Questions about User Profiles

Discussion in 'MCSA' started by dogray77, Nov 22, 2006.

  1. dogray77

    dogray77 Guest

    After joining my workstation to the domain (finally), I went to the
    Properties of My Computer(on the client), accessed the Advanced Tab, selected
    the User Profiles button and attempted to copy the Profile to a network share
    on the server. It started, but hung, eventually saying that the application
    was not responding. I believe it has to do with the size of the Profile and
    the weak processor on the client. Now I have a few general questions about
    profile management:

    What are some helpful ways I can reduce the size of the profile?

    Is there a best practice maximum user profile size?

    In this case (since I only have the two networked computers) is it even
    advisable to copy the local profile to the server?

    Would it work if I clicked the 'Allow to Use' button and specified a user in
    Active Directory? The point is I want to be able to use the local profile
    even if I'm logged on to the domain.

    What information exactly would have been saved onto the network share had I
    been allowed to copy it?

    As a general practice, does it matter which share I save the profile to on
    the server?

    Can I just share any folder and specify that as the profile location of the
    user account, or do I always need to put it in the built-in User Profile
    folder on the server?

    Also, could you refresh my memory about how to create a roaming User
    Profile? I seem to remember it having something to do with %username%
    something or other.

    Finally, am I right in assuming that if I wanted to create roaming profiles
    in a workgroup, that I would just have to change the type of the profile from
    local to roaming?

    Thanks
    dogray77, Nov 22, 2006

  2. this is wrong way,you may go microsoft.public.windows.server.general

    Birol AYDUGAN, Nov 29, 2006

  3. dogray77

    Vinhaxor Guest

    Yes, you can define the user profile size by editing the GPO on your
    server.And also use the server to create and manager accounts on you client
    computer. This will help you diagonise problems easily unless it is really
    necessary to use the client machine.

    Good lucky
    "Vinhaxor"

    Vinhaxor, Dec 15, 2006