Questions about the Address Bar drop-down list

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Captain Infinity, Jan 5, 2005.

  1. Firefox 1.0 running on Windows XP

    The Address Bar drop-down list...how is it populated? What action, once
    performed, is responsible for the addition of a URL to the list? What
    determines how many addresses are kept on the list? How does one clear
    the list, or edit it?

    I usually find it more helpful than the History lists, which can
    contains dozens, maybe hundreds, of links I've visited. But there are
    times when I expect to see an address on the drop-down list, and it's
    not there.

    Earlier today my boss called me into his office and said that his list,
    which had contained a dozen or more addresses, now only showed five. He
    had no idea why or how the others disappeared, and neither did I. So
    we're trying to figure out what might have happened and how we can
    adjust the list to our liking.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    **
    Captain Infinity
    ..."Without the love, it's just a ball of meat." --Marie Barone

    Captain Infinity, Jan 5, 2005

  2. Captain Infinity

    J.O. Aho Guest

    Captain Infinity wrote:
    > Firefox 1.0 running on Windows XP
    >
    > The Address Bar drop-down list...how is it populated? What action, once
    > performed, is responsible for the addition of a URL to the list? What
    > determines how many addresses are kept on the list? How does one clear
    > the list, or edit it?

    It's a bit of magic, but usually it's those addresses that you have once typed
    into the locationb-bar.

    At least in Mozilla it's in your Edit/Preferences.../Navigator/History
    You have the option "Clear Location Bar". I don't editing is on the TODO list,
    but had been nice IMHO.

    > Earlier today my boss called me into his office and said that his list,
    > which had contained a dozen or more addresses, now only showed five. He
    > had no idea why or how the others disappeared, and neither did I. So
    > we're trying to figure out what might have happened and how we can
    > adjust the list to our liking.

    Both the location-bar and the history is linked to a "remeber" value, which is
    messured in days, when you haven't visited the link for that many days, it
    will be removed from history (including the location-bar).

    So if you don't want things to disapear, then increase the number of days
    before they are removed or do visit the pages a more often. If it's an
    important page, then adding it to the bookmarks would be a quite good idea.

    //Aho

    J.O. Aho, Jan 6, 2005