    Wireless bridge is about 4 meter away from the router in the same room.
    Could this cuase additional delay?

    Thank you
    Sitti, Oct 17, 2005

  2. Sitti

    Paul Guest

    It's perfectly normal, you'll get the same thing with a cell phone or a long
    distance call.
    VoIP encodes your voice and sends them over the internet as packets, these
    take time to reach their destination.
    Moving your equipment around won't yeild any noticeable change in the delay.

    "Sitti" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I just received my packet8 order and activated my account. Everything work
    > fine but I noticed one thing. When I talk on regular phone, I immediately
    > start hearing the voice when the other side starts talking. But on VoIP, I
    > notice there is a very slight delay. I hear the voice about less than a
    > second after the other side talks. Also the same for the other side. Is

    this

    Paul, Oct 17, 2005

  3. Sitti

    Michael Guest

    Hmm. I haven't experienced that try connecting your Broadband phone
    adapter directly to the router. Actully, Packet8 has great tech support
    call them if your on hold for more then five minutes i'll be shocked!!

    Michael, Oct 18, 2005
  4. Sitti

    wkearney99 Guest

    > Is this normal for VoIP?

    It is if your bandwidth is saturated with other traffic. Stop anything else
    that might be using the internet connection. See if the latency stops.
    Then try using a speed checker like the one on dslreports. See what actual
    throughput you're getting on your network connections. Why bother putting
    the adapter behind a wireless link? Why introduce another point of delays?
    Set it up wired, at least for testing purporses.
    wkearney99, Oct 18, 2005
  5. Sitti

    Sitti Guest

    Hello,

    Thank you for your replies.

    I have tried plug directly into router but it did not improve at all. I have
    Verison's FiOS 30Mbps download and 5Mbps upload, so bandwidth is not an
    issue. I check my bandwidth with dslreports so many times. When I ping I
    get: Wireless Bridge = 1ms, and broadband phone adapter = 4ms average. I
    don't think my wireless setup is causing this voice delay.

    Sitti, Oct 19, 2005
  6. Sitti

    wkearney99 Guest

    > I have tried plug directly into router but it did not improve at all. I
    have
    > Verison's FiOS 30Mbps download and 5Mbps upload, so bandwidth is not an
    > issue. I check my bandwidth with dslreports so many times.

    And how close to the 30/5 bandwidth figures do you see?

    As for ping, to where? Pinging a local box doesn't tell you much. Ping, or
    better yet, traceroute, to the distant VOIP server's IP address and THEN
    you'll see some better detail.

    Since you're foolishly using Suprizon's services, is it any wonder VoIP
    mysteriously doesn't work?
    wkearney99, Oct 19, 2005