    just want to know if it's a big focus or a focus at all on the test from
    your all experiences. I'll probably read my 3 pages of notes on them but
    memorizing them is the part I want to know whether I need to do or not. LoL
    Keith Chilton, Dec 2, 2006

  2. As a good rule of thumb, stick with the "specifics" of Windows XP
    Professional. :)

    --
    Michael D. Alligood
    MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,

    "Keith Chilton" <> wrote in
    message news::

    Michael D. Alligood, Dec 2, 2006

  3. Keith Chilton

    Montreal MCT Guest

    I would suggest knowing that Home cannot join a domain, but I do not
    remember anything much deeper than that. Professional is much more
    prevalent.

    Montreal MCT, Dec 2, 2006
  4. What do you mean no MS backup? Also what do you mean you can't remote to the
    machine? Does that mean you can't do Remote Desktop? Also what does not
    having the ability to TO the machine mean?

    Keith Chilton, Dec 2, 2006
  5. I'm looking at User groups right now and I'm trying to look at the
    differences between Power Users, Administrators and Users...

    Some interesting things popped out to me.. Users can not share directories
    or printers? wow

    Is their a focus towards knowing all these differences for User groups?

    Where do you think I should focus most of my time on to study for this test?
    Keith Chilton, Dec 2, 2006
  6. I've noticed today as I've been studying I keep ending up reading KB
    articles at Microsoft. LoL

    Very educational
    Keith Chilton, Dec 2, 2006
  7. Keith Chilton wrote:
    > What do you mean no MS backup? Also what do you mean you can't remote to the
    > machine? Does that mean you can't do Remote Desktop? Also what does not
    > having the ability to TO the machine mean?

    XP Home does not include the backup program (look under accessories,
    system tools). It can be installed but it is not installed as part of
    the OS.

    On remote desktop, XP Home can remote desktop to a Windows server or XP
    pro box. However, others cannot remote desktop TO the XP Home.
    Basically, the distinction is that Home does not have the terminal
    services/remote desktop capabilities that Pro has.

    If this isn't clear, let me know.

    Jonathan
    Jonathan Roberts, Dec 2, 2006
  8. oh you confused me when you said "TO" because I thought it was an acronym
    lol

    Oh you just mean the Backup Utility program. Yes I was aware of that from my
    reading. That utility really sucks by the way. I've tried it out and was not
    impressed.

    I find it interesting you can do remote desktops to a home machine but not
    from a home machine. What sense does that make? Apparently they planned Home
    so that it is capable of Remote Desktop and had it mind but didnt want the
    Home user to be able to become help desk support for each other. LOL

    Keith Chilton, Dec 2, 2006
  9. Keith Chilton wrote:
    > I find it interesting you can do remote desktops to a home machine but not
    > from a home machine. What sense does that make? Apparently they planned Home
    > so that it is capable of Remote Desktop and had it mind but didnt want the
    > Home user to be able to become help desk support for each other. LOL

    Just to be clear: the above is backwards. XP Home PC's can connect to
    Windows servers and XP pro machines. It cannot be connected to,
    however, by other machines. Ie. it cannot be the host. I hope this
    makes sense.
    Jonathan Roberts, Dec 3, 2006
  10. I am worried about some things on the test....

    A) Local Security Policy
    B) Group Policy
    C) All the different user rights you can allow or deny in these tools.

    I would like to play around and learn about these tools this weekend but I
    can't because I don't have XP Pro here at home. I could get VirtualPC I
    guess but can somebody just say some stuff about these topics to guide me in
    how much I need to look them up and learn about them before Monday?

    To top it all off my Trial Version of MS Office 2003 expired Thursday night.
    I knew it was going to expire that day weeks ahead of time so luckily I had
    been messing around in it but I'm still a little worried about all the
    different topics that could be addressed in Word and Outlook.
    Keith Chilton, Dec 3, 2006
  11. Do not be concerned with Group Policies now. As far as the local
    security policies go, it is "Microsoft Best Practices" to create users,
    assign users to groups and assign permissions to those groups. Just be
    aware of what local security policies are and what you can do with them.
    With that said, rights and permissions are areas I would concentrate on.

    --
    Michael D. Alligood
    MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,

    "Keith Chilton" <> wrote in
    message news:#:

    Michael D. Alligood, Dec 3, 2006
  12. I've got so much information in my head i'm going to explode! LoL I'm ready
    to get it over with tommorow!

    Just remember , Deny Rghts take precedence over Allow Rights LoL That goes
    for women too... LoL
    Keith Chilton, Dec 3, 2006
  13. I got a 754 which passes lol I realized as I was taking it that I studied
    too many specific details and memorizing those. If the test were very
    specific in nature I would have gotten like a 900 LOL There were some areas
    I wasn't 100% confident in and then of course those areas that had to keep
    asking me over and over again LOL I remember one subject was like asked me
    5-6 times LOL

    Anyways I passed and I know how MS test look now and how they ask their
    questions. Hopefully I'll score higher on the 271 test :)
    Keith Chilton, Dec 4, 2006