Questions on 800 series ADSL router

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Bill, Aug 9, 2006.

  1. Bill

    Bill Guest

    We've had a Cisco 800 series ADSL router installed on out DSL line for a
    year or so now and I need to change a couple of port forwarding settings.
    Initialy the phone company set up a few for me and I haven't had to change
    them until now. I'd like to do it myself so that in the future if I have
    more changes I can change them instead of having the phone company do it
    for me. Here comes the kicker, the original settings were done using a
    telnet session, I tried to use the web admin page on the router and managed
    to bolix it up so completely, who knew enabling PAT would reset something
    else, that I had to have the phone company get in and fix it. Took them 2
    days to do it and management was screaming. What I need to know is how can
    I back up the entire router so that if I screw up I can just redump the
    settings back in and get back up and running ASAP. I remember the original
    installer telling me something about the telnet session and recording the
    settings to a file that I could just play back into the telnet session and
    reset everything but I do not remember exactly how. The main reason I never
    played with the router before is that I never could remember how I was told
    to back it up in the first place and I'd really like to do this now so I
    can play with VPN and other port forwarding stuff without having to worry
    about getting billed for my screwups ;) Can anyone give me a short
    tutorial on backing up this router?

    Thanks

    Bill
    Bill, Aug 9, 2006

  2. Bill

    Merv Guest

    1. telnet to router
    2. into enable mode
    3. enable logging on your terminal emulator
    4. enter the following commands
    term lenght 0
    sh run
    5. turn off terminal logging
    6. the terminal emulation logging file should now contain teh contents
    of your configureation.
    Merv, Aug 9, 2006

  3. Bill

    Bill Guest

    "Merv" <> wrote in news:1155137598.317890.138110
    @m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

    > 1. telnet to router
    > 2. into enable mode
    > 3. enable logging on your terminal emulator
    > 4. enter the following commands
    > term lenght 0
    > sh run
    > 5. turn off terminal logging
    > 6. the terminal emulation logging file should now contain teh contents
    > of your configureation.

    How do I restore this if/when I screw up the router in the future.

    Bill
    Bill, Aug 9, 2006
  4. Bill

    Bill Guest

    Bill <> wrote in

    > "Merv" <> wrote in news:1155137598.317890.138110
    > @m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:
    >
    >> 1. telnet to router
    >> 2. into enable mode
    >> 3. enable logging on your terminal emulator
    >> 4. enter the following commands
    >> term lenght 0
    >> sh run
    >> 5. turn off terminal logging
    >> 6. the terminal emulation logging file should now contain teh contents
    >> of your configureation.
    >>

    > How do I restore this if/when I screw up the router in the future.
    >
    > Bill

    I just tried this and the 'run sh' command is not recognized. This is a
    series 800 router if that matters.

    Bill
    Bill, Aug 9, 2006
  5. Bill

    Bill Guest

    Bill <> wrote in

    > Bill <> wrote in
    >
    >> "Merv" <> wrote in news:1155137598.317890.138110
    >> @m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:
    >>
    >>> 1. telnet to router
    >>> 2. into enable mode
    >>> 3. enable logging on your terminal emulator
    >>> 4. enter the following commands
    >>> term lenght 0
    >>> sh run
    >>> 5. turn off terminal logging
    >>> 6. the terminal emulation logging file should now contain teh contents
    >>> of your configureation.
    >>>

    >> How do I restore this if/when I screw up the router in the future.
    >>
    >> Bill
    >>

    > I just tried this and the 'run sh' command is not recognized. This is a
    > series 800 router if that matters.
    >
    > Bill

    Dyslexic be must I, this morning. Running the right command 'sh run' does
    produce a settings report. Now how do I go about restoring the system
    using this?

    Bill
    Bill, Aug 9, 2006
  6. Bill

    Bill Guest

    Bill <> wrote in

    > Bill <> wrote in

    > Dyslexic be must I, this morning. Running the right command 'sh run'
    > does produce a settings report. Now how do I go about restoring the
    > system using this?
    >
    > Bill

    One final question before I sit back and wait for the knowledge to just
    flow in ;) Is the output of the sh run command the entire settings for
    the router? What I mean is if I had a factory fresh router could I use
    just the info from that command to completely set up the router up so that
    it would work if I just dropped in in place of the original router or is
    there something else I need. I'm just trying to cover my a.. ah I mean
    cover my bases so I don't have another round of 'Where the heck are my
    emails' and 'Why can't I get to my websites' again other than for a few
    minutes while I restore the router to pristine conditions.

    Bill
    Bill, Aug 9, 2006
  7. Bill

    Guest

    Bill wrote:
    > Bill <> wrote in
    >
    > > Bill <> wrote in

    > > Dyslexic be must I, this morning. Running the right command 'sh run'
    > > does produce a settings report. Now how do I go about restoring the
    > > system using this?
    > >
    > > Bill
    > >

    > One final question before I sit back and wait for the knowledge to just
    > flow in ;) Is the output of the sh run command the entire settings for
    > the router? What I mean is if I had a factory fresh router could I use
    > just the info from that command to completely set up the router up so that
    > it would work if I just dropped in in place of the original router or is
    > there something else I need. I'm just trying to cover my a.. ah I mean
    > cover my bases so I don't have another round of 'Where the heck are my
    > emails' and 'Why can't I get to my websites' again other than for a few
    > minutes while I restore the router to pristine conditions.

    The sh run does display /all/ of the settings - /except/ that

    by default some of the interfaces are shutdown

    some of them will need

    router# conf t
    router(config)#int atm 0
    router(config-if)#no shut
    router(config)#int eth0
    router(config-if)#no shut
    router(config-if)#end

    router# copy running-config startup-config

    Unfortunately cisco kit is all pretty much designed for
    professional use and it takes a while to get into it.

    You could try the GUI tools but my experience of them
    has not been that good.

    You really need one to play with to make sure that you
    do not have serious problems - unless you can deal with the
    resultant outage.

    ebay is your friend?

    It may seem weird that /some/ interfaces are shutdown
    but there are reasonable reasons for it. See recent post by me.

    ## AH I nearly forgot the MOST important bit ##

    When you change the config with the command line
    changes are not saved unless you save them specifically.

    So - you just reload or power off to restore.

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products...configuration_guide_book09186a008011a32f.html
    Cisco 826, 827, 828, 831, 836, and 837 and
    SOHO 76, 77, 78, 91, 96, and 97 Routers Software
    Configuration Guide
    , Aug 9, 2006
  8. Hi Bill,

    You may find the following Cisco 800 Series Config Wizards of interest.

    Cisco 851, 851W, 857, 857W, 871, 871W, 877, 877W Configuration Wizard:

    http://www.ifm.net.nz/cookbooks/800-isr-wizard.html

    Cisco 827/827H/SOHO97/837 Configuration Wizard:

    http://www.ifm.net.nz/cookbooks/configwizard.html

    Cisco IPv6 Config Wizard:

    http://www.ifm.net.nz/cookbooks/ipv6configwizard.html

    Cisco 827/827H/SOHO97/837 Basic Configuration:

    http://www.ifm.net.nz/cookbooks/827_basic_nz.html

    Cisco 827/827H/SOHO97/837 Firewall Configuration:

    http://www.ifm.net.nz/cookbooks/827_fw_nz.html

    Cisco 827/827H/837 Firewall PPTP Configuration:

    http://www.ifm.net.nz/cookbooks/827_fw_pptp_nz.html

    Cisco 827/827H/837 Business Configuration:

    http://www.ifm.net.nz/cookbooks/827_business_nz.html

    Cisco 827/827H/SOHO97/837 ADSL IPSec configuration:

    http://www.ifm.net.nz/cookbooks/827_ipsec_nz.html

    Cisco 827/827H/SOHO97/837 ADSL Firewall IPSec configuration:

    http://www.ifm.net.nz/cookbooks/827_fw_ipsec_nz.html

    Cisco 827H/SOHO97/837 GUI Config:

    http://www.ifm.net.nz/cookbooks/827h/

    How to load a config file onto a Cisco router:

    http://www.ifm.net.nz/cookbooks/loadingconfig.html

    How to do port forwarding (for sites with internal servers):

    http://www.ifm.net.nz/cookbooks/nat.html

    Hope these are of interest.

    Brad Reese
    BradReese.Com - Cisco Repair