questions about switching to mozilla

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by RB, Oct 31, 2003.

  1. RB

    RB Guest

    I'm considering switching over to Mozilla for browser and email. I'm now
    running Win XP. I use OE and IE, and have the following questions:

    1. Is there an XP compatible version of Mozilla?

    2. Do I have to uninstall OE and IE to use Mozilla?

    3. Are any/all of my OE email files transferable to Mozilla so I can still
    read my email?

    4. Is my OE address book transferable?

    5. Is my IE Favorites list transferable?

    Where I ask about transferability, I mean simply by exporting to Mozilla, or
    copying, or some such.

    I know how to print out my address book and favorites, and could then
    re-enter them into Mozilla. But, it would much more convenient to be able
    to simply "scoot" them over into Mozilla.

    RB, Oct 31, 2003

  2. RB

    Aron Hess Guest

    Stardate 10/31/03 6:44 AM, RB sat a million monkeys at a million
    typewriters and produced the following:
    > I'm considering switching over to Mozilla for browser and email. I'm now
    > running Win XP. I use OE and IE, and have the following questions:
    >
    > 1. Is there an XP compatible version of Mozilla?

    You betcha

    > 2. Do I have to uninstall OE and IE to use Mozilla?

    Nope

    > 3. Are any/all of my OE email files transferable to Mozilla so I can still
    > read my email?
    >
    > 4. Is my OE address book transferable?
    >
    > 5. Is my IE Favorites list transferable?

    yes, yes, yes... it's very easy

    Aron Hess, Oct 31, 2003

  3. RB

    RB Guest

    }}} RB sat a million monkeys at a million
    typewriters and produced the following: {{{

    Totally inaccurate. There were never any million monkeys at my keyboard.
    Only one...........

    Thanks for the quick response. Sounds encouraging. I'm always a little
    timid about these kinds of "jump off the cliff" type changes, but this makes
    it sound like maybe that cliff is only a few feet high, not thousands.

    RB, Oct 31, 2003
  4. RB

    Aron Hess Guest

    Stardate 10/31/03 12:43 PM, RB sat a monkey in front of his computer and
    produced the following:

    > Thanks for the quick response. Sounds encouraging. I'm always a little
    > timid about these kinds of "jump off the cliff" type changes, but this makes
    > it sound like maybe that cliff is only a few feet high, not thousands.

    Yeah, there really is no cliff... none of you existing settings get
    changed, and Mozilla can be completely uninstalled by deleting two
    folders (If it comes down to it). Plus, once you get used to the tabbed
    browsing, never seeing an unwanted pop-up ever again, and little to zero
    spyware installed on your system, you'll wonder how you ever lived
    without it.

    Have fun, and remember, Mozilla is customizable to your hearts content.
    If there's something you don't like or wish it did, chances are it can
    be taken care of. If you have ANY questions, someone will be here to
    help you out. Later, Aron

    Aron Hess, Oct 31, 2003
  5. RB

    Hellmark Guest

    Aron Hess's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his
    body were:
    > Yeah, there really is no cliff... none of you existing settings get
    > changed, and Mozilla can be completely uninstalled by deleting two
    > folders (If it comes down to it). Plus, once you get used to the tabbed
    > browsing, never seeing an unwanted pop-up ever again, and little to zero
    > spyware installed on your system, you'll wonder how you ever lived
    > without it.
    > Have fun, and remember, Mozilla is customizable to your hearts content.
    > If there's something you don't like or wish it did, chances are it can
    > be taken care of. If you have ANY questions, someone will be here to
    > help you out. Later, Aron

    I've been using Firebird for a while now, and thunderbird since the very
    beginning, and I love them both. They blow anything MS out of the water.

    --
    Hellmark
    -If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with bullshit!

    Hellmark, Nov 1, 2003
  6. RB

    Guido Jurock Guest

    RB schrieb:

    > I'm considering switching over to Mozilla for browser and email. I'm
    > now running Win XP. I use OE and IE, and have the following
    > questions:
    >
    > 1. Is there an XP compatible version of Mozilla?

    Of course. Use the windows-version.

    > 2. Do I have to uninstall OE and IE to use Mozilla?

    Of course _not_! Mozilla replaces both programs and also comes with a
    not so bad html-Editor, an IRC-client and some developer tools.

    > 3. Are any/all of my OE email files transferable to Mozilla so I can
    > still read my email?

    Yes, you can import mails from Netscape Communicator 4.x, Eudora,
    Outlook Express and Outlook.

    > 4. Is my OE address book transferable?

    You can import address books from the programms mentioned above and
    from the following formats: LDIF, .tab, .csv, .txt

    > 5. Is my IE Favorites list transferable?

    Very easy. IIRC Mozilla does this autmagicly during installation.

    > Where I ask about transferability, I mean simply by exporting to
    > Mozilla, or copying, or some such.

    What about alt.fan.mozilla?

    guido

    --
    "Es muß nicht, nur weil jemand etwas sagt,
    sich dabei auch etwas denken lassen."

    Guido Jurock, Nov 1, 2003