Questions about Using Microsoft Communities Newsgroups

Discussion in 'Microsoft Certification' started by hedera, Jul 14, 2009.

  1. hedera

    hedera Guest

    This is almost certainly the wrong forum to ask these questions, but I can't
    find a "right" forum, so maybe someone can direct me.

    I regularly use the Microsoft community newsgroups for research on problems
    in the volunteer technical work I do, and very helpful they are. But it
    isn't helpful when I get an email notice from Microsoft Communities that I
    have a reply to a subscribed thread, and when I click on the "Read and rate
    the response" link in athe email, I get a blank HTML page. I have to go to
    the list of discussion groups, and find English, and find my group manually,
    and then find my post, to read the response. This is a colossal annoyance.
    I read my email on a Windows XP SP3 box. Is there something I should have
    installed and didn't, like Windows Live or Silverlight? Why is it doing this?

    My second question is related - when I try to sign in using my Microsoft
    Live userid, clicking 'sign in' takes me to an HTML error page; but when I
    hit the "back" button twice, I'm back in the newsgroup and now I'm signed in!
    Once again, is there something I didn't think was necessary that I need to
    install? Is there a setting I need to change?

    Thank you for your time.
    --
    hedera

    Nature bats last.

    hedera, Jul 14, 2009

  2. "hedera" <> wrote in message
    > This is almost certainly the wrong forum to ask these questions, but I
    > can't
    > find a "right" forum, so maybe someone can direct me.
    >
    > I regularly use the Microsoft community newsgroups for research on
    > problems
    > in the volunteer technical work I do, and very helpful they are. But it
    > isn't helpful when I get an email notice from Microsoft Communities that I
    > have a reply to a subscribed thread, and when I click on the "Read and
    > rate
    > the response" link in athe email, I get a blank HTML page.

    This, actually, is a "just discovered" issue in the past day or so, and
    you're not the only one experiencing the issue. It's apparently caused by
    overriding the font settings in your web browser. Reset your browser to
    allow the *site* to define the font settings, and the page will properly
    display.

    Obviously this is a 'bug' in the Microsoft Forums software -- but how long
    it will take to remediate this issue (and a few other ones that shouldn't
    have slipped into the lastest update cycle) I cannot say.

    > My second question is related - when I try to sign in using my Microsoft
    > Live userid, clicking 'sign in' takes me to an HTML error page; but when I
    > hit the "back" button twice, I'm back in the newsgroup and now I'm signed
    > in!

    The Forums have *never* reliably worked with Passport/WindowsLive sign
    ins -- and they get especially confused if you're using more than one WL
    account simultaneously.

    > Once again, is there something I didn't think was necessary that I need to
    > install? Is there a setting I need to change?

    This is not likely anything on your side -- just a manifestation of the
    (still) less-than-transparent functionality between Microsoft web properties
    and their own authentication mechanisms.

    --
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA

    Lawrence Garvin [MVP], Jul 15, 2009

  3. hedera

    hedera Guest

    Lawrence,
    Thanks SO much for the response, and the suggestion about the browser fonts
    - I'll try that. (I didn't actually realize I'd overridden them, I usually
    run with defaults. Oh well.) As for "just discovered in the last day or
    so," I've been experiencing this for several weeks, I just didn't know how to
    complain about it! At least now it's a known problem and will hopefully be
    resolved soon.

    On the Windows Live login issue - I only have one WL account, so it isn't
    the multiple account problem. As for the fact that Microsoft's
    authentication system can't talk to Microsoft's user forums, what can I say??
    --
    hedera

    Nature bats last.

    hedera, Jul 15, 2009
  4. hedera

    hedera Guest

    Lawrence,
    I just checked my settings in IE8, and I am using the font defaults - Times
    New Roman for proportional and Courier New for fixed pitch. I know these are
    the default because I hate these fonts and always override them if I know
    they're there! (I prefer Verdana and Lucida Console.) And I still get the
    blank page when I click on the "Read and rate the response" link, so I don't
    think it's as simple as you thought.
    --
    hedera

    Nature bats last.

    hedera, Jul 15, 2009
  5. "hedera" <> wrote in message
    > Lawrence,
    > I just checked my settings in IE8, and I am using the font defaults -
    > Times
    > New Roman for proportional and Courier New for fixed pitch. I know these
    > are
    > the default because I hate these fonts and always override them if I know
    > they're there! (I prefer Verdana and Lucida Console.) And I still get
    > the
    > blank page when I click on the "Read and rate the response" link, so I
    > don't
    > think it's as simple as you thought.

    Possibly not.

    I might also have misinterpreted your description of your issue as being
    similar to another issue.

    In any event, there is at least one known issue with rendering of those
    pages, and your time frame sounds quite close to the point at which the
    latest forums/communities updates were rolled out.

    There's a forum for posting issues with forums. Posting there would be my
    best suggestion at this point.

    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/reportabug/threads

    --
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA

    Lawrence Garvin [MVP], Jul 15, 2009
  6. hedera

    hedera Guest

    Thank you again, Lawrence, I will go and post my issue in that forum.
    --
    hedera

    Nature bats last.

    hedera, Jul 15, 2009