Questions In 70-210 Exam?

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Neil, Jul 12, 2004.

  1. Neil

    Neil Guest

    "Brian Smith" <> wrote in news:1MwIc.390$cz3.176
    @newsfe2-gui.ntli.net:

    > My question is, is this type of question likely to come up in the 70-

    210
    > exam? It has nothing to do with Win2000

    yes it does. Windows 2000 (pro I might add since this is about the 210
    exam. don't forget the AD runs on 2000 as well just the server version)
    in a networked enviorment plays a part in the exam (look on the MS
    website at http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-210.asp#SKILLS).
    Part of the process is also determining when you can install win2kpro and
    what you need to do when you can't.

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, Jul 12, 2004

  2. Neil

    Brian Smith Guest

    Hi,

    I've been revising for my 70-210 exam, and have been looking at sites such
    as www.2000trainers.com which has example questions on it. One of the
    example questions is along the lines of:
    "You are implimenting AD in your company, but don't have the budget to
    upgrade all machines to win2000 so have to install Directory Services Client
    on NT4 machines"
    My question is, is this type of question likely to come up in the 70-210
    exam? It has nothing to do with Win2000, more to do with the AD exam 70-217.
    Another example question is about running Win2000 server and being
    interested in running DFS on it and how best to accomplish it when running
    Win98 & Win2000 clients. All the answers comment on root replicas, and DFS
    trees and roots.
    Is this likely to come up? It seems more a 70-215/70-217 question again.
    If these questions are going to crop up in the 70-210 exam, I'm going to
    have to revise a lot more for it, as none of the revision books I have (Mike
    Meyers Certification Passport - Osborne) mention anything about DSC or DFS.

    Cheers

    Brian

    Brian Smith, Jul 12, 2004

  3. Neil

    Neil Guest

    "Brian Smith" <> wrote in news:4dxIc.409$cz3.249
    @newsfe2-gui.ntli.net:

    > Also meant to say in the above:
    >
    > Looking at the topics in the link you provided
    > (http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-210.asp#SKILLS) The "Skills
    > measured by exam 70-210" table doesn't say anthing about DCS/DFS. I've
    > covered everything mentioned there, as long as thats what's only asked

    in
    > the exam I should be ok!

    while this is true, it does mention "Upgrade from a previous version of
    Windows to Windows 2000 Professional." and "Connect to shared resources
    on a Microsoft network." both of which could lead into this type of
    question. You should know the limitations that are overcome by the DSC.
    Might come up and might not. I would have a look at:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/server/evaluation/news/bulletins/ade
    xtension.asp or if it wrapshttp://tinyurl.com/gaxi
    and at least know where the client would be a benefit (which doesn't
    directly tie to DFS but DFS Fault Tollerance is one area the client is
    required in for 9x/NT Clients)

    Know everything and you wont be disappointed. my 2¢

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, Jul 12, 2004
  4. Neil

    Brian Smith Guest

    > yes it does. Windows 2000 (pro I might add since this is about the 210
    > exam. don't forget the AD runs on 2000 as well just the server version)
    > in a networked enviorment plays a part in the exam (look on the MS
    > website at http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-210.asp#SKILLS).
    > Part of the process is also determining when you can install win2kpro and
    > what you need to do when you can't.

    I know the 70-210 expects you to understand that it can be part of an active
    directory, the books I've read cover AD, and how group policies work, DNS,
    DHCP, RIS, etc, and networking such as TCP/IP, protocol binding, VPN
    encryption and everything, infact I'd say the books cover networking in one
    aspect or another, more than any other topic, whether its from protocols, to
    share permissions to troubleshooting NICs. However none of the books (have
    read 3 now) mention DFS or DSC at all.

    I guess I can see how DFS might be mentioned in an exam question, (although
    not in one as complex as the one on www.2000trainers.com) but DSC isn't need
    on win2k pro, as its designed to allow users to run AD on Win9x/NT4, win2k
    can do it on its own.

    Brian

    Brian Smith, Jul 12, 2004
  6. Neil

    RH Guest

    Since when did they revise W2K Pro to be able to run AD
    as you suggest in your post above? It has to be the
    server OS in order to run AD.

    RH, Jul 12, 2004
  7. Neil

    Neil Guest

    "RH" <> wrote in news:2b28001c4683a
    $085d7170$:

    > Since when did they revise W2K Pro to be able to run AD
    > as you suggest in your post above? It has to be the
    > server OS in order to run AD.

    WHAT IN THE NAME OF A HOLY HANDGRENADE BROUGHT YOU TO THIS?

    no win2kpor does not run AD. I did NOT suggest that it could! I did
    suggest that the OP should recognise the need for a Directory Services
    Client in given situations. going back and looking.......NO STILL DON'T
    SEE WHERE I SAID win2kpro WAS AD ENABLED!

    cripes that was a leap...

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, Jul 12, 2004
  8. Neil

    Neil Guest

    "Brian Smith" <> wrote in news:25CIc.302$KA2.298
    @newsfe5-gui.ntli.net:

    > I've already read 100s books, and visited 100s websites, watched a set of
    > CDs, feel like my head is going to explode!

    wait for the "ka-boom" and you're ready for the exam...
    ;)

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, Jul 12, 2004
  9. Neil

    catwalker63 Guest

    You could try looking at the books for server. Some overlap is to be
    expected.

    --
    Kelley
    aka catwalker
    "Brian Smith" <> wrote in message
    > > while this is true, it does mention "Upgrade from a previous version of
    > > Windows to Windows 2000 Professional." and "Connect to shared resources
    > > on a Microsoft network." both of which could lead into this type of
    > > question. You should know the limitations that are overcome by the DSC.
    > > Might come up and might not. I would have a look at:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/server/evaluation/news/bulletins/ade
    > > xtension.asp or if it wrapshttp://tinyurl.com/gaxi
    > > and at least know where the client would be a benefit (which doesn't
    > > directly tie to DFS but DFS Fault Tollerance is one area the client is
    > > required in for 9x/NT Clients)
    > >
    > > Know everything and you wont be disappointed. my 2¢
    > >
    > > --
    > > Neil MCNGP #30
    > > "you'd do what, to who, for how many biscuits?"

    > I can see what your saying, I will try to cram somemore text books in to

    my

    catwalker63, Jul 12, 2004
  10. Neil

    Brian Smith Guest

    Brian Smith, Jul 12, 2004
  11. Neil

    Brian Smith Guest

    > WHAT IN THE NAME OF A HOLY HANDGRENADE BROUGHT YOU TO THIS?
    >
    > no win2kpor does not run AD. I did NOT suggest that it could! I did
    > suggest that the OP should recognise the need for a Directory Services
    > Client in given situations. going back and looking.......NO STILL DON'T
    > SEE WHERE I SAID win2kpro WAS AD ENABLED!
    >
    > cripes that was a leap...
    >
    > --
    > Neil MCNGP #30

    Yeah I was wondering what he was going on about!

    Brian Smith, Jul 12, 2004
  12. Neil

    Neil Guest

    "Brian Smith" <> wrote in

    > Yeah I have the Mike Meyers Certification Passport book for 70-215 as
    > well, which I was going to start on after passing 70-210, however it
    > looks like I might have to read it first. I also have the same book
    > for xp pro 70-270, I was hoping to do win2k pro/xp pro and win2k
    > server close together, because of the overlap between each.

    Kelley's plan is good but 210/270 is redundant. 210-215 would be god to
    do in tandem due to the overlap (but they are significantly different
    items) but 270 would be a lot of the same for no reason. IMHO

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, Jul 12, 2004
  13. Neil

    Brian Smith Guest

    Brian Smith, Jul 12, 2004
  14. Neil

    JaR Guest

    Brian Smith wrote:

    >>Kelley's plan is good but 210/270 is redundant. 210-215 would be god to
    >>do in tandem due to the overlap (but they are significantly different
    >>items) but 270 would be a lot of the same for no reason. IMHO
    >>
    >>--
    >>Neil MCNGP #30
    >>"you'd do what, to who, for how many biscuits?"

    > But wouldn't it look better on a cv to be an MCP in win xp as well? Some
    > companies may be looking for someone to support xp & 2k.
    > As xp & 2k have a fair bit of overlap, I thought it might be worth taking
    > the exam as well, as it wouldn't involve much more revision that what I've
    > already done. Just a kinda topup type thing.

    I don't know how many HR departments even know the difference. But as
    long as you've got the $125 to spend, I'm sure MS will applaud your efforts.

    JaR

    JaR, Jul 12, 2004
  15. Neil

    catwalker63 Guest

    If you are going for the MCSA or MCSE, only one of the
    workstation/professional exams will count. Do either one for a 2000
    MCSA/MCSE track. For your own edification, learning the differences is
    valuable but it won't count on a resume/cv for much.

    catwalker63, Jul 12, 2004
  16. Neil

    Brian Smith Guest

    Brian Smith, Jul 12, 2004
  17. Neil

    Neil Guest

    "Brian Smith" <> wrote in

    > But wouldn't it look better on a cv to be an MCP in win xp as well?
    > Some companies may be looking for someone to support xp & 2k.
    > As xp & 2k have a fair bit of overlap, I thought it might be worth
    > taking the exam as well, as it wouldn't involve much more revision
    > that what I've already done. Just a kinda topup type thing.

    whatever, but wouldn't it be better if you had an MCSE on Win2k3? but
    whatever floats yer boat (I would have done JUST the 270 but then the
    client I used for my MCSE was win95 - the other choice was Win 3.11 but I
    thought that was getting stale since win95 had arrived.<grin>)

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30 MCSE 3.51/4.0/Win2k/Win2k3 (and some other stuff)

    Neil, Jul 13, 2004
  18. Neil

    Neil Guest

    JaR <> wrote in

    > I don't know how many HR departments even know the difference. But as
    > long as you've got the $125 to spend, I'm sure MS will applaud your
    > efforts.

    but he will need 250 for the 2 exams (isn't that the price of the NM
    cookies? interesting....)

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, Jul 13, 2004
  19. Neil

    Neil Guest

    "catwalker63" <> wrote in

    > learning the differences is
    > valuable but it won't count on a resume/cv for much.

    actually knowing the products is even better than resume/cv/HR stuff. You
    would actually be able to do the job then...

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, Jul 13, 2004
  20. Neil