    420 (T) mm, given that 420 / 35 is also 12?

    TIA and Regards,
    Edwin
    E11, Dec 20, 2005

  2. E11

    PanHandler Guest

    "E11" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Got a question on focal length. (i'm keen on getting the Canon
    > PowerShot S2 IS, so will be using this camera as reference to
    > understand more about those specs.)
    >
    > The camera has a focal length of 36 (W) - 432 (T) mm. Now, i
    > understand that 432 / 36 give it its 12x optical zoom, but how would it
    > be different from another camera with a focal length of, say, 35 (W) -
    > 420 (T) mm, given that 420 / 35 is also 12?

    Same thing.
    PanHandler, Dec 20, 2005

  3. E11

    Scott W Guest

    E11 wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Got a question on focal length. (i'm keen on getting the Canon
    > PowerShot S2 IS, so will be using this camera as reference to
    > understand more about those specs.)
    >
    > The camera has a focal length of 36 (W) - 432 (T) mm. Now, i
    > understand that 432 / 36 give it its 12x optical zoom, but how would it
    > be different from another camera with a focal length of, say, 35 (W) -
    > 420 (T) mm, given that 420 / 35 is also 12?
    >

    > TIA and Regards,
    > Edwin

    Let's take a bit more exterm case, say one camera being from 18 to 216
    and the other from 36 to 432. They both are 12 to 1 but the 18 - 216
    goes much more wide angle and the 36 - 432 goes much more telephoto.

    Scott
    Scott W, Dec 20, 2005
  4. E11

    Tesco News Guest

    "E11" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Got a question on focal length. (i'm keen on getting the Canon
    > PowerShot S2 IS, so will be using this camera as reference to
    > understand more about those specs.)
    >
    > The camera has a focal length of 36 (W) - 432 (T) mm. Now, i
    > understand that 432 / 36 give it its 12x optical zoom, but how would it
    > be different from another camera with a focal length of, say, 35 (W) -
    > 420 (T) mm, given that 420 / 35 is also 12?
    >

    > TIA and Regards,
    > Edwin

    The 12x, or 3x, or whatever, is a totally irelevant factor as far as taking
    pictures is concerned. It only compares the focal length at wide angle to
    the focal length at telephoto for that particular lens.

    You could have a 2x zoom which would have a longer focal length at telephoto
    than a 12x. Or you could have a 2x which would have a shorter focal length
    at wide than a 12x.

    The only thing that is of any use, is knowing what the focal lengths
    actually are, (with digital we need to know the 35mm equivalents before we
    can compare - unless we are into mathematics).

    The examples you quote are so similar as to be meaningless. Focal lengths
    of 35mm & 36mm are for all practical photographic purposes identical.

    Roy G
    Tesco News, Dec 20, 2005
  5. "E11" <> writes:

    > Got a question on focal length. (i'm keen on getting the Canon
    > PowerShot S2 IS, so will be using this camera as reference to
    > understand more about those specs.)
    >
    > The camera has a focal length of 36 (W) - 432 (T) mm. Now, i
    > understand that 432 / 36 give it its 12x optical zoom, but how would it
    > be different from another camera with a focal length of, say, 35 (W) -
    > 420 (T) mm, given that 420 / 35 is also 12?

    It doesn't claim to have a focal length of 36mm-432mm, though; it
    claims to have a "35mm-equivalent" focal length of that.

    Setting that aside (since you're comparing the 35mm-equivalent focal
    lengths of different cameras, it's mostly a nit; the numbers you're
    comparing are really comparable)....

    The smaller the focal length number, the wider the field of view. The
    difference between 35mm and 36mm is pretty trivial, though, as is the
    difference between 420 and 432.

    On the other hand, the difference between 24mm and 35mm is *not*
    trivial at all. (24mm has an 84 degree diagonal angle, 35mm has a 63
    degree diagonal angle).
    David Dyer-Bennet, Dec 20, 2005