Questions about XP Pro vs. XP Media Edition/XP Home Edition

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?R3JlZw==?=, Aug 8, 2006.

  1. Hi,

    I'm a graphic designer currently using Windows XP Media Edition on a Gateway
    PC with an AMD 64bit (4200) processor. I am told that my computer will run
    faster/better/more efficiently with XP professional since it's designed for
    the dial core processors. My computer seems to run fine except there's
    occasional "lag" when mousing, especially when running multiple programs like
    Photoshop and Illustrator. I have 'bout a gig of memory and plan to get
    more. My questions to you folks:

    What benefits if any will I see by upgrading to XP Pro?
    Will I have to reformat my Hard disk or can I install XP over my currant OS,
    thus keeping my settings, programs, etc?
    How about drivers. How much difficulty there?
    Will I lose my Windows Media capabilities? (I rarely use the Media center
    however).
    Any other issues that I should be aware of?

    Thanks in advance for the help!!

    Best,

    Greg
    =?Utf-8?B?R3JlZw==?=, Aug 8, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?R3JlZw==?=

    Zack Uribe Guest

    1) This is the 64 bit OS newsgroup, and neither standard XP Pro, nor XP
    Media Center are 64 bit.
    2) Are you sure your MCE is on XP HOME? I believe the default is for Media
    Center to be installed on XP Pro.

    Zack Uribe, Aug 9, 2006

  3. Greg wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm a graphic designer currently using Windows XP Media Edition on a Gateway
    > PC with an AMD 64bit (4200) processor. I am told that my computer will run
    > faster/better/more efficiently with XP professional since it's designed for
    > the dial core processors. My computer seems to run fine except there's
    > occasional "lag" when mousing, especially when running multiple programs like
    > Photoshop and Illustrator. I have 'bout a gig of memory and plan to get
    > more. My questions to you folks:
    >
    > What benefits if any will I see by upgrading to XP Pro?
    > Will I have to reformat my Hard disk or can I install XP over my currant OS,
    > thus keeping my settings, programs, etc?
    > How about drivers. How much difficulty there?
    > Will I lose my Windows Media capabilities? (I rarely use the Media center
    > however).
    > Any other issues that I should be aware of?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for the help!!
    >
    > Best,
    >
    > Greg

    Transitioning from WinXP MCE to WinXP Pro is a _downgrade_.

    WinXP Media Center Edition is a _superset_ (iow, it does
    _everything_ WinXP Pro can do (except join a domain), plus contains
    additional multi-media features) of WinXP Pro.

    Windows XP Media Center Edition Home
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ehome/default.asp

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. -Bertrum Russell
    Bruce Chambers, Aug 9, 2006
  4. The first MCE was built on Pro but MCE 2005 is built on Home.

    Colin Barnhorst, Aug 9, 2006
  5. Try microsoft.public.windowsxp.general. This ng is for 64bit operating
    systems.

    Colin Barnhorst, Aug 9, 2006
  6. =?Utf-8?B?R3JlZw==?=

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Not exactly - there has been much debate over this but - especially
    in some of the MS marketing materials. MCE 2005 is more Pro than
    home. However, since this is an x64 group --

    On Tue, 8 Aug 2006 20:20:13 -0600, "Colin Barnhorst"
    <colinbarharst(remove)@msn.com> wrote:

    >The first MCE was built on Pro but MCE 2005 is built on Home.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP
    Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist
    Barb Bowman, Aug 9, 2006
  7. Right, but let me rephrase my original: What benefit(s) would I realize by
    changing over to a 64bit operating system? When I get info on my OS it says
    Windows XP - Professional (5.1.2600) and the processor is an AMD Athalon
    64x2 Dual Core Processor 4200. So I think my version of Windows is 32bit and
    I wondering if I'll get better performance with Windows Pro 64bit?

    Thanks,

    Greg

    =?Utf-8?B?R3JlZw==?=, Aug 9, 2006
  8. Greg wrote:
    > Right, but let me rephrase my original: What benefit(s) would I realize by
    > changing over to a 64bit operating system? When I get info on my OS it says
    > Windows XP - Professional (5.1.2600) and the processor is an AMD Athalon
    > 64x2 Dual Core Processor 4200. So I think my version of Windows is 32bit and
    > I wondering if I'll get better performance with Windows Pro 64bit?

    You'll probably see marginally better performance from the 64-bit OS,
    assuming that you have no trouble finding 64-bit device drivers for all
    of your peripherals, but it won't be a great gain, as there are still so
    very few 64-bit applications to further leverage the hardware's (and
    operating system's) capabilities.

    Bruce Chambers, Aug 9, 2006
  9. The hardware is no reason to use x64. Your applications are. Without
    knowing what problems you are running into running some of your apps it is
    hard to say what advantage there might be to using x64. Unless you are
    using apps that are bumping the 2GB x86 boundary I see little to gain from
    x64. Remember, x64 is not an upgrade to x86, it is an alternative for those
    needing much greater resources for something they have been doing and x86 is
    not able to give it to them.

    Colin Barnhorst, Aug 9, 2006