of the focus range.

    The flash range of the camera is as follows:
    Wide = 0.6 > 3.4 meters (2 >11.2 feet)
    Tele = 0.6 > 2.0 meters (2-6.6 feet)

    The reason this changes is due to the changes in the aperture when you move
    from wide to tele (the aperture gets smaller).

    Keeping these facts in mind will help you get better results from the
    camera. But, let me know if you have any questions. I am usually around.

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, Nov 26, 2003
  5. Great info. Will practice with camera over the holidays.
    Thanks so much
    Joe.

    Joe Donaldson, Nov 27, 2003